All Blog Entries

Posted by Plutonium on 19th August 2012 at 07:34
  1. AUG

When my number comes in

Bruce Springsteen sang, on his Nebraska album, "now mister, when my number comes in, I ain't never gonna ride no used car again".

Leaving aside the semantic issues of the triple negative, this illustrates a contrast between the UK and US lottery systems. In America, each ticket has a single serial number, and whichever serial number is selected, is the winning ticket. Hence "when my number comes in", rather than, for the UK, "when my numbers come in". In ...
    Categories
    Member Blogs
  2. Posted by Scrotnig on 12th August 2012 at 18:12 (Blog Of An Admin)
  3. AUG

Test

Test - ignore
    Categories
    Member Blogs
  4. Posted by Plutonium on 11th August 2012 at 11:40
  5. AUG

The Perils of Probability

Human beings' brains are not wired very well to deal with probability. Even mathematical experts sometimes get it wrong.

A common mistake among gamblers is to assume that, if there has been, say, a run of occasions when the roulette ball has stopped on a black, then the next time round it is more likely to stop on a red. Assuming there are equal numbers of black and red slots on the roulette wheel, and the wheel is not biassed in some way, next time round it is still only 50% likely ...

Updated 11th August 2012 at 11:44 by Plutonium

Categories
    Member Blogs
  6. Posted by Alice on 31st July 2012 at 17:33
  7. JUL

Goodbye Alarm Clock

The last week and a bit has been really great, no alarm clock, no targets, no deadlines, no pressure. But wait a minute, Alice is bored. And when Alice gets bored, she posts crap on BC.

I think I may just go into work on Friday morning, I can easily find stuff to do.

33 days until school starts...
    Categories
    Member Blogs
  8. Posted by Plutonium on 28th July 2012 at 09:03
  9. JUL

Monty Hall II

Well, there have been some interesting comments on my last post, but what I think we need to do, is review the situation.

In the Monty Hall problem, most people's reasoning would be: there are two remaining closed doors, so there is a 50% chance that the car is behind one or the other. Therefore, the your chances of winning the car are not improved by swapping doors, they stay the same.

In reality, there is still only a 1/3 chance that you picked the right door to start ...

Updated 28th July 2012 at 09:04 by Plutonium

Categories
    Member Blogs
Page 3 of 53 << First 1234513 ... Last >>

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC