How many, and what phones do you have?
Started by Nice Fred, 16th January 2019 05:29 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #11 | 2122027
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUN

Default Re: How many, and what phones do you have?

Nice Fred
    I don't have a house phone (land line) - They happened here but only the very rich wanted them so most places don't have lines

I have a small Samsung flip - The battery lasts around 2 weeks on standby so it's handy for emergencies and it's a great little alarm clock

I have a Samsung C2 Core - A simple Android unit I use so I can have a selection of different service providers and I use it for data stealing apps I otherwise find useful. I also use that as my satnav phone, thus leaving my main phone free for other tasks

My main phone is a Samsung C9 pro with 6gb of RAM and 64gb storage, that and up to 256 on a micro SD, but I just have a small one in to back up files (32gb) = That might very well get tossed away in favour of a Note 9.

What do you have?
    So all/most internet across 3rd world shitholes has to be broadcast via microwave transmitters?
    Scrot is a poof!

2. #12 | 2122053
    Absquatulated

JUL

Fiber optics for home internet.
    I get 50 mbps so it's reasonable
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, but only a little something for the weekend at the moment

3. #13 | 2122054
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUL

Nice Fred
    I have no idea how I'd work without a mobile.
    Apart from communications, it's navigation and education. Need to travel, helpful - need info, google.
    I have never really seen the point of them, Fred. Fair enough if they are needed for work = other than that - no. I can be reached by land line when I am at home. When I am out or on holiday - I don't want to be reached anyway.
    Liked by: sphinx

4. #14 | 2122057
    Absquatulated

JUL

Mine is used for PowerPoint presentations as well
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, but only a little something for the weekend at the moment

5. #15 | 2122058
    Absquatulated

JUL

I have several hundred film on it as well as most of my music

6. #16 | 2122059
    Absquatulated

JUL

it even makes telephone calls

7. #17 | 2122060
    Absquatulated

JUL

That last post was ironic and clever

8. #18 | 2122072
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUL

Nice Fred
    Fiber optics for home internet.
    I get 50 mbps so it's reasonable
    Fibre lines running into domestic premises, yet no landlines?
    Scrot is a poof!

9. #19 | 2122074
    Absquatulated

JUL

BobBobson
    Fibre lines running into domestic premises, yet no landlines?
    Yes.
    Indonesia didn't miss out on land line telephone but only the middle class and above could afford them so they were pretty rare except for businesses and well healed homes. By the time more people were able to afford such things the mobile phone had appeared and had dropped to a price bracket more and more people could afford, so landlines were pretty much skipped over.
    However, as faster internet was available, the demand grew massively to a fibre optic system started to be developed and, as the companies realised the best business model was the mass market, prices fell to the point where that mode is pretty common. This all happened when president Jokowi came to power as he pushed for massive investment in both the public and private sectors, and here we are - I'm typing away and the data is going at a max (and commonly achieved) 50 mbps down a dedicated fibre optic line to my supplier, then shot into the wide world from there.
    I have no clue how a 50 mbps second line with unlimited quota compares with the sort of service available in the UK, but it's easily good enough for four movies streaming at once without buffering, five now my wife's little sister is here.

10. #20 | 2122138
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUL

Nice Fred
    Yes.
    Indonesia didn't miss out on land line telephone but only the middle class and above could afford them so they were pretty rare except for businesses and well healed homes. By the time more people were able to afford such things the mobile phone had appeared and had dropped to a price bracket more and more people could afford, so landlines were pretty much skipped over.
    However, as faster internet was available, the demand grew massively to a fibre optic system started to be developed and, as the companies realised the best business model was the mass market, prices fell to the point where that mode is pretty common. This all happened when president Jokowi came to power as he pushed for massive investment in both the public and private sectors, and here we are - I'm typing away and the data is going at a max (and commonly achieved) 50 mbps down a dedicated fibre optic line to my supplier, then shot into the wide world from there.
    I have no clue how a 50 mbps second line with unlimited quota compares with the sort of service available in the UK, but it's easily good enough for four movies streaming at once without buffering, five now my wife's little sister is here.
    A high end Fibre connection here, would be 1Gbps....that is fibre to the premises.....but most of the UK are still on fibre to the cabinet, which means the last '500m-2000m' come down conventional copper telecom wires, which slow things down a lot.
    Scrot is a poof!

Thread Information