Joe McDonnel
Started by wishingwell, 15th November 2019 17:03 in Music & Video

1. #1 | 2135527
    BC Member
    England

NOV

Default Joe McDonnel

Have only recently discovered this song and think its fantastic.

(Jezzas knockers should listen to it)

Joe McDonnell lyrics

Lyics of the Wolfetones song about the hunger striker Joe McDonnell

www.youtube.com

And you dare to call me a terrorist
    While you looked down your gun
    When I think of all the deeds that you had done
    You had plundered many nations divided many lands
    You had terrorised their peoples you ruled with an iron hand
    And you brought this reign of terror to my land
    Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn!!!

2. #2 | 2135555
    Absquatulated

NOV

Default Re: Joe McDonnel

Is that the old guy with a farm?
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2135556
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

NOV

wishingwell
    Have only recently discovered this song and think its fantastic.

(Jezzas knockers should listen to it)
    Who is Jezza, and how big are her knockers? LOL

But anyway, this song seems to borrow some ideas from "The Town I loved so well".

Unfortunately, the singer in the OP seems a little weighed down, by the chip (or rather sack of potatoes) he has on his shoulder.

It's all about the terrible things you have done, you British scum! Although no mention is made of what the protagonist might have done to land him in the slammer - such as shooting and bombing innocent people (mainly Irish themselves).

But thanks anyway, WW. As a left leaning person, I was thinking about voting Labour, but posts like this help to convince me not to.
    Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

4. #4 | 2135606
    BC Member
    England

NOV

When we were terrorised by a stronger force (The Nazis) we fought back, we got called terrirists by the Nazi regime, but we fought back an right won out in the end....sort of.

Would for instance watching The Dambusters change your voting habits?

5. #5 | 2135710
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

NOV

wishingwell
    When we were terrorised by a stronger force (The Nazis) we fought back, we got called terrirists by the Nazi regime, but we fought back an right won out in the end....sort of.

Yes definitely.

6. #6 | 2135711
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

NOV

All foreigners are bad except for the gherkins to whom we all owe our lives because Joannea Lumley said so.

7. #7 | 2135899
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

NOV

wishingwell

Well WW I suggest to you that there is a difference between a just war, terrible as it is, in which soldiers on each side fight each other, and a campaign of terrorism such as that waged by the IRA, in which innocent men, women and children are killed indiscriminately.

8. #8 | 2136047
    BC Member
    England

NOV

Plutonium
    Well WW I suggest to you that there is a difference between a just war, terrible as it is, in which soldiers on each side fight each other, and a campaign of terrorism such as that waged by the IRA, in which innocent men, women and children are killed indiscriminately.
    I think we would be judged the guiltiest in that case, many German women and children died at our hands in the war (I don't like using the word 'innocent' as many people are implicated in each countries atrocities. I am sure for instance that I have voted for parties that have gone to war, so I wouldn't tag myself as being totally innocent)

The scale of what we did is greater although I agree with the actions to some degree, even though we had some power we had gotten pretty desperate.

9. #9 | 2136110
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

NOV

wishingwell
    I think we would be judged the guiltiest in that case, many German women and children died at our hands in the war (I don't like using the word 'innocent' as many people are implicated in each countries atrocities. I am sure for instance that I have voted for parties that have gone to war, so I wouldn't tag myself as being totally innocent)

The scale of what we did is greater although I agree with the actions to some degree, even though we had some power we had gotten pretty desperate.
    WW2 was started by Hitler and the Nazis, a thoroughly evil force who committed mass genocide. Although some things that the Allies did, like the bombing of Dresden or the dropping of the Atom bombs, cannot be justified, overall it was a just war, a desperately close victory over evil.

There is no comparison with the IRA. The hunger strikers, mentioned in the song, were terrorists. Bobby Sands bombed a furniture store killing four civilians, including two babies. They wanted political prisoner status, but they were not in prison because of their political views, but because of their terrorist activities.

10. #10 | 2136111
    BC Member
    Cyprus

NOV

Plutonium
    Yes, but then you see everything in black and white, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

A huge amount of people died indescriminately in British cities when Nazis dropped bombs, and a lot of innocent people died indiscriminately in German cities when we dropped bombs. Indeed, in Dresden we dropped bombs that were actually designed to kill as many innocent civilians as possible.

I got to thinking about this more since living in Cyprus. EOKA were the group that fought for Cypriot independence. They targeted the British military and their families, Cypriots working for the British military, the British in general and even Cypriots with opposing views to theirs. EOKA were considered by the British government to be terrorists, they're viewed by most Cypriots as heroic freedom fighters. How do you decide? Whilst I agree with you about the cimparison between WW2 and the IRA being invalid, what about between EOKA and the IRA?
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

Thread Information