Car recommendations
Started by Chris Mitchell, 4th November 2010 00:46 in Talk & Chat

1. #41 | 1488965
    Fluffed out
    England

NOV

Default Re: Car recommendations

bill jarvis
    When my daughter passed her test, I looked for a year old small car for her, they were so expensive it hardly seemed worth taking the chance that it hadn't been ill treated for 12 months.
    I finally bought her a new Citroen Saxo, a big mistake, it was a pile of rubbish.
    Stick to Japanese.

bill
    Interesting, thanks Bill - as for your last sentence, I am indeed very tempted to "stick to Japanese". I quite like the look of some Peugeots, but I've heard bad things in general about the reliability of French cars.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread - I'm definitely taking notes! I'm off to bed now, and may not get a chance to get on BC for a few days, so if I don't acknowledge anyone's comments for a while, that's why.

2. #42 | 1488967
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

NOV

bill jarvis
    When my daughter passed her test, I looked for a year old small car for her, they were so expensive it hardly seemed worth taking the chance that it hadn't been ill treated for 12 months.
    I finally bought her a new Citroen Saxo, a big mistake, it was a pile of rubbish.
    Stick to Japanese.

bill
    I was talking to someone the other day that has an 05 Renault Megane, which he bought from new. He won't be buying another Renault again. French cars don't have a good reputation, part of the problem being that they are "Over-Engineered" (That trick Citroen Suspension being a prime example)......

.... he was telling me this whilst giving me a lift home in a 17-year old Toyota Corolla that he bought from new, and still going strong.

3. #43 | 1488972
    Official Forker the Porker
    stalker
    Pakistan

NOV

Durgemeister
    I was talking to someone the other day that has an 05 Renault Megane, which he bought from new. He won't be buying another Renault again. French cars don't have a good reputation, part of the problem being that they are "Over-Engineered" (That trick Citroen Suspension being a prime example)......

.... he was telling me this whilst giving me a lift home in a 17-year old Toyota Corolla that he bought from new, and still going strong.
    I've bought two French cars in my life both new, the Citroen and a Renault, both were a pile of junk.
    I would only buy either Japanese or German cars, preferably Japanese, as you're paying extra for a badge when it comes to German cars.

bill
    Rees Mogg for PM

4. #44 | 1488977
    BC Member
    BC Team

NOV

How very rood!

5. #45 | 1488979
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

NOV

bill jarvis
    I would only buy either Japanese or German cars, preferably Japanese, as you're paying extra for a badge when it comes to German cars.

bill
    Lexus isn't a German marque though, is it?

6. #46 | 1488998
    Eat More Beef
    United_States

NOV

bill jarvis
    The only trouble with buying small Japanese cars nearly new, they fetch such high prices that a new one is not too much more money.

bill
    we bought our 99 Camry in 2003 Used with 64,000 miles for $13,000.00 Have had several letters from dealers wanting to offer a trade in because of the high resale value.

7. #47 | 1489175
    BC Member
    Wallis & Futuna

NOV

French cars do seem to have gained a bad reputation lately. I used to be a big Renault fan - I started with a Renault 16, then an 18, then a 20 and a 25. Had a break whilst I had company cars (Vauxhall Cavalier - nice, and BMW 325 - shite), then back to Renaults. My brand new Savanna did 130,000 trouble free miles before it rotted out (living nect to the sea ...) and my second Savanna did quite well ... UNTIL ... it hit the problem that Durge mentioned - over engineering. The steering rack needed replacing, and would have cost more than I paid for the car - mostly in labour charges. Guys at work who drive Renaults and Citroens seem to be always complaining about niggling little problems, like door locks snapping, and warm start issues.

Someone has just bought a Nissan Juke. I have to say, it's probably the ugliest little car I've ever seen, which would preclude it from being a theft target, but once inside, it seems to have everything one could possbly want - plus the advantage of a fairly high driving position. PLus, being a Nissan, it'll probably never ever go wrong. This guy who bought it, traded up from a Micra...

8. #48 | 1489245
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

NOV

Actually Skoda have released a new car, looks hard...

Liked by: sphinx

9. #49 | 1489247
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

NOV

nicknotnicked
    Actually Skoda have released a new car, looks hard...

10. #50 | 1489253
    BC Member
    England

NOV

Would probably suit Chris's macho hard man image.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!
    Liked by: sphinx

Thread Information