Primary school opens its own bank
Started by Scrotnig, 14th January 2018 12:30 in Talk & Chat

1. #11 | 2064769
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JAN

Default Re: Primary school opens its own bank

Scrotnig
    No, I understand it perfectly well, but I'm not sure we need to be bamboozling eight year olds with this. It will confuse them and render the whole exercise pointless.
    It's already pointless IMO. If you like the idea of making it "basic", a simple reward scheme would be the logical starting point. Likening it to money doesn't help. They think they know where money comes from. An inaccurate analogy of money won't change the fact that they still don't know where it comes from.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

2. #12 | 2064771
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JAN

Scrotnig
    Again, tell that to the Greeks. They were doing well enough until the Euro came along and funnelled all their 'wealth' into EU coffers.
    That's a problem with exchange rates. The Greeks need to be able devalue their currency, but can't because they are in a single currency imposed on most European countries and driven by the German need to control inflation.

I have never been in favour of the Euro, and opposed the pound joining it.

As for funnelling wealth into EU coffers, the Greeks' problem is the money they owe to other people. They spent money like there was a magic money tree in the good years, now they are struggling to pay it back.

This has nothing to do with my point about Bitcoin.
    Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

3. #13 | 2064772
    BC Member
    BC Team

JAN

Memnoch
    It's already pointless IMO. If you like the idea of making it "basic", a simple reward scheme would be the logical starting point. Likening it to money doesn't help. They think they know where money comes from. An inaccurate analogy of money won't change the fact that they still don't know where it comes from.
    Well it *is* a reward scheme in effect, they just call it a currency to demonstrate the basics of the banking system.

You're making too much of it. These are five, six, seven and eight year olds. High level economics isn't of any benefit to them at this stage. This exercise should be the first step on the ladder of financial education, and that is what I believe it is intended to be. It teaches the basics of the banking system and the basics of money having to be earned. before it can be spent. That's ALL it is designed to do.
    Please note that any pointing out of abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to swear at me for pointing out abuse is clearly a leftie who’s been bested in an argument and who’s also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Scrotnig. Have a nice abuse-free day.
    Liked by: Plutonium

4. #14 | 2064773
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JAN

Scrotnig
    Well it *is* a reward scheme in effect, they just call it a currency to ...
    ... confuse the issue.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

5. #15 | 2064774
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JAN

Scrotnig
    Well it *is* a reward scheme in effect, they just call it a currency to demonstrate the basics of the banking system.

You're making too much of it. These are five, six, seven and eight year olds. High level economics isn't of any benefit to them at this stage. This exercise should be the first step on the ladder of financial education, and that is what I believe it is intended to be. It teaches the basics of the banking system and the basics of money having to be earned. before it can be spent. That's ALL it is designed to do.
    Like I said, Memnoch is incapable of grasping these simple concepts.
    Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

6. #16 | 2064776
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JAN

Scrotnig
    High level economics isn't of any benefit to them at this stage.
    Good, we agree, introducing them to the concept of commercial banking with an analogy that doesn't work is not helpful to them at that age.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

7. #17 | 2064778
    BC Member
    BC Team

JAN

Memnoch
    ... confuse the issue.
    Or make it enjoyable and engaging for the children, which is what all learning SHOULD be.

Making learning dull and boring and seeming like a punishment is what was done to me in secondary school, and I will forever resent them for that.

This exercise is exciting and fascinating for the children - watch the video and listen to the child 'staff' explaining what they do - and it is to be applauded. No it won't give them a degree in advanced economics, but it might inspire them to want to get one when they're older instead of bumming around in supermarkets at 16 like wot I ended up doing!

I applaud this school for this initiative, wholeheartedly. This is what education SHOULD be like.
    Please note that any pointing out of abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to swear at me for pointing out abuse is clearly a leftie who’s been bested in an argument and who’s also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Scrotnig. Have a nice abuse-free day.

8. #18 | 2064779
    BC Member
    BC Team

JAN

Memnoch
    Good, we agree, introducing them to the concept of commercial banking with an analogy that doesn't work is not helpful to them at that age.
    It isn't commercial banking, it's low-level, day-to-day consumer banking, and the concept of being paid to work rather than just getting money from a cashpoint. I rather think you're missing the point of the exercise somewhat. It's a lot more low-level than you seem to be aiming for.

9. #19 | 2064780
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JAN

Scrotnig
    Or make it enjoyable and engaging for the children, which is what all learning SHOULD be.
    Enjoyable: Tick
    Engaging: Tick
    Ignorant and Misleading: Well, teachers are all lefties, what did you expect?
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

10. #20 | 2064781
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JAN

Scrotnig
    It's a lot more low-level than you seem to be aiming for.
    I'm not the one advocating it, so how am I "aiming" for anything? You're the one who said "basic" and I offered a plausible for that.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

Thread Information