Blog: Dordie

Posted by Dordie on 4th June 2013 at 21:45
  1. JUN

At last the memory comes to me.

As a young man in a TB sanatorium in Norfolk, I met a fellow female patient..June.. who was convalescing in Home Place, deep in the woods. We spent the summer together walking the woods, visiting Sherringham and Cromer on the bus, if we were short of money, they allowed us to travel free. I was discharged in the autumn and I could never remember how we parted.
    Suddenly, 60 years later it all came back to me.

Bi-weekly a bus came from Peterborough to Kelling *sanatorium (*a ...
    Categories
    Member Blogs
  2. Posted by Dordie on 7th February 2012 at 11:57
  3. FEB

Fog, frost, ice and snow.

I was 22 years old and drove a new 4 wheeled Dodge Kew, it had a 6 cylinder Chrysler petrol engine, there was no cab heater and no warmth from the engine which was out front.
    The cargo was straw, baled straw, destination 200 miles away at Cardiff. The owner strove to load it with 8 tons, he was satisfied if he achieved that weight, it was almost impossible to do without making the journey perilous in the extreme. The lorry was extended at the front, at the back and foot overhang each side. ...
    Categories
    Member Blogs
  4. Posted by Dordie on 31st May 2011 at 21:34
  5. MAY

I'll describe a few lorries we called 'Animals'

British Road Services Peterborough...fleet code 21H had probably the largest array of pre -war vehicles in the country, some of which were evil bastards to drive.
    I will run through a few of the worst and the heart palpitations they gave me, the dread of knowing where you were to drive it to and the sweat.
    A pre-war ERF 3 axled, two at the front and one at the rear - known as a Chinese 6. Reg No: JE 4524. When I had it it had a small non coated steel steering wheel, cold to the touch ...

Updated 31st May 2011 at 22:22 by Dordie

Categories
    Member Blogs
  6. Posted by Dordie on 29th August 2010 at 11:42
  7. AUG

My Daughter is now in Corfu...How did she manage it?

'I am going on August 28th, from Gatwick' 'I have started a new job and though I am pushing it, I have just enough money for the trip'

How are you getting to Gatwick I asked...don't know was her reply. I offered to drive her there - a round tip of 260 miles - she asked how much I would charge her, I replied nothing, I will take you down there for free. She accepted.

Later it dawned on me...bank holiday weekend...calamity Jane at work again, my daughter is renowned ...
    Categories
    Member Blogs
  8. Posted by Dordie on 30th July 2010 at 00:56
  9. JUL

Malware.

Monday...Scotty pops up a window....will you accept...why the hell I accepted I don't know.

'Antivir solutions pro' loaded itself on my machine, disabled all functions, all websites and browsers.

Disabled the 'Add remove' function, the lot.

"Run a scan, buy this buy that'.....piss off!

PC Solve, in my area....yes, we will sort it, bring your computer, we will need it for 4 days, cost 75.

Phoned a couple of people ...
    Categories
    Member Blogs
Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC