Another great money saving tip:
Started by Memnoch, 11th September 2019 10:06 in The Boring Bin

1. #1 | 2128713
    Independent
    United Kingdom

SEP

Default Another great money saving tip:

Don't waste money on an alarm clock that you might forget to set.

Instead, buy a house where the mail is delivered at the time you want to get up. The neighbourhood dogs will then serenade you to joyful wakefulness when the postman arrives.
    Liked by: Luna, superwoman

2. #2 | 2128716
    BC Member
    England

SEP

Default Re: Another great money saving tip:

Memnoch
    Don't waste money on an alarm clock that you might forget to set.

Instead, buy a house where the mail is delivered at the time you want to get up. The neighbourhood dogs will then serenade you to joyful wakefulness when the postman arrives.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!

3. #3 | 2128717
    BC Member
    BC Team

SEP

Not a reliable plan. The postman will be on strike - they usually are - and even if he isn't, the time he arrives will be entirely dependent on how long it takes him to sift through the birthday cards and filch any money inside them.

4. #4 | 2128850
    BC Member
    Ireland

SEP

I have never used an alarm clock in my life. Before I go to sleep - I tell my brain what time to waken me - and it does!

5. #5 | 2128852
    BC Member
    England

SEP

Luna
    I have never used an alarm clock in my life. Before I go to sleep - I tell my brain what time to waken me - and it does!
    Same here.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!

6. #6 | 2128858
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

SEP

Luna
    Dordie
    Same here.
    Me too.
    Love bears all things,believes all things,hopes all things,endures all things. Love never ends. 1 Corinthians: 13

7. #7 | 2128881
    Independent
    United Kingdom

SEP

Luna
    Interesting. I can roughly tell the time during the day by the position of the sun, but at night? When I'm asleep? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's impossible. At least for me. My perception of time is completely different when I'm not awake. Dreams can seem to last for hours but I'm told REM sleep only lasts a few minutes. I've been under general anaesthetic twice this year and on both occasions I was not aware of the passage of time at all. One second I was talking to the anaesthetist, the next I was awake in another room and the operation was over. I usually sleep for about seven hours, so if I have to be up at 6 I'll probably go to bed at 11, but I don't believe there's any way I can know what time it is at any point in the interim.
    I heard someone tell what I regard as a very silly story about banging his head on the pillow three times in order to wake up at 3am to go on a boarding school kitchen raid. He claims it always worked and I'm calling him a liar or someone who remembers it seeming to work a few random times while forgetting the hundreds of times when it didn't. Bit like when people pray for rain every day then when it finally rains after a year of praying - at exactly the same it rained the previous year - they say "See... the power of prayer". Sooner or later it's bound to happen. Imagining you made it happen is deliberate self-delusion IMO.

The concept of "Seven o'clock" is entirely artificial. Even if there were a clock in your brain, why would it have evolved to conform with a comparatively recent cultural decision to split the day into an arbitrary number parts? And if such an internal clock exists, why do people with important appointments to keep still manage to oversleep?

8. #8 | 2128886
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

SEP

Memnoch
    The concept of "Seven o'clock" is entirely artificial. Even if there were a clock in your brain, why would it have evolved to conform with a comparatively recent cultural decision to split the day into an arbitrary number parts? And if such an internal clock exists, why do people with important appointments to keep still manage to oversleep?
    I suppose it depends on what time you need to get up in your working life. I rarely had to get up before about 6.30 am....and that has stayed with me. I wake automatically at that time, give or take a couple of minutes.
    On a few occasions when I have had to get to the airport very early or something, I had a telephone alarm call (do they still do that?), but I was always awake anyway.
    Love bears all things,believes all things,hopes all things,endures all things. Love never ends. 1 Corinthians: 13

9. #9 | 2128892
    Independent
    United Kingdom

SEP

sphinx
    I suppose it depends on what time you need to get up in your working life.
    I think it has more to do with what time you went to sleep. People who regularly have to be up at a particular time learn through experience when they need to go to bed. I think it's entirely plausible that if you go to bed later than you should have, you will be anxious about the prospect of missing your appointment and that anxiety will prevent you sleeping properly, but I don't believe that there is any mechanism in your brain that can time it as accurately as people claim.

10. #10 | 2128915
    Fluffed out
    England

SEP

Luna
    I'm beginning to suspect that you two are bus drivers for my local bus company. They're quite often half an hour late.
    Liked by: sphinx

Thread Information