Brexit isn't happening
Started by Skull, 23rd October 2019 21:19 in Brexit Forum

1. #41 | 2133145
    BC Member
    BC Team

OCT

Default Re: Brexit isn't happening

The whole 'Brexit' debate got hijacked by a fairly small but very loud group of people who were basically racist.

Back in the day, what was then known as 'Euro-scepticism' was mostly about laws and sovereignty, not immigration.

Even when immigration became an arguable issue, there was a sensible debate to be had about the rules on letting in EU citizens, because Blair just opened the doors which was not actually necessary. However it got hijacked by the 'send em all back' brigade and the argument has long been lost. Try debating this with many people from the Leave side now and all you get is 'send em all back', which is absolutely NOT what I voted for.

Im so sick of it all now that I don't care if we stay. Not because parliament or traitorous remainers have worn me down (though they are both making a great job of trying), but because the loudest leave arguments are now usually just pathetic and made from a position of, often, abject nonsense. It's got totally out of hand.

It's a horrendous mess and it cannot possibly end well now, whatever the outcome.

2. #42 | 2133146
    BC Member
    Cyprus

OCT

Scrotnig
    Whereas, sabatoging democracy is the worst.
    Given that I've stated in numerous times, with reasons (which you and other rightards have completely ignored, finding it easier to pretend I mean something different to what I actually say), that I don't consider in any way whatsoever that that referendum was a gen uine exercise of democracy that point is completely irrelevent to me.

Even if the referendum was fought fairly (which is wasn't), the majority was tiny, totally ignoring 48% of the people that voted and claiming Brexit is the "Will of the people" is also a weak argument. Democracy is not, and should not be, about totally ignoring the will of a substantial amount of the electorate, nor attempting to shut them up.

IMNVHO, the argiment of democracy is NOT stronger than the argument of the complete chaos that would ensue if we had a no deal Brexit. Democracy isn't about giving the electorate a populist referendum, it's about electing people to actually make the difficult decisions based on the knowledge they have in their position.

If you really don't understand this (and if you think that an ADVISORY referendum is a more important part of democracy than allowing our elected representatives to do their jobs) then you have absolutley no understanding of what democracy actually is.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

3. #43 | 2133147
    BC Member
    Cyprus

OCT

Scrotnig
    We didn't vote (necessarily) to leave the Common Market (now known as the Single Market), we voted to leave the EU, that is all.
    Correct, meaning that nobody voted for a no deal Brexit, so if that ends up being what's on the table there should be a second referendum to find out whethet that's what people really want.

The Remain campaign was based on how easy it would be to get a good deal. Boris himself said leaving the common market would be bad for Britain. People seem to have forgotten that in the clamour for "Brexit at any cost". Well there are costs that are way too high, referemdum result or not.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

4. #44 | 2133148
    BC Member
    Cyprus

OCT

Scrotnig
    but because the loudest leave arguments are now usually just pathetic and made from a position of, often, abject nonsense. It's got totally out of hand.
    On this, we agree.

5. #45 | 2133149
    BC Member
    BC Team

OCT

Fork Me
    Correct, meaning that nobody voted for a no deal Brexit, so if that ends up being what's on the table there should be a second referendum to find out whethet that's what people really want.
    I don't disagree. I've never been in favour of 'no deal'. Of course we need a deal. If the present deal (as shite as it acually is) cannot be ratified then it really must go back to the people.

However, the valid question then is - what happens if the result is still 'Leave'? The answer has to be that we leave with no deal. I don't think that's at all sensible but, democracy and all that.

The fundamental issue is that a decision of this magnitude should never have been in a referendum in the first place. It was a cheap trick by Cameron to win an election, arrogantly thinking the referendum would easily go his way. In doing this he divided the country and set us back years while we faffed around sorting this mess out. His head should be on Traitor's Gate, alongside Major's and Blair's.

6. #46 | 2133153
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

OCT

I agree with you Bro. Slaps back and watches the ripples.

Fork me actually answered a post addressed to skull, his puppet in this thread.
    That is the level of intelligence we're witnessing here.

Fuck remain....they LOST.

7. #47 | 2133156
    Absquatulated

OCT

Lord Ponsonby
    Fuck remain....they LOST.
    A wise and reasonable course of action
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

8. #48 | 2133159
    BC Member
    Cyprus

OCT

Scrotnig
    I don't disagree. I've never been in favour of 'no deal'. Of course we need a deal. If the present deal (as shite as it acually is) cannot be ratified then it really must go back to the people.

However, the valid question then is - what happens if the result is still 'Leave'? The answer has to be that we leave with no deal. I don't think that's at all sensible but, democracy and all that.

The fundamental issue is that a decision of this magnitude should never have been in a referendum in the first place. It was a cheap trick by Cameron to win an election, arrogantly thinking the referendum would easily go his way. In doing this he divided the country and set us back years while we faffed around sorting this mess out. His head should be on Traitor's Gate, alongside Major's and Blair's.
    ...which is pretty much what I said all along, and why I said the referendum should never have happened in the first place.

9. #49 | 2133161
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

OCT

Fork Me
    ...which is pretty much what I said all along, and why I said the referendum should never have happened in the first place.
    We don't live in Communist China, so it did indeed happen and YOU LOST. Whatever happens now, the European Union's days are numbered anyway.
    Liked by: Scrotnig, sphinx

10. #50 | 2133162
    Absquatulated

OCT

Fork Me
    Damn!
    You've run out of pathetic arguments as to why the British people were wrong to want to escape, can't think of a good reason to support a pointless second referendum, can't argue for an election because the lefties would get absolutely hammered, so you try to say democracy was a mistake.

Jesus H Fucking Christ on a pair of sticks, you aren't half a wanker.
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

Thread Information