Churches in Muslim countries.
Started by Fork Me, 12th August 2009 13:07 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 1316974
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

Default Churches in Muslim countries.

The tired old argument that we shouldn't allow Mosques because "most" Muslim countries do not allow churches has raised its head again. Let's put tghis to bed once and for all.

As I stated in another thread I openly condemn any country that doesn't allow people to worship freely.

Wikipedia lists 48 countries in the World that are predominately Muslim. It may not be the most reliable source in the world but it's the best I can find, so in alphabetical order, here they are with information about whether they do or sdon't have/allow churches. Click Here

Percentage rounded to nearest whole number.

Afghanistan: (99% muslim) I was wrong earlier, churches were banned under the Taliban, but the country does now have one small Catholic chapel. Christianity is now legal, but there just aren't many christians there.

Algeria: (99% Muslim) Christianity legal. Churches exist.

Azerbaijan: (93% Muslim) Christianty allowed. A new Catholic church was built in the capital as recently as 2002. It replaced the old church which was destroyed, not by Muslims, but by Communists when it was a part of the Soviet Union. There are also several other Christian denominations (including the Church of Armenia) which worship openly in Azerbaijan.

Bahrain: (81% Muslim) Churches allowed.
    Bangladesh: (90% Muslim) Churches allowed.

Brunei: (67% Muslim) Christians are free to worship, the Catholic Church has three churches in the capital and two in other towns. Bear in mind Brunei is a tiny country. Brunei has its own Catholic bishop.
    Click Here

Burkino Faso: (50% Muslim) BF has total religious freedom. There are several churches in the capital. I've been concentrating too much on catholic churches, so here's a Baptist evangelical one.

Chad: (54% Muslim) Approximately 30% of Chad's population are Christian. Christians worship openly. I can't find a photo because a google image search for Chad Church comes up with loads of St Chad's!

Comoros: (98-99% Muslim, sites vary) The Union of the Comoros is a tiny African state of 3 islands. It's population is 98-99% Muslim, there are less than 400 Christians. Despite that it has 3 Churches (2 catholic, one protestant) who carry out their business unheeded. Christianity was briefly banned following a coup in 1999, however, religious freedom was reinstated in a new constitution in 2001.

Djibouti: (94% Muslim) The population here is 94% Muslim, 6% Christian. Christians worship freely with no restraints.

Egypt: (90% Muslim) Churches allowed. The Pope of the Coptic Church resides in Egypt.

Eritrea: (60% Muslim) A relatively new state, gaining independence from Ethiopia in 1993. There is freedom to worship in Eritrea, but any religion has to be registered and recognised by the government, currently three Christian denominations (including Catholics) are recognised and worship openly with their own churches.

Guinea: (85% Muslim) 10% Christian. All Christian denominations are recognised by the government and are free to worship.

Indonesia: (86% Muslim) Christians are free to worship.

Iran: (98% Muslim) Christians are, maybe surprisingly, allowed to worship.

Iraq: (97% Muslim) Likewise.

Jordan: (95% Muslim) The Coptic church is partciularly big in Jordan.

Kazakhstan: (57% Muslim) The Russian Orthodox Church is big here. Kazakh culture is built on tolerance and once it gained independence from the USSR hundreds of mosques, churches and synagogues were built relatively quickly.

Kosovo: (90% Muslim) According to wikipedia, Kosovo is "densely covered" with Serb orthodox churches and monastries.

Kuwait: (85% muslim) Churches allowed.

Kyrgyzstan: (75% Muslim) The Russian Orthodox Church is big here.

Lebanon (60% Muslim) I was surprised that figure was so low! Anyway, there are several churches here. 39% of Lebanese are Christian and worship freely. Here's one of the oldest:
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

2. #2 | 1316977
    BC Member
    Czech_Republic

AUG

Default Re: Churches in Muslim countries.

there is a huge difference between : churches allowed and free worship

eta:

synagogues are allowed in germany. free worship is still not possible 60 years after the end of the shoah and ww2
    8 x 8 = something, or the other

Prove I cannot be pagan

stones do not replace the consultings of doctors
    if your condition doesnt improve, or with serious issues always consult the doctor of your choise and follow their advice accordingly. also a sound diagnoses will always help in finding the right stone to support your healing. do not dismiss medically/pharmacology trained personals advice in favor of complementary healing methods.
    stone healing capacities may vary from person to person.
    you are using stones sollely at your own risk

3. #3 | 1316978
    BC Member
    Czech_Republic

AUG

SteinElfeCW

eta:

synagogues are allowed in germany. free worship is still not possible 60 years after the end of the shoah and ww2
    please list synagogues and jewish services allowed/free jewish worship possible as you go

as well as other not one-theist-religions

Prove I cannot be pagan

if your condition doesnt improve, or with serious issues always consult the doctor of your choise and follow their advice accordingly. also a sound diagnoses will always help in finding the right stone to support your healing. do not dismiss medically/pharmacology trained personals advice in favor of complementary healing methods.
    Liked by: nicknotnicked

4. #4 | 1316983
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

Libya: (97% Muslim). Religious freedom is a given right in Libya.

Malaysia (60% Muslim) Islam is the official religion in Malaysia, but religious freedom is enshrined in law. Buddhists make up the second largest group. 9% of Malaysians are Christian and are free to worship.

