BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    The Fork Me 7" vinyl collection thread
    Cats U.K. - Luton Airport
    (Single, WEA, 1979, K 18075)

A Luton Airport
    B Sail Away

This was written to cash in on the Campari ads featuring Lorraine Chase. Contrary to urban legends she did not sing on this, they asked her, but she wasn't interested. Because she wasn't interested and they had every intention of making it sound like her, they added the lines:

It's alright being chatted up, my heart it turns to jelly.
    They even think that I'm that girl, the one that's on the telly.
    They say "Look into my eyes darlin' are you from paradise?"
    Well I tell 'em don't I? "No mate - Luton Airport!"

The song was written by Paul Curtis who's best known for writing a ridiculous number of "Song For Europe" entries (he got to the UK final with 22 entries between 1975 and 1992, 4 of which went on to represent us at Eurovision. None won). The band were put together specifically for the song, they did release two follow up singles but they both flopped.

I love this, the humour in the song is great.

Join BC Forums To Reply Join BC Forums To Reply
  2. 4567
    Scrotnig is a rightard nutjob and an out and out liar ✅
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    Chaka Demus & Pliers - Tease Me / Friday Evening
    (Single, Mango, 1993, MNG 806)

A Tease Me
    B Friday Evening

Chaka Demus & Pliers are a Jamaican duo, both of whom were already big in Jamaica before they teamed up.

I didn't like this when it first came out, but it sort of grew on me.

3. 4568
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman
    (Single, Warner Bros., 1978, K 17269)

A I'm Every Woman
    B A Woman In A Man's World

Chaka Khan was a woman on a mission, she always knew she wanted to sing and formed her first band when she was just 11 and still at school. Three bands and several years later she finally formed Rufus with Kevin Murphy and Andre Fisher, which was to be her ticket to success. Rufus, a funk band, saw continued success in the States from their debut album in 1973 until Khan left to go solo in 1978, this was her debut solo effort and propelled her to worldwide stardom.

Chaka Khan has a huge vocal range, powerful vocals and a distinct style. Personally, I think her voice is awesome. Even Whitney Houston didn't manage to cover this well IMO, her vocals sounding very bland when compared to the original.

4. 4569
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    Chaka Khan - Love Of A Lifetime
    (Single, Warner Bros., 1986, 928 671-7)

A Love Of A Lifetime
    B Coltrane Dreams

A leter and probably much less well know Chaka Khan single. The voice is still there, as is the disco feel, but the funk orchestra sound has been replaced with 80s electrics. I'm not sure she really made the transition from disco to 80s well, although her voice does suit this style of music.

5. 4570
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    The Charlatans - Crashin' In
    (Single, Beggars Banquet, 1994, BBQ 44)

A Crashin' In
    B Back Room Window

THis is the problem with this thread, all my best Charlatans stuff is on 12" and I wrote about them in that thread.

This was the first single from their 4th album (just called The Charlatans), although this single itself wasn't big, the album was to be their turning point. Tehir first album (back in 90) had sold well on the back of the single "The Only One I Know" (which I have on 12") and they had a bit of a slump with the two follow ups. This album, however, hit number one and was the first of four top 2 albums in a row, it's big single was Just When You're Thinking Things Over, which also featured in the 12" thread.

I like this single, and bought it because is sounded to me like they were back on form.

6. 4571
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    The Charlatans - How High
    (Single, Beggars Banquet, 1997, BBQ 312)

A How High
    B Title Fight

A later track. By the time this came out the Charlatans were riding high. Tellin' Stories, the album this came from was their second number 1 album in a row and this was their 3rd top 10 single from it. They'd pretty much peaked though. Although their next two albums got to number two this was their last top ten single.

Musically, it's pretty much more of the same which my be why they faded. I remember once playing this in an alternative club and someone claimed they'd stolen Oasis' sound. I had to point out that The Charlatans had been doing this sort of stuff for at least 4 years before Oasis' first album.

