Paying for things
Started by Nice Fred, 17th August 2019 09:53 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #1 | 2126546
    The common sense poster

AUG

Default Paying for things

I watched a very interesting program about a tech city in China where credit card payments are so old hat many younger staff in shops don't know what they are or how to use them. Instead they pay by QR code via their QQ account.
    Seems all internet is monitored by the government and the QQ system (A sort of Whatsapp and ordering app all bundled up) is especially examined to keep an eye on citizens.
    That state monitoring apart, I had a little think about payment methods here.
    I can and do use:

• Credit card (I don't have one so this is s can, but not a do)
    • Debit card (Direct instant payment from your bank account as in the UK)
    • Prepay cards (Most shops accept at least one of the three I have) Just keep adding credit and they work. These are also used on toll roads and most car parks as well as paying for many other things.
    • Go-pay. This started life as a payment system for their motorbike taxi and car riding app (Like Uber) but they added the ability to order food (I just used it) and pay using the app. So many food shops started accepting Go-pay, others realised its usefulness so jumped in and accept payments via the app using a QR code.

On-line is very common and used by a lot of people. I pay all but one of my bills online these days, almost always from my phone, the same way I top up my Go-pay account.

At the bottom of the list comes cash, an outdated mode of payment still used by many but a lot of places now have signs saying cash payments won't be accepted.

How do you pay for things, and what options are available to you?
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

2. #2 | 2126547
    The common sense poster

AUG

Default Re: Paying for things

I book trains and air jaunts using my phone and pay the same way.

3. #3 | 2126548
    The common sense poster

AUG

A QR looks like this and you can use apps to read it or, for payments, the shop generates a code for you to scan
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. #4 | 2126549
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Credit card where possible, for the airmiles, or debit card, I love contactless but I still like to have cash on me at all times.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

5. #5 | 2126550
    The common sense poster

AUG

You can generate your own QR codes and read them very easily with apps available in Android store.

6. #6 | 2126553
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

I have debit cards with both my Cypriot and UK banks. I also still have a UK credit card.

I also now have a Revolut card which saves loads on international transactions. You can have Revolut accounts in as many currencies as you want and can switch money between them at the mid rate with no charges. It's a Mastercard debit card so it's accepted everywhere.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

7. #7 | 2126568
    Fat, old hippy

AUG

Debit card or cash.

8. #8 | 2126571
    BC Member
    England

AUG

Can you withdraw money from an ATM in UK without your card?

Someone before me left something on the screen that requred a code if you didn't have your card so I am presuming it is possible.
    Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn!!!

9. #9 | 2126572
    The common sense poster

AUG

Don't know about the UK but there is a cardless feature on some BCA ATMs out here.

10. #10 | 2128559
    The common sense poster

SEP

I've added OVO, another mobile phone based payment app. I can top it up from an ATM or using a phone banking app and it's accepted all over the place.

The police are about to introduce new driving licences with a payment system and the new government identity cards will have the same thing. You have to carry your licence when you're driving, but citizens must carry their ID card all the time so that will be really handy.
    You use your ID card when you book into hotels so you can book in and pay in one easy action.

I love it.

Thread Information