Which books are currently on your bedside table?
Started by Alice, 14th August 2019 08:16 in Poetry, Books & Writing

1. #1 | 2126258
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Default Which books are currently on your bedside table?

I have five and am part way through 4 of them. I don't seem to have the capacity for sitting and reading as I once did, I blame mobile internet for that, so it takes me a long time finish a book these days and because I leave it so long between picking them up again I always have to reread some of it to refresh my memory. Another weird thing for me is that in the past I would never dream of starting another book until I had finished the first.

Anyway, these are the 5 on my bedside table but I don't expect to be able to review any of them until at least the back end of 2020.

And the Moutains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini
    The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook
    The Last Hillwalker by John D Burns
    Can't Buy Me Love by Francesca Clementis
    Inferno by Dan Brown
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

2. #2 | 2126260
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

AUG

Default Re: Which books are currently on your bedside table?

Alice
    I blame mobile internet for that, so it takes me a long time finish a book these days
    Little wonder if you're reading 4 at a time!!!

3. #3 | 2126262
    The common sense poster

AUG

An audiobook
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

4. #4 | 2126263
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Reg Perrin
    Little wonder if you're reading 4 at a time!!!
    I don't really know how that happened, as I said I would never have done that in the past. I think I started the Dan Brown one first and sort of wandered off because it didn't really grab me. The Last Hillwalker is more of a memoir which I got for Christmas so I figured that would be easier to dip in and out of. The Aftermath I started because my Mother recommended it, that's set in Hamburg immediately after the Second World War and the Francesca Clements is a chick lit one I picked up from the book exchange at the hotel in Tenerife and started reading there when it was too hot in the afternoon to do anything else. The only one I've not started is the Khaled Hosseini one and I'm determined not to until I've finished the others. I did actually manage to start and finish two full books whilst I was on holiday so I can still do it, I'm just easily distracted when there are other things to do. Sitting still is something I'm not good at.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

5. #5 | 2126264
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

AUG

I started reading Papillon again a few weeks back but I found it superficial and shallow compared to reading it first time around. I think that might be because it transpired that Charriere was exposed as a bullshitter and more shocking things have been written since I read it in the 70's....obviously I've got older too!! I watched the film to end the book for me and that was even more of a disappointment. I'm reading "Northern Lights" at the moment. I know it's a kids book and some of it makes me cringe..I like the "Steam Punk" element of it though.

6. #6 | 2126265
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

I love Northern Lights, it has a nostalgic element for me, takes me back to the time I first read it. I think it was partly responsible for awakening my fascination for anything to do with any of the far Northern Countries from the climate to the people to the wildlife. I would love to spend a winter in Greenland, Alaska, Finland or some such.

7. #7 | 2126269
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

AUG

Alice
    I love Northern Lights, it has a nostalgic element for me, takes me back to the time I first read it. I think it was partly responsible for awakening my fascination for anything to do with any of the far Northern Countries from the climate to the people to the wildlife. I would love to spend a winter in Greenland, Alaska, Finland or some such.
    Yeah, it's good the way the author intertwines real places, groups of people, buildings and institutions just a little offset from reality. It has its drawbacks though I can't help but pronounce the "Farder" bit of "Farder Coram" as a really dumb Irish pronunciation of "Father"..(in my mind)...which, I'm sure it was meant to do...I just can't help but think of Father Ted...."Will yer have a cup of tea??"

8. #8 | 2126279
    The common sense poster

AUG

Last book I read was "My fair lady" - As I"m sure you're aware, this is an adaptation of George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, a nice piece in itself, but I prefer the adaptation. It's full and true script, and very nice bedtime reading.
    Mine is a 1958 Max Reinhardt and Constable of London copy that was originally priced at 18 Shillings.

15657778349217559816617172825254.jpg

9. #9 | 2126281
    I only speak for everybody

AUG

My bedside table is currently heaving under the weight of the entire world’s books. I have nowhere to put my spectacles!

True story.
    Liked by: sphinx

10. #10 | 2126282
    The common sense poster

AUG

15657784100933101584498914271590.jpg

2 books on my 'to read' list are this 1957 print of Gulliver's travels, and my 1959 print of Sam Clemens' classic.
    I read both many years ago but have yet to engulf myself in either set of these wonderful pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information