PC Plus magazine closes
Started by Scrotnig, 8th September 2012 13:47 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #1 | 1665158
    BC Member
    BC Team

SEP

Default PC Plus magazine closes

A sad day. Today, I received a letter (as I am a subscriber) from PC Plus magazine, telling me that the next issue is to be the last.

To be honest it's no great surprise and it's a wonder they managed to keep it going so long. The PC magazine market (like most magazines) is in terminal decline in the "internet age".

12 years ago PC Plus used to sell over 100,000 copies a month. Currently it's less than 9,000. It was only a matter of time.

In its heyday it was THE magazine for the serious PC enthusiast. Not full of gaming rubbish but about more serious stuff and it was famous for its programming and PC building articles. Latterly it has to be said it "dumbed down" considerably from that, but it was still the best on the market.

For me, I suspected the end was coming earlier this year when they did two things. Firstly they started printing it on thicker paper to disguise how thin it had become (not actually a lack of content but a lack of adverts, but still it would look bad to have such a thin magazine), and secondly they removed the letters page....not, I suspect, for any other reason than they no longer received enough letters.

My subscription letter tells me my remaining subscription will be transferred to "Windows 7 Help & Advice" magazine. Something I have absolutely no need of, so I will contact them to take the alternative option of a refund. The same company also publish PC Format magazine, that would have been a better alternative for the type of person that reads PC Plus. The fact that this is not an option suggests that too is not long for this world. I'll take the refund.

I love the internet and the way it's revolutionised our lives, but one of the things I have never liked is the way it's gradually destroying our printed magazine industry.
    Liked by: sphinx

2. #2 | 1665165
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

SEP

Default Re: PC Plus magazine closes

I'm still grieving over Amiga Format.

3. #3 | 1665173
    BC Member
    Indonesia

SEP

Sounds like a victim of its own success.

4. #4 | 1665208
    BC Member

SEP

Only had PC Plus as and when I needed it, and find PC Format a much better magazine. But usually it is just Computer Active and Web User I get on a regular basis.

The Teacher
    "43 Presidents but only one King" RIP Elvis Aaron Presley. 16th August 1977

Up the Tories

"Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?" Obi Wan Kenobi

Roll on death, and let's f'uck the angels.

"No shit Sherlock!" said Watson, who was constipated.

"Removed under protest"

"Ikke, we got no water for de ginger beer" Rastamouse

5. #5 | 1665212
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

SEP

I can't remember which one it was, either PC Format, or PC Plus, but I bought one of them on a regular basis in the late 80s, early 90s.

Once I bought a Windows PC, the frequency that I bought the magazine diminished, until it stopped all together at some point. Part of the reason was the expense, but the main reason was mostly that I had all the information that I needed via the Internet.

But I did get some inspiration in those early days, purely from a programming point of view, and some of the articles about possible upcoming technology - including reading about Organic computers - was thought provoking.
    Liked by: Scrotnig

6. #6 | 1665215
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

SEP

I was gutted when Futura closed Amstrad Action.
    Liked by: Scrotnig

7. #7 | 1665218
    BC Member
    BC Team

SEP

It's clear the company is in big trouble and I expect we will see the end of its other titles before too long.

8. #8 | 1665225
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

SEP

Actually, I'm still not over the demise of Victor and Hotspur and I never forgave Sparky for merging with The Dandy. TV21 and Eagle was fuckin sacrilege.

9. #9 | 1665231
    BC Member

SEP

I agree Reg. And the Dandy goes in December.

Thank gawd we've still got the Beano.

The Teacher
    "43 Presidents but only one King" RIP Elvis Aaron Presley. 16th August 1977

Up the Tories

"Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?" Obi Wan Kenobi

Roll on death, and let's f'uck the angels.

"No shit Sherlock!" said Watson, who was constipated.

"Removed under protest"

"Ikke, we got no water for de ginger beer" Rastamouse

10. #10 | 1737565
    BC Member

JUL

I'm very sorry at the passing of what used to be a great magazine, but I agree with Scrotnig, in that it became a shadow of its former glory over the past few years. I even freelanced for them at one point and they were a great company to work for too.
    Liked by: Scrotnig, sphinx

Thread Information