firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....
Started by CookieNinja, 17th January 2006 18:01 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #11 | 773910
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

Default Re: firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

Your SQL has a problem then?

2. #12 | 773915
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

JAN

Default Re: firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

View Quoted Post In 773910 nicknotnicked said:
    Your SQL has a problem then?
    Yes, my SQuirreL runs this site most of the day.

3. #13 | 773919
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

View Quoted Post In 773915 sphinx said:
    Yes, my SQuirreL runs this site most of the day.
    needs either a new Squirrel or a new wheel for it to run in

4. #14 | 773947
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 773909 Durgemeister said:
    I noticed today that Netscape (Which I have to have installed for my course) offers the choice of Rendering pages via Firefox or IE. Plus it has the tabs thing. Think I may stick to using that (He says posting via IE).
    Alternatively, you could install firefox with the ieview plugin, which allows you to send a url you cannot load to ie so you can view it in there instead.

Unlike using netscape, it means that you can keep uptodate with all the latest patches for both, instead of waiting for aol to get hold of the patches and apply it to their hybrid of both browsers. If the convenience is worth more than staying bang uptodate with patches, tho, then stick with netscape.
    My Blog innit ... find out how boring my life is!

God of the small things - random dribblings from my mind

5. #15 | 773950
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 772593 nicknotnicked said:
    the executable is only small if you want to pm me an email addy I will send it and you can try
    I don't use windows much, although I might look it up if it uses the IE rendering engine because normal IE is horrid and on the odd rare occasion it needs to be used.

6. #16 | 773977
    BC Member
    England

JAN

View Quoted Post In 773947 CookieNinja said:
    Alternatively, you could install firefox with the ieview plugin, which allows you to send a url you cannot load to ie so you can view it in there instead.
    So firefox cannot load every URL then. How so 19th Century.

Colonel

7. #17 | 774000
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 773977 Colonel said:
    So firefox cannot load every URL then. How so 19th Century.
    Funnily enough, neither can IE. IE cannot load svg images, use transparancy in png images, render a lot of css stuff, use the <canvas> tag or xmlhttprequest. Every other major browser supports these features in the same way, IE stands alone in being behind on features. None of these are very new either, they are all about 3 years old.

What firefox has chosen not to implement pales in complarisom to what IE is lacking!

8. #18 | 774002
    BC Member
    England

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774000 CookieNinja said:
    Funnily enough, neither can IE. IE cannot load svg images, use transparancy in png images, render a lot of css stuff, use the <canvas> tag or xmlhttprequest. Every other major browser supports these features in the same way, IE stands alone in being behind on features. None of these are very new either, they are all about 3 years old.
    Because IE dominates the web and it either doesn't have those technologies or has it's own version and therefore makes it too much effort for web developers to use, IE users are missing out on how beatiful the internet *could* look but doesn't.
    Microsoft loves to serve it's customers so much it's spent the last 4-5 years barely being developed .... they've only just woken up now by having IE 7 later this year, whilst in the meantime firefox 2 is due out this year and v3 is due next year ... how many more features will they be missing by then!!!
    You will never convince me Cookie. When I use firefox nothing renders well at all. I think you will find that IE 7 will put the brakes on firefox.

Colonel

9. #19 | 774006
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774002 Colonel said:
    You will never convince me Cookie. When I use firefox nothing renders well at all. I think you will find that IE 7 will put the brakes on firefox.
    Yes, I know this. IE 7's effect will be interesting, I don't expect any change in what's happening but we will see.

Incidentally, HP are starting to officially ship linux pre-installed in South America where linux has made a fair bit of progress. It's also the 1st time that any major supplier of desktop machines has shipped linux for non-server pcs.

The trend towards there being 2 or 3 popular operating systems, with a quality version of all important apps running on all of them, seems to genuniely be developing from where I am standing. I've even managed to install linux for newbie users and they've not cared because they can do everything that they need to do with a small number of slowly but ever decreasing exceptions.

10. #20 | 774012
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774006 CookieNinja said:
    Yes, I know this. IE 7's effect will be interesting, I don't expect any change in what's happening but we will see.

Incidentally, HP are starting to officially ship linux pre-installed in South America where linux has made a fair bit of progress. It's also the 1st time that any major supplier of desktop machines has shipped linux for non-server pcs.

The trend towards there being 2 or 3 popular operating systems, with a quality version of all important apps running on all of them, seems to genuniely be developing from where I am standing. I've even managed to install linux for newbie users and they've not cared because they can do everything that they need to do with a small number of slowly but ever decreasing exceptions.
    a while back some customer came in with a brand new Tiny machine and asked me to reload it
    It had Linux on it and he couldn't use it or so he said
    First time I have seen it loaded on a domestic machine
    any way I ended up putting xp pro sp2 and he went away happy

Thread Information