7. 4572
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    Charlie's Angels - It's Never Gonna Happen To Me
    (Single, Org, 1996, organ022, Pink vinyl)

A It's Never Gonna Happen To Me
    B1 Your Pretty Face (Live Demo Version)
    B2 Jackandi (Four Track Stuff)

Charlie's Angels released three singles and an album (entitled Greatest Hits Vol 1) on tiny independent Org Records. Org had publicised them as the next big thing and they'd got TV slots, an appearance at the Phoenix Festival and a tour supporting PJ & Duncan.

Charlie's Angels were bubblegum indie pop at its glitteriest. Then Malcolm McLaren came calling promising to make them huge, they disappeared with him and have never been seen since...

Here's Org Records' take on it.
    It was 15 minutes of glorious pop fame in the mid/late 90's, this really is where the infectious Glitter scattering started, hand customized glitter sleeves, tiaras, and for six hectic months they went from the back rooms of Camden (including the time they invited an embryonic Bis to come and open for them....) to the Royal Albert Hall and 5000 screaming kids on the 25 date show stealing PJ&Duncan tour (Ant & Dec - we got the dirt on you!), three singles and the "Greatest Hits Vol. 1" album (some of the finest pop moments ever), appearances on the Girlie Show, Big Breakfast, The White Room, records all over the radio, breaking hearts at festivals like Phoenix, the Miss-17 road show, photo shoots in numerous glossiesandstlyle magazines, tours in Japan, animated cartoons, that Take That cover with 17 b-sides and the hand made fluffy bags they came in - and all on a real independent label - you had to be there, it really was a glorious silly string infested 15 minutes - the Teen powered Bannanarama for Pistols fans.... Where are they now? Well just after the album came out Malcolm Mclaren came in to work with them and we took that as the sign to jump off their fun fair ride... Where are they today? They went off With Malcolm Mclaren, who knows?

I liked 'em.

8. 4573
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    FEB
    The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
    (Single, Collectables, 19??, 15-2394, Re-release, US import)

A The Devil Went Down To Georgia
    B Uneasy Rider

This is a US import in that I imported it in my suitcase! I bought this in Nashville. It is my favourite C&W record of all time. Absolutely brilliant.

This was originally released in 1979 and was probably the song that first brought Charlie Daniels to the attention of Europe, but he was already massive in the States. The B side of this re-release got to the US top 10 in 1973, the band were formed in 1970. The Devil... is based in a 1920's poem called "The Mountain Whipporwill" (no I don't know what a "whipporwill" is either - maybe I should look it up - OK, done that, it's a bird, that seems like a bit of an anticlimax somehow). Anyway the poem's here if anyone's interested: http://www.fiddlerwoman.com/id67.htm

Anyway, the song:

As I bought this in Nashville, it seems fitting somehow that I've found a live version of it from the Grand Ole Opry when Charlie Daniels was being indicted during the Marty Stuart show...

9. 4574
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAR
    The Charlie Daniels Band - Jitterbug
    (Single, Epic, 1979, S EPC 8056, Promo)

A Jitterbug
    B Blue Star

Not as well known - or as good! It's OK though, find ok "funky bluesy country" if that makes any sense.

10. 4575
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAR
    Charlie Harper - Barmy London Army
    (Single, Gem, 1980, GEMS 35, Green vinyl)

A Barmy London Army
    B Talk Is Cheap

Charlie Harper is the lead singer from the UK Subs. He also released a solo album and two solo singles, of which this is one. Neither of the singles are on the album.

Charlie was a founder member of the Subs when they formed in 1976. He had previously been in an R&B band (R&B as in British R&B initially popularosed by bands such as The Rolling Stone, The Animals and The Kinks). He's never left the Subs and is still in the band, the only original member. His solo stuff has always been a side project.

This was his only solo hit single, although I use the term loosely, it got to number 68 for one week!

Page 31 of 39 << First ... 212930313233 ... Last >>

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •