More stuff starting this weekend.

1. 482
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom
    APR
    On Sunday evening, it is the start of the MotoGP season. Live on BBC3 at 9pm from Qatar (11pm local time, all fine, so long as they don't have a power cut).

Sadly, even though I will watch it, I have a horrible feeling it will be the "Valentino" show again, although Casey Stoner was fastest in the first practice today. It is not really that close in comparison to Superbikes, with most of the action perhaps happening in the lower places. But then it has only been one practice so far. James Toseland 11th by the way.

I am more interested in the "tiddlers", i.e. the 125cc race. The fastest team includes Bradley Smith, plus the other 2 Brits from last year are there, Danny Webb, and Scott Redding (The lad that astounded everyone last year by winning the British GP race, and breaking several records in the process, including being the younger ever winner of a Motorcycle Grand Prix race at 15 years and 170 days) plus a newcomer called Matthew Hoyle.

The new guy hasn't got a hope sadly. His times today were 11 seconds off the leader, but then he is riding what is essentially a Chinese bike, still very much in development. Hopefully the involvement - I'm not sure in what capacity - of a British Motorsport Legend, i.e. John Surtees, in the team will help.

Then on Monday, it is the start of the BSB season. No more live coverage on ITV, but there will be highlights shown on ITV4 next Saturday afternoon, then again on the following Tuesday evening.

A load of big names have gone from the series (And so far finding it tough to do well on the "World stage") but I don't think that will detract from the racing. All the regulars will provide entertainment, i.e. Leon Camier, Karl Harris, Micheal Rutter and Steve Plater. Chris Walker is back riding a Yamaha, and the two new faces I think to watch out for are Glen Richards (Aussie who won the Supersports championship last on a Triumph, who is riding the HM Plant Honda along with Plater), and Slyvain Guintoli.

Guintoli is one of two Frenchman in the championship this year, who has come over from MotoGP. He has had some good results over the last couple of years, despite not being on a top bike. So he is definitely worth watching. Plus of course, the Suzuki is always pretty damn quick !.

He only knows Donington out of all the British tracks, racing there in MotoGP, but it is one of his "local" circuits, being a Leicester resident - and married to an English girl.
    Join BC Forums To Reply Join BC Forums To Reply
  2. 488
    United Kingdom
    APR
    Well that turned out to be a "damp squib" literally. The 125cc race ran for 4 laps, before being red flagged because of a rainstorm, and called a result there and then.

The problem being that Rain and Floodlights do not make a good mix.

The 250cc race was shortened, and then the Rain started again minutes before the MotoGP race was about to start. So it never happened. It may be ran tomorrow, but whether it will be on TV or not is another matter.

Just as daft at the circumstances of the Malaysian F1 race last week, only worse. I have no idea why they decided to have it as a floodlight race, at 11pm local time (9pm here). This time of year, the day time temperature is only about 30c, and certainly not too hot for a bike race... bizarre.
  3. 489
    United Kingdom
    APR
    The race will now be run tomorrow evening, at 7pm. No idea whether it will be on TV or not.

I was a bit confused about the matter of Eurosport "losing" the rights to show the race live. It appears that they can show the other races, and live Practice and Qualifying, but they can't show the actual MotoGP race live... that is apparently exclusive to the BBC now.

So I don't yet know whether I will be able to see the race tomorrow. But at least there is BSB to watch on Eurosport tomorrow.
  4. 491
    United Kingdom
    APR
    Great racing from Brands Hatch today. As I predicted, Sylain Guintoli did well, getting a 1st and 2nd, and taking the lead in the Championship. Great showing from Hydrex & HM Plant Honda. Steve Plater (Standing in for Josh Brookes in the Superbikes, as he currently has visa problems) was doing well in the first race, before crashing. Then later jumped on his regular ride - supersports - and got a 2nd, before getting 3rd in the 2nd Superbike race.

Great win by Leon Camier on the Airwaves Yamaha for the 2nd race, thus proving, like in the World Superbikes, the new Yamaha is something to be reckoned with.

Then this evening the re-scheduled MotoGP race ran. It looked like a repeat of many races last year, where Stoner disappeared off into the distance, only to be reeled in by Rossi, but as Rossi got closer, Stoner responded, to the extent of being nearly 7 seconds ahead.
  5. 493
    Unsatisfactory ☑️
    BC Team
    BC Team
    United Kingdom
    APR
    Durgemeister
    Steve Plater (Standing in for Josh Brookes in the Superbikes, as he currently has visa problems) was doing well in the first race, before crashing
    Now there's a thing...Steve Plater crashing! I've always supported Steve, but it has to be said he does come off rather a lot.
  6. 494
    Important staff person. Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    BC Team
    South Africa
    APR
    Steve Plater did brill at Brands!!!! Even he must have been amazed to stay on for the two races he did so well in!!!

He prob did well because none of my family lot were there with our enormous 'go Steve go' banner...

I think it normally puts him off.
  7. 495
    United Kingdom
    APR
    Yeah, Plater certainly worked hard today, especially considering how relentless the Indy circuit is.

He is another one of those that you wonder why he never went onto MotoGP etc. but he is a good all-rounder. Does well on Short-circuits, and the TT, NW200 etc. Then next weekend he is at Le Mans for the 24-hour race.

Guintoli did a great job considering he has never raced at Brands Before, and like I said, he only really knows Donnington. Strange hearing him talk, his accent is an odd mix of French and "Northern".

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •