Scrotnig's fascinating facts
Started by Scrotnig, 20th May 2018 13:42 in Talk & Chat

1. #1 | 2078142
    BC Member
    BC Team

MAY

Default Scrotnig's fascinating facts

The blight that killed my tomato plants late last year was apparently the same strain that caused the Irish potato famine.

The only fungicide capable of controlling it was outlawed by the EU in 2014!

2. #2 | 2078145
    BC Member
    Ireland

MAY

Default Re: Scrotnig's fascinating facts

Let's hope it doesn't come back, Scrotnig!

3. #3 | 2078147
    BC Member
    Cyprus

MAY

I call bullshit. The species of fungus that caused the Irish Potato Famine was Phytophthora infestans.

However, the is no modern strain of this fungus that is the same as the one that caused the Irish famine, that strain is thought to be extinct.

Although some fungicides were indeed banned in 2014, there are others still avaiable.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.
    Liked by: sphinx

4. #4 | 2078150
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

MAY

Fork Me
    some fungicides were indeed banned in 2014,
    Why was that? We seem to have existed with using them for many years...same with DDT...and creosote.

5. #5 | 2078151
    BC Member
    England

MAY

sphinx
    Why was that? We seem to have existed with using them for many years...same with DDT...and creosote.
    And we didn't have to listen to Diane Abbott.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!

6. #6 | 2078156
    BC Member
    Cyprus

MAY

sphinx
    Do you think that because we use something for a while without realising the harm it causes we should continue using it after we do?

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

7. #7 | 2078157
    BC Member
    England

MAY

Fork Me
    without realising the harm it causes
    Should that be 'Perceived harm'? We have only political prattle to go on!
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!

8. #8 | 2078173
    BC Member
    BC Team

MAY

Fork Me
    I call bullshit. The species of fungus that caused the Irish Potato Famine was Phytophthora infestans.

However, the is no modern strain of this fungus that is the same as the one that caused the Irish famine, that strain is thought to be extinct.

Although some fungicides were indeed banned in 2014, there are others still avaiable.
    Apparently it's not even a fungus!
    Late blight of tomatoes is the result of Phytophthora infestans and is notorious as the cause of the Irish potato famine during the 1800’s. Although it shares some similarities, P. infestans is not a fungus nor is it a bacterium or a virus, but rather belongs to a class of organisms called protists. Sometimes referred to as water molds, protists thrive in humid, moist environs, produce spores and spread when water is on the plants foliage. They may afflict plants from spring to fall depending upon favorable weather conditions.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Are Blight Infected Tomatoes Edible? https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...d-tomatoes.htm

9. #9 | 2078174
    BC Member
    Cyprus

MAY

Scrotnig
    Apparently it's not even a fungus!
    That's splitting hairs, iit used to be classified as a fungus but isn't anymore (and, yes I had to look that up to make sure), it still behaves like one in most ways.

Nonetheless, what you have is NOT the same STRAIN of Phytophthora infestans that caused the potato famine. That strain is, as I said, extinct.

Thread Information