Can you break this code
Started by Blah, 1st April 2011 23:36 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 1537486
    BC Member

APR

Default Can you break this code

Chances like this don't come along too often. on June 30th 1999 Ricky McCormicks body was discovered in St Louis Missouri. He had been murdered and his body was dumped in a field. He had two hand written coded notes in his pocket (he'd always been into writing cyphers apparently) which could possibly help solve the case. Or not. Nobody knows, even the FBI Cryptanalysis and Racketeering records unit or the American Cryptogram association. It's a big old internet though so there's a possibility that somebody out there could solve it. The FBI have just put it out there for everybody to have a crack at. -

http://ionglobaltrends.blogspot.com/...elp-solve.html

I'm totally going to beat everyone in the world to it. Probably.
    "And if you think peace is a common goal that goes to show how little you know."

- Morrissey

2. #2 | 1537493
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

APR

Default Re: Can you break this code

Hmmm....is it a hoax?

If not, it should be easily cracked by the lads in Hackquest....and certainly the American FBI ought to be able to.

At a cursory glance, it reminds me of a code we used at work some 40 years ago. That had a random letter or symbol inserted after the first and third letter of each word, and the last 2 letters of each word reversed, plus an additional random letterat the end of the word, and the gaps between words in the wrong places.

For example: *for example* would be written: fxrotec xamjpelk

Good luck.
    They who walk in silence hang the innocent and set the guilty free.

3. #3 | 1537504
    BC Member

APR

I thought it might be an April fools but there was a link somewhere to the fbigov site and I think it was put on some pages a couple of days ago or so.
    "And if you think peace is a common goal that goes to show how little you know."

- Morrissey

4. #4 | 1537509
    Fluffed out
    England

APR

The article was posted on 30 March, so it probably isn't a hoax. Lots of words end in RSE though - very curious.

5. #5 | 1537511
    Made ya look!
    England

APR

Easy peasy.. says the following:

Eggs, one loaf of white bread, one loaf of brown bread, milk, potatoes, green pepper, three oranges, broccoli, one medium size butternut, pack of closed button mushrooms, six oranges, 2 lemons, bunch of bananas, six satsumas, bacon, smoked ham, six small pork pies, sausages, two magerita pizzas, one litre orange juice, one litre apple juice, readybrek, kellogg cornflakes...

I could go on if you like... but then you'd all steal my thunder before I have the chance to hand it over to FBI.
    "Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
    Liked by: Millsy, sphinx

6. #6 | 1537532
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

When I saw "easy peasy" I thought you were going to write about knit one pearl one etc . . .
    Olespice

7. #7 | 1537561
    Bouncy fault finder
    United Kingdom

APR

sphinx
    Hmmm....is it a hoax?

If not, it should be easily cracked by the lads in Hackquest....and certainly the American FBI ought to be able to.

At a cursory glance, it reminds me of a code we used at work some 40 years ago. That had a random letter or symbol inserted after the first and third letter of each word, and the last 2 letters of each word reversed, plus an additional random letterat the end of the word, and the gaps between words in the wrong places.

For example: *for example* would be written: fxrotec xamjpelk

Good luck.
    You know what? I was just about to post that Miss Marple you'd solve it, and now I don't need to. So I wont.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Liked by: sphinx

8. #8 | 1537566
    BC Member

APR

why not put more time into solving the murder,the note is a red herring and a very good one at that

9. #9 | 1537581
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

beliz
    why not put more time into solving the murder,the note is a red herring and a very good one at that
    With such insight you should join the 'mediums,' B, and save us all the bother each time.
    Olespice

10. #10 | 1537583
    BC Member

APR

Olespice
    With such insight you should join the 'mediums,' B, and save us all the bother each time.
    think i may just do that

Thread Information