How hapless is Iran?
Started by parsonstreet, 11th January 2020 19:55 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 2143758
    here
    Wales

JAN

Default How hapless is Iran?

Hopefully this means the regime can be overturned without many casualties.

Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

2. #2 | 2143772
    Partially absquatulated

JAN

Default Re: How hapless is Iran?

The US regime didn't change when they did it, so it's unlikely.
    I know things most people have to google

3. #3 | 2143783
    here
    Wales

JAN

Nice Fred
    The US regime didn't change when they did it, so it's unlikely.
    America shot down one of its own planes?
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

4. #4 | 2143808
    Partially absquatulated

JAN

No. A US navy ship trespassing in Iranian waters shot down a civilian airliner.
    The ship's captain was promoted and sent to run a terrorist training school.

5. #5 | 2143809
    Prince Harry for our next
    King!
    St Lucia

JAN

Nice Fred
    No. A US navy ship trespassing in Iranian waters shot down a civilian airliner.
    The ship's captain was promoted and sent to run a terrorist training school.
    Well Fred, what do you think about the latest, that Iran has now admitted shooting down the Ukrainian passenger jet, mistaking it for a US cruise missile? (As if you can't tell the difference between an aeroplane and a missile). Also the British ambassador to Iran was arrested, in a fragrant breach of international law. Iran is rapidly heading for pariah status. Any sympathy it may have gained over the killing of General Soleimani is being squandered.
    Don't blame me, I voted Labour!

Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

Ignore list: Joke 90 and his sock puppets

6. #6 | 2143815
    Partially absquatulated

JAN

Plutonium
    Also the British ambassador to Iran was arrested, in a fragrant breach of international law
    Was he?
    He was at an anti government demo, a good enough reason to deport him. What would the British government do if Iranian diplomats attended violent demos here?

7. #7 | 2143820
    King!
    St Lucia

JAN

Plutonium
    Also the British ambassador to Iran was arrested, in a fragrant breach of international law.
    Oops, typo! He was using the wrong deodorant.

Liked by: Fork Me

8. #8 | 2143821
    King!
    St Lucia

JAN

Nice Fred
    Was he?
    He was at an anti government demo, a good enough reason to deport him. What would the British government do if Iranian diplomats attended violent demos here?
    What I can tell you is what the Iranian government does when its diplomats are accused of wrongdoing.

Back in the 80s, 1987 if memory serves [sorry LP this is way before Google was around], an Iranian diplomat serving at the Iranian consulate in Manchester was caught shoplifting. The UK government requested that his diplomatic immunity be lifted so that he could be prosecuted. The Iranians refused, and I recall that it caused a big ruckus at the time. I was on a training course at a place next door to the consulate, and there were camera crews camped outside there due to the issue.

So Iran seems to have a double standard on this issue.

Not to mention the US embassy hostage taking. Don't even go there.

Yet we help out the Iranians when they're in trouble, such as when the SAS liberated the Iranian embassy in London after terrorists took it over and took the staff hostage.

Now onto the current incident. The UK ambassador attended a vigil for the victims of the downed Ukraine Airlines plane, 3 of whom where British citizens. It appears that the vigil turned into an anti-government protest, but there is no evidence that the UK ambassador took part in that.

Even if the Iranians believe that he did, the correct procedure was to ask for the UK to lift his immunity, or give him 48 hours (or whatever) to leave the country.

Diplomatic immunity exists to prevent diplomats being used as pawns in a power struggle or hostilities between two countries. Unfortunately Iran has form on that: look at the case of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who is serving a 5 year prison sentence for 'spying' on completely flimsy charges. There are about half a dozen others with British or joint nationality in Iranian jails. They are clearly being used as political pawns.

You criticise the USA and Saudi Arabia, and rightly so on many issues, but is there a single case in which they have breached diplomatic protocol in the way that Iran does? If so, hit me with it.

9. #9 | 2143827
    Partially absquatulated

JAN

Plutonium
    but there is no evidence that the UK ambassador took part in that.
    Except he was arrested at the scene. Even if it was a memorial for the victims, he would have to be a blithering idiot to attend, that or it was a set up.

10. #10 | 2143831
    King!
    St Lucia

JAN

Nice Fred
    Except he was arrested at the scene.
    That's not what I read. He left the scene and went to a barber's for a haircut, and was arrested at the barbershop.

Even if it was a memorial for the victims, he would have to be a blithering idiot to attend, that or it was a set up.
    I don't agree. He went there as a mark of respect for the victims. That is one of the things that ambassadors are expected to do, when their country's nationals are among the victims.

Frankly Fred, given what I have read about Iranian post-revolutionary justice (and I've read quite a bit over the years), I don't particularly trust any of it. I always thought kangaroos only lived in Australia.

Thread Information