Using Logic to prove the Afterlife.
Started by parsonstreet, 1st May 2019 15:12 in Religion & Philosophy

1. #1 | 2114172
    here
    Wales

MAY

Default Using Logic to prove the Afterlife.

I think a belief in an afterlife might be reached through reason. Especially in the area of mind body relations.

For example imagine your friend loses a leg. In most cases people usually think that the person is the same person with the same personality.
    Someone can retain their personality through losing appendages, injury and illness.

However when someone gets dementia people will say that the person is no longer the same person. Even though they look the same. They feel their personality has gone.

This tends to be the case with brain injury and disease. Therefore, if anything, we think the person either resides in her brain or is known through behavior including language and personality. But we don't tend to identify someone with most of her body parts.

Another example is how we can recognize someone on the phone without seeing them or through reading a letter.

Therefore this suggests the body is not necessary to identify someone and a "person" may survive the decay of her body.

Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

2. #2 | 2114175
    Official Forker the Porker
    stalker
    Pakistan

MAY

Default Re: Using Logic to prove the Afterlife.

parsonstreet

For example imagine your friend loses a leg.
    Tell them to hop it.
    Rees Mogg for PM

3. #3 | 2114177
    BC Member
    England

MAY

parsonstreet
    I think a belief in an afterlife might be reached through reason. Especially in the area of mind body relations.

For example imagine your friend loses a leg. In most cases people usually think that the person is the same person with the same personality.

This is interesting, as I know 2 people who have lost legs. The odd thing was, that both of them (They didn't know each other by the way) still thought their leg was there, they said they could feel it still there!
    Apparently this happens to a lot of people.

Afterlife is interesting, as to if there is one or not. I think a lot of people like to think there is, as, of course, death seems so final, and we actually like living, so it is a shock that one day it may be over!

I believe in the afterlife, for lots of different reasons and I will be looking forward to riding my Unicorn when I get there.
    In post 285767, lee said:
    Michaels answer to everything is to remove all border controls. The guy is a fool - and everyone knows it.
    It makes me laugh when Monza puts him in his place. She makes Bill look like a pussycat.
    Liked by: sphinx, superwoman

4. #4 | 2114218
    Independent
    United Kingdom

MAY

I see parson still hasn't bothered to find out what proof is.

5. #5 | 2114219
    here
    Wales

MAY

Memnoch
    I see parson still hasn't bothered to find out what proof is.
    Tell that to the string theorists and Multiverse crowd.

And evolutionary psychologists
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

6. #6 | 2114225
    Independent
    United Kingdom

MAY

parsonstreet
    Tell that to the string theorists and Multiverse crowd.
    Tell them what? That you don't know what proof is? Why? They know what proof is and unlike you they're not daft enough to claim they have it and then present nothing.

And evolutionary psychologists
    Not my field, but I expect they know what it is too.

Show me someone who claims proof where none exists and I'll show you a religious nut or a philosopher. Your disdain for science has always been a completely obvious sour grapes attitude to something utterly beyond your grasp.

By the way... logic is another word you haven't understood. It can describe a number of thought processes, but certainly not yours.

7. #7 | 2114228
    here
    Wales

MAY

I don't really know how low to aim this for Memnoch's level of comprehension.

The opening post is illustrating to what extent we consider someone identical with their body.

The evidence says we don't consider someone identical with their body.

Things like the internet, telephone, radio and letter writing is evidence that we can communicate with someone without direct access to their body.

There is more proof for disembodied communication than for the multiverse.

8. #8 | 2114230
    Official Forker the Porker
    stalker
    Pakistan

MAY

parsonstreet
    I don't really know how low to aim this for Memnoch's level of comprehension.
    Aim high.
    Rees Mogg for PM
    Liked by: Luna, sphinx

9. #9 | 2114232
    here
    Wales

MAY

Thanks for that piece of inspirational motivation.

10. #10 | 2114239
    Independent
    United Kingdom

MAY

parsonstreet
    There is more proof for disembodied communication than for the multiverse.
    No there isn't. Every form of communication you've ever experienced or probably heard of involves mechanical interactions between physically real objects. There is no "proof" (there's that word you don't understand again) of communication without physical connection. And no one - at least not a reputable scientist - has claimed proof for the multiverse - it's just ignorant people such as yourself who like to pretend that science claims to have proven things when it hasn't. Science doesn't need to make false claims and the fact that you persist in your childish "Science doesn't know everything" type rhetoric is far more likely to be an actual proof: Of the fact that you don't know what science is or what it's for.

Thread Information