WW2 Boy Hero Picture
Started by TheDruid 3X3, 12th May 2019 03:03 in Photography & Art

1. #1 | 2115545
    Memnoch Worshipper
    Isle of Man

MAY

Default WW2 Boy Hero Picture

Greetings to All:

When I was in my Teens, I had a Book called 'The Best Of Life' which had in it the most Iconic Pictures taken and published in Life Magazine.

There was one Photo that made a Big Impression on me. It was a Picture Titled 'British Aplomb' and shows a Boy who Heroically dug his Sister out of their Bombed Out House during the WW2 Bombing Blitz of London.

Unfortunately, I lost track of the Book I had and had always wanted to find out more Historical Information about the Picture. I had always wondered if the Boy went on to become a Fireman or something like that.

But last week, while I was working at a New Job being a Cooperative Housing Property Maintenance Man, I was going through their Amenity Building Little Library and found a copy of the Book that I once had.

Quickly, I went through it and refound the Photo that made such an impression on me in the late 1980s.

Here it is:

Does anyone know of the Story about this Photo?

I am tempted to Email Life Magazine for further background information about it but I am asking you guys if you know of the Story behind this Boy and his Heroic Deed and whatever became of him.

He is by now Retired and maybe Passed On by now. But I am wanting to know more about his Story.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

2. #2 | 2115547
    Memnoch Worshipper
    Isle of Man

MAY

Default Re: WW2 Boy Hero Picture

I went through the Time Website and they have Thousands of Pictures posted that have appeared in their Magazine but can not find a copy of the above or the Story behind it.

I can not find any way to send them a message through their Website about the Picture either.

I guess the Fine Details about the Photo have since been made Private and is No Longer Available.

3X3

3. #3 | 2115558
    BC Member
    Ireland

MAY

Does your local library have computer access to 'Time' archives, Kino? They may be able to advise you or even find it for you. Also - do you have anything like our 'Public Records Office' ? If so they may also be able to help. It seems to be such an interesting story - I am sure it must be recorded somewhere.

Just a thought - as the boy was involved in the London blitz - it might be worth trying here:-

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Let us know what you find out.

4. #4 | 2115559
    Independent
    United Kingdom

MAY

TheDruid 3X3
    Does anyone know of the Story about this Photo?
    Yes, it's the boy who dug his his sister out of the rubble during the Blitz.

HTH
    YOU LOST. Deal with it

5. #5 | 2115643
    Memnoch Worshipper
    Isle of Man

MAY

I sent the Archives an message about the Picture.

I Wrote:

I am inquiring about a picture that is on Page #193 of the book 'The Best Of Life' which shows a Boy who calmly dug his Sister out of the debris of their Home that was hit during the WW2 Blitz in London.

The picture shows him with his arms crossed with a stern determined look with his Sister (who is save) standing to his left.

I found the book after many years searching for it and the photo is titled 'British Aplomb'.

I have always been fascinated with this picture and would like to know whatever became of the Boy after his grew. I am curious as to whether he became a Fireman or involved with Emergency Services after he had grown up.

I took a picture with my cell phone of the Boy and can provide you will a copy for your reference.

I actually have it posted on the Internet at:
    https://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum...6&d=1557625868

If you could get back to me as I am curious as to whatever happened to this Boy Hero of WW2 who is now most likely Retired or even Passed Away by now.

6. #6 | 2115644
    Memnoch Worshipper
    Isle of Man

MAY

Ooops - there are a couple of Grammer and Spelling Mistakes.

I hope they don't dismiss my inquiry as being some Illiterate Nutter or something.

7. #7 | 2115650
    Memnoch Worshipper
    Isle of Man

MAY

I figured out how to contact Life Magazine about the Picture.

Life and Time merged and all inquiries about them are now submitted to Time/Life at:
    https://timelife.ca/contact

I corrected the Grammer Mistakes but had to take out the Link to the BC Forums as they would not allow you to submit URL Links with the message.

3X3
    Liked by: sphinx

8. #8 | 2115658
    Fluffed out
    England

MAY

TheDruid 3X3
    Ooops - there are a couple of Grammer and Spelling Mistakes.

I hope they don't dismiss my inquiry as being some Illiterate Nutter or something.
    I'm sure nobody would ever accuse you of either, KiNo
    Liked by: Scrotnig, sphinx

9. #9 | 2115719
    Memnoch Worshipper
    Isle of Man

MAY

The thing is, I have gone through the Picture Library of the Time/Life Library several times and could not find a copy of that Picture.

For some reason, they do not want to display that Picture again.

Makes me wonder if there are Privacy Issues involved with the Picture and that the Boy who is now an Elderly Man, decided to keep his Story Private and Confidential.

If that is the case, then let him be to his Privacy.

3X3

10. #10 | 2115724
    BC Member
    Ireland

MAY

If it was reported in a newspaper/magazine, Kino, it is already in 'public domain'. Did you try the link I gave you - to our National Archives? I have always found them to be most helpful.
    Liked by: sphinx

Thread Information