Downton Abbey - the film!
Started by Luna, 2nd October 2019 19:04 in TV & Entertainment

1. #1 | 2130700
    BC Member
    Ireland

OCT

Default Downton Abbey - the film!

Well - I was dragged in to VUE Cinema to see this today. It began well - in fact the first half an hour was quite good. Then it went straight down silly street and became a cliche ridden load of drivel. Julian Fellowes must have lost his marbles somewhere if he thinks for one minute that any of it was remotely believable. A butler back answering an Earl in a way that would/should have had him instantly dismissed. Mr Mosley daring to speak in a disrespectful way to the King. These were servants who had been the household of an Earl for years and should therefore have known how to behave. Queen Mary's dressmaker - a thief? A caricature of a french chef?

A scene between Dowager Countess Grantham and Lady Mary Crawley/Talbot that was supposed to be poignant was so badly scripted that I just fell about laughing!

A waste of money and, more importantly, two hours of my time.

2. #2 | 2130701
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

OCT

Default Re: Downton Abbey - the film!

Oh dear, sorry to hear that . I went to where the series was filmed in July. I enjoyed a very impressive flypast from a Spitfire and a huge fireworks display. A Truly wonderful location, although it would have been better if you were there. Xxx
    Liked by: Luna, sphinx

3. #3 | 2130705
    BC Member
    BC Team

OCT

Gasp!
    Liked by: Luna

4. #4 | 2130709
    BC Member
    Ireland

OCT

Lord Ponsonby
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that . I went to where the series was filmed in July. I enjoyed a very impressive flypast from a Spitfire and a huge fireworks display. A Truly wonderful location, although it would have been better if you were there. Xxx
    Everywhere is better when you are there!
    Liked by: Lord Ponsonby, sphinx

5. #5 | 2130710
    BC Member
    Ireland

OCT

Promise not to faint all together - but - I just remembered - the police raided what obviously a dance hall for homosexuals (they weren't known as 'gay' in those days) and found lots of men - not only kissing - but actually dancing the tango! How shocking is that??!!
    Liked by: sphinx

6. #6 | 2130713
    here
    Wales

OCT

I believe you can ask for your money back in cinemas if you believe a film is absolute pants.

I wouldn't ask for my money back because it takes a lot of money and effort to make a film.

I recently watched my first film in years. It was "Once upon a time in Hollywood" I really enjoyed it and I may be tempted back to the cinema again.

Cinema is so expensive though it is better to wait for the DVD in the Bargain bin and make your own popcorn.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..
    Liked by: Luna, sphinx

7. #7 | 2130714
    BC Member
    BC Team

OCT

Luna
    Promise not to faint all together - but - I just remembered - the police raided what obviously a dance hall for homosexuals (they weren't known as 'gay' in those days) and found lots of men - not only kissing - but actually dancing the tango! How shocking is that??!!
    Eeeuuurrrgh.

8. #8 | 2130715
    BC Member
    Ireland

OCT

parsonstreet
    I believe you can ask for your money back in cinemas if you believe a film is absolute pants.
    I never knew that, Parson.

Cinema is so expensive though it is better to wait for the DVD in the Bargain bin and make your own popcorn.
    Actually this VUE Cinema is not too costly - any seat in any screen is now only 4:99p. Not sure of prices elsewhere. You would need a second mortgage to buy sweets there though - we always take our own.
    Liked by: parsonstreet

9. #9 | 2130719
    here
    Wales

OCT

I think that reading reviews can spoil a cinema experience and seeing trailers. In a way it is like a gamble.

I had time on my hands I decided to see a movie for the first time in ages. The gamble paid off.

My last film was a Quentin Tarantino Film. I have disliked some of his films but I know that he is very good at creating memorable images and stylistics and homages.

I watched and enjoyed the film "Gosford Park" by Julian Fellowes but somehow Downtown Abbey never appealed to me (although I think Dame Maggie Smith is great).
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..
    Liked by: Luna

10. #10 | 2130723
    Fluffed out
    England

OCT

Luna
    Everywhere is better when you are there!
    Scrot! Pass the vom bucket. Quick!!
    Liked by: Dordie, sphinx

Thread Information