Cyprus
    NOV
    The Fork Me 7" vinyl collection thread
    Black Sabbath - Headless Cross
    (Single, IRS, 1989, EIRS 1087)

A Headless Cross
    B Cloak And Dagger

Aaah, that's better.

By 1989, Sabbath were in steep decline. Tony Iommi was the only original member still in the band and was holding it together by a thread. Iommi owns the band name, so he's been the only stable member through all of the band's incarnations.

Ozzy had left way back in 1977, and had had a successful solo career. Drummer, Bill Ward, hadn't recorded with the band since 1983, and only occasionally rejoined. Bassist Geezer Butler left in 1985 (although he rejoined in 1990). I'm not going to go into all the comings and going in BS, the band has had 33 members in total, although normally only 4 at a time! Having said that, at the time of writing, all of the original members, except Bill Ward are back together.

This was the title track of Sabbath's 14th album, their 13th album, Eternal Idol had flopped abysmally, with most of the music press not even bothering to review it. Tony Martin was the vocalist, it was his second albm with them. He's only really known for his work with Sabbath, and is, maybe surprisingly, the bands second longest running vocalist after Ozzy. They chose an unknown deliberately as their experience with Ian Gillan in the mid 80s was lss than satisfactory. The band staeted sounding like Deep Purple, and their gigs were full of DP fans wanting their songs!

After the failure of Idol, Iommi realised something drastic had to happen if he and the band were to regain any credibility. He produced this album himself, and managed to recruit Ranbow's Cozy Powell on drums. Geezer Butler's wife contacted them to say he wanted to rejoin, but it never happened, leaving them short a bassist, so they hired a session musician.

The result was much better than the previous album, and it sold reasonably well in Europe (No 31 in the UK), however, US and Candian sales were very slow, in a scene that could have come from Spinal Tap, Iommi had a bust up with a rep in Toronto, in his words:

"When we had the first record out with I.R.S., Cozy and myself went into record stores in Toronto, Canada, where we are pretty big. Nobody could get the record, it wasn't in the shops… unbelievable. We had such a fight with the local rep. I really came close to chinning him – it really was that bad. At the end of the day, it's us that suffer. They say, 'Oh, it didn't sell.' How can it sell if you haven't got the record in the shops?"

Musically, the album, and this single, was closer to the original Sabbath than they had been for a long time. I like it.

Join BC Forums To Reply Join BC Forums To Reply
  5. 4459
    Scrotnig is a rightard nutjob and an out and out liar ✅
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    NOV
    Blaggers I*T*A* - Oxygen
    (Single, Parlophone, 1993, ITAY 2)

A Oxygen
    B U.S.D.

At least this sleeve adds a bit of colour to the page. Blaggers ITA were a left wing agitpop band. They were pretty good, unfortunately, their lead singer was a bit unstable, and, if truth be known a bit psycho. Signing for EMI (who owned Parlophone at the time - I think both are now owned by Universal) proved contraversal in extreme left wing circles, partly because of EMI's involvement in the arms trade and partly because they were a big corporation. Blaggers themselves said that the move was justified by getting as many people as possible to hear their message and that the money raised would mostly be used ror political causes. Chumbawamba would face a similar dilemma sevral years later, also signing for EMI.

They were to blow the deal however. On tour supporting the Manic Street Preachers, vocalist Marty, punched a Melody Maker journalist in the face leading to a court case. EMI dropped them immediately.

This is one of only teo of their singles to get a promo video, funded by EMI. It made number 53 in the charts, their second highest placing. Musically and lyrically, it's pretty uncompromising. I like it, judge for yourself.

6. 4460
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    NOV
    Blessed Ethel - 2 Minute Mind
    (Single, 2 Damn Loud, 1994, 2DM 05)

A 2 Minute Mind
    B Horsefly

2 Damn Loud is a great name for a record company. Blessed Ethel and Puressence seem to be the only bands they had that actually sold any racords though.

Blessed Ethel were an idie rock band from Malvern in Worcestershire. They have been likened to bands as diverse as Blondie, The Pixies and the Rezillos. They don't actually sound like any of them though. They had a handful of singles apparently, but this is the only one I have or have even heard. This used to go down pretty well in the indie club I worked in.

7. 4461
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    NOV
    Blonde On Blonde - Subway
    (Single, Chrysalis, 1977, CHS 2158)

A Subway
    B Summer Love

Blonde on Blonde were page 3 models, Nina Carter and Jilly Johnson. They were fairly successful in Japan, but not so big in their home country. The sound is pure disco.

Not brilliant disco, but disco nonetheless. It was written by the Bee Gees.

8. 4462
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    NOV
    Blondie - Denise
    (Single, Chrysalis, 1978, CHS 2204)

A Denise (Denee)
    B1 Contact In Red Square
    B2 Kung Fu Girls

Hmm, this could take a few days ... I was (am) a big fan of Blondie.

Denis is the earliest Blondie song I can remember hearing. I fell in love with Debbie Harry at the age of 9.

Blondie have been described as "the band that made punk acceptable", personally, I don't really think they're punk at all, but I guess they're certainly on the fringes.

9. 4463
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    NOV
    Blondie - Heart Of Glass
    (Single, Chrysalis, 1979, CHS 2275)

A Heart Of Glass
    B Rifle Range

I think THIS was THE video...

...how can anyone look THAT good?

Oh yeah, there's some singing, and guitar playing and stuff in there as well I think...

10. 4464
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    NOV
    Blondie - Sunday Girl
    (Single, Chrysalis, 1979, CHS 2320)

A Sunday Girl
    B I Know But I Don't Know

Now this is the problem with this thread, I said it all about Blondie in the other thread. Still, good track.

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •