BC Forums Community

Today's Posts LATEST POSTS

No Threads to Display.

Forums LATEST DISCUSSIONS

19th September 2021 15:40 by Fork Me
SEP
...Brighton are second in the Premiership after 5 games!

Unbelievable.

19th September 2021 12:31 by Memnoch
SEP
Everyone's going on and on about climate change/global warming like it's an important discovery on which everyone who eats lentils magically became an instant expert, but it's been going on for four billion years and for most of that time the Earth has been a lot warmer than it is now. The climate is temporary and always will be because it changes all the time.

Something that's a lot less temporary is plastic. Less than 10% of plastic is recycled, which means 90% of plastic that's used is new. Not that that matters much because the recycling process is toxic anyway.
It's not "biodegradable" no matter what the manufcturers may claim, it just gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces, but it remains the same plastic. It's in your food, your water, and the air you breathe. And you can't burn it because the smoke is even more poisonous than the plastic itself. Geological activity is just about the only thing that can reliably get rid of it, and that takes millions of years.

Meanwhile, a lot of the people ranting about climate change are buying plastic shoes instead of leather because farming is bad for the environment.

19th September 2021 12:03 by Fork Me
SEP
Is it on its way out?

It's kind of pointless these days.

When I first moved to Cyprus I didn't buy a TV. I got one a while after that, but I've never bothered to plug it into an aerial just because TV here is in Greek. I could have gone for a satellite package but I never did.

This thing is, I watch whatever I want via my laptop (which is plugged into the TV via an HDMI cable that runs under the carpet, I could probably get rid of that as my current smart TV can receive from the laptop or my phone over the wifi anyway). I can watch TV in several ways, all of the UK panel comedies I like to watch are available in HD quality on YouTube, I have Netflix and I use illegal downloads a lot as well.

I recently subscribed to a live TV service, one of the IPTV services. These are mostly illegal, they stream feeds that can be received using an IPTV app on a phone/tablet, PC or directly onto a Smart TV. For a tenner a month I got 50,000 channels. Now that sounds ridiculous but they just cover all bases. BBC1 HD was on there as was every BBC region, likewise every ITV region. What I really got was:

All UK free to air channels.
All Sky Channels (including movies and sports)
All US free to air channels (Again, every region of ABC)
All US satellite and cable channels (again including sports and movies)
A few Canadian, Australian and European channels as well.
Also, every UK or US pay per view event is on there live with no extra charge.

There are IPTV services available that cover many more nations channels as well.

I stopped it, not because it wasn't good value - it was. Nor because of signal quality, it was excellent, and it had a guide just like legal cable setups do, but just because I rarely used it. Like normal live TV, something is on at the time it's on, and you have to be in front of the TV at the right time to watch it.

Using YouTube, Netflix, downloads etc, I can watch stuff when I happen to be in, which is much more convenient. if I get in late, I don't have to put up with whatever's on, or channel surf trying to find something, I can watch whatever I want to watch.

Having lost live TV, I've realised there's no reason to get it back.

With BBC now also broadcasting most stuff on iPlayer, having the same results of watching it whenever you want, I think scheduled TV is just a habit, or something done by people who haven't caught up with technology. In 50 years I suspect it may not even exist anymore, with the exception of live events.

0 members, 112 guests
No Members online

18th September 2021
FreedomRider is the new Minigolf champion with a score of 137
18th September 2021
FreedomRider is the new Jail Break champion with a score of 3
18th September 2021
FreedomRider is the new Yeti 5: Flamingo Drive champion with a score of 1,274
18th September 2021
superwoman is the new Yeti 2: Pingu Slap champion with a score of 628
18th September 2021
superwoman is the new Bowling tgfg champion with a score of 92