Is the Future mapped out?
Started by parsonstreet, 1st December 2019 16:18 in Religion & Philosophy

1. #1 | 2137724
    here
    Wales

DEC

Default Is the Future mapped out?

Do you think that what happened to us was going to happen to us anyway or is the future unknown?

Some thinkers are determinists and think that due to causal relations what happens is the only thing that could have happened based on what has happened in the past.

I am personally skeptical about counterfactuals which are claims made about what could have happened or what would have happened if such and such.

Could we have led completely different lives? How much control do we have?

Science uses predictions as do other fields and humans in making every day decisions which is based on an assessment of probability.

How ever there are so called "Black swan" events like 9/11 that were very unpredictable and surprising.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

2. #2 | 2137729
    Lone Wolf & Cub

DEC

Default Re: Is the Future mapped out?

About 50 countries warned the American's about an attack. The President had a memo from the FBI on his desk warning of an imminent attack by Bin Laden. Coincidence/Surprise Theorists haven't read the 9/11 Commission Report, none of them have.

It was so obvious that William Cooper was able to make this claim:

Cooper was killed by County Sheriffs shortly after the attacks.
    The more laws, the less justice- Marcus Tullius Cicero.
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2137733
    here
    Wales

DEC

I do not want to discuss 9/11 on here because it is completely off topic.

A handful of the worlds population speculated that something might happen but what actually happened was completely unexpected to most people. Are you claiming you expected it before it happened?

The amazing value of hindsight.

The kind of of predictions I am referring to are every day predictions Such as that the sun will appear in the morning or scientific predictions about how something will behave/respond.

If you think 9/1 was planned by a a government then yes that will be predictable to them because they planned likewise to the terrorists who carried it out.

I don't think 9/11 was inevitable.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

4. #4 | 2137734
    Lone Wolf & Cub

DEC

parsonstreet
    I do not want to discuss 9/11 on here because it is completely off topic.

A handful of the worlds population speculated that something might happen but what actually happened was completely unexpected to most people. Are you claiming you expected it before it happened?

The amazing value of hindsight.

The kind of of predictions I am referring to are every day predictions Such as that the sun will appear in the morning or scientific predictions about how something will behave/respond.

If you think 9/1 was planned by a a government then yes that will be predictable to them because they planned likewise to the terrorists who carried it out.

I don't think 9/11 was inevitable.
    You dropped it in the OP by mistake?

5. #5 | 2137736
    here
    Wales

DEC

Okami Itto
    You dropped it in the OP by mistake?
    The reason I mentioned it is because it is the most widely used example of a Black Swan event. There are other examples such as the advent of telephones, radio and internet.

Nostradamus made a lot of predictions so inevitably some of them can be aligned with future happenings. Likewise some people imagined a massive terrorist attack on America but these people are a tiny minority so the event was unpredictable to 99.9% of the world.

I forgot when I mentioned 9/11 that you were an obsessed conspiracy theorist. I sure do regret mentioning it now.

There is a difference between something that is predictable because you planned it yourself and something being predictable based on current information.

6. #6 | 2137737
    here
    Wales

DEC

Okami Itto
    Cooper was killed by County Sheriffs shortly after the attacks.
    After he shot a police officer in the head.

On November 5, 2001, Apache County sheriff's deputies attempted to arrest Cooper at his Eagar, Arizona home on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and endangerment stemming from disputes with local residents. After an exchange of gunfire during which Cooper shot one of the deputies in the head, Cooper was fatally shot. Federal authorities reported that Cooper had spent years evading execution of the 1998 arrest warrant, and according to a spokesman for the Marshals Service, he vowed that "he would not be taken alive"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_William_Cooper

7. #7 | 2137739
    Lone Wolf & Cub

DEC

parsonstreet
    The reason I mentioned it is because it is the most widely used example of a Black Swan event. There are other examples such as the advent of telephones, radio and internet.

Nostradamus made a lot of predictions so inevitably some of them can be aligned with future happenings. Likewise some people imagined a massive terrorist attack on America but these people are a tiny minority so the event was unpredictable to 99.9% of the world.

I forgot when I mentioned 9/11 that you were an obsessed conspiracy theorist. I sure do regret mentioning it now.

There is a difference between something that is predictable because you planned it yourself and something being predictable based on current information.
    'The Americans were warned of an attack by nearly 50 countries'. That's called a correction of a statement you made in the OP. You've ignored it twice already.

I'm not trying to piss on your thread, just making a simple correction. The 9/11 Commission Report, Chapter One: The System Was Blinking Red.

*Ignore and move to smear.

8. #8 | 2137742
    Lone Wolf & Cub

DEC

They turned up on his land dressed as punks acting rowdy playing loud music. Cooper drove to them to confront him and they opened fire on him. Doesn't sound like an attempted arrest to me, sounds like a hit job... Oh, Wikipedia you say, that bastion of truth? Forget everything I said.
    Liked by: sphinx

9. #9 | 2137744
    here
    Wales

DEC

Okami Itto
    'The Americans were warned of an attack by nearly 50 countries'.
    There is a difference between warning of a terrorist attack which happens every day as a precaution and the nature and scale of the attack that actually happened.

Britain is always on high alert for terrorists attacks since the IRA and we had one few days ago but we would still be surprised if someone managed to blow up the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.

10. #10 | 2137745
    here
    Wales

DEC

Okami Itto
    They turned up on his land dressed as punks acting rowdy playing loud music. Cooper drove to them to confront him and they opened fire on him. Doesn't sound like an attempted arrest to me, sounds like a hit job... Oh, Wikipedia you say, that bastion of truth? Forget everything I said.
    What are you claiming they shot him for?

Thread Information