Madlives: (99.8% Muslim) No religions permitted by law other than Islam, although in practice, the tiny amount of Christians in the country are left alone and are physically free. So we're down to M before we find the first Muslim country with no Churches.

Mali: (90% Muslim) 5% of Malians are Christian and relations between them and the Muslim majority are (according to wikipedia) amicable. The constitution guarantees religious freedom.

Mauritania: (99.99% Muslim) Mauritania is ruled by a military junta. Churches were banned in 2006. So that makes 2.

Morocco: (99% Muslim) Christianity allowed.

Niger (90% Muslim) Niger is a secular state, freedom to worship any religion is a right enshrined in law. Despite less than 1% of the population being Christian, missionary missions are active and perfectly legal and protected under Niger's law. Churches and Christian schools are open and operate without restriction.

Nigeria (50% Muslim) The Church of Nigeria has 17million members and thousands of churches.

Oman: (93% Muslim) 50 different Christian groups worship freely and openly in Muscat alone.

Pakistan: (97% Muslim) Churches, church schools etc all allowed.

Palestine: (95% Muslim) The Palestinian territories have been a vrtual warzone for a while. Muslim extremists have attacked Christians, but Christian churches, bookshops etc are still in existence and still operate. The official government line is that they are allowed to. Christians have increasingly found themselves in the middle of the Muslim/Jewish struggle. However, churches are still permitted and many of Christianity's holiest sites (including the Church Of The Nativity in Bethlehem) are within Palestinian territory and operate.

Qatar: (77.5% Muslim) The Catholic Church built a new church in Doha (Our Lady Of The Rosary) in 2008 with government permission.

Saudi Arabia: (100% Muslim) Number 3. Christianity is banned in Saudi Arabia.

Senegal: (94% Muslim) Hardly any Senegalese are Christian, but Protestant and Catholic Churches both exist, although they cater mainly to foreigners, including Europeans. They are free to worship and preach openly. The Bahai'i Faith is the second biggest religion and also operates freely.

Sierra Leone: (60% Muslim) The Church operates freely in Sierra Leone and there are Churches and Church schools. The Church of England has a surprisingly high profile. I have even met the protestant Bishop of Freetown.

Somalia: (99.9% Muslim) Somalia has no effective government so laws on religious freedom or otherwise are pretty much irrelevent. There is a Roman Catholic Cathedral in Mogadishu, but it was damaged in the civil war. To all intents and purposes, however, Christians are persecuted here so we can call it number 4.

Sudan: (90% Muslim) 5% of Sudanese are devout Roman Catholics. Churches exist. The Coptic churchis also significant.

Syria: (90% Muslim) Churches allowed.

Tajikistan: (97% Muslim) There is religious freedom in Tajikistan, although religions have to register with the government, however, they only need 10 or more members to do this. Churches operate freely.

The Gambia: (90% Muslim) Christianity is the second largest religion in The Gambia. Not only do churches operate freely, but intermarriage between Muslims and Christians is common.

Tunisia: (98% Muslim) Tunisia allows both Christains and Jews to worship freely. There are Churches and synagogues in the capital and one of the oldest synagogues in the world operates on the island of Djerba. Many Jewish pilgrims visit it without restriction every year.

Turkey (99.8% Muslim). Turkey is a secular state by constitution. Religious freedom is enshrined in law.

Turkmenistan: (89% Muslim) 9% of the population are orthodox Christians and the orthodox church is recognised and protected in law. Churches exist and operate freely.

UAE: (76% Muslim) The UAE has a huge amount of foreign workers (mainly in Dubai and Abu-Dhabi). Christians can worship freely in all of the Emirate and there are churches and chapels. However, it is illegal to try and convert Muslims.

Uzbekistan: (88% Muslim) Depite this high figure, in a recent survey, only 35% of Uzbeks said they considered religion to be importnat in their lives. The Uzbek government is wary of Christianity and there have been high profile arrests of Christians. However the government is secular and it is an East-West political pressure as opposed to a Muslim one. There are, however, some very large churches in Uzbekistan.

Yemen (99% Muslim) Despite its tiny Christian population, Yemen does have Churches, including the Anglican Christ Church Aden, originally built for British Seamen. It is part of the Anglican diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf and operates without restriction.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

5. #5 | 1316984
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

SteinElfeCW

eta:

This thread is in response to claims from some among the rightards that churches would not be allowed in Muslim countries. It has taken enough of my time to do this.

If you want to know about synagogues and Jews in more detail, do your own research! Although I will say that the majority of these countries do permit Judaism as well.

Interestingly, the Koran calls Jews and Christians "People of the Book" and demands they are treated with respect.

6. #6 | 1316987
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

Anyway, let's summarise, out of 48 countries with 50% or higher Muslim population only 3 don't allow Churches by law. One other prevents them practically, although the country is effectively an anarchy.

There are 12 countries in the world with a Muslim population of 98% or higher. All four are in this band meaning that two thirds even of this group do allow churches.

Even using 99% as our figure, less than half don't allow churches (4 out of 9).

7. #7 | 1316989
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

....and the rightards went quiet....

8. #8 | 1317012
    Fluffed out
    England

AUG

Interesting thread - thanks, FM.

As far as freedom of religion for Jews in Muslim countries goes, I know there's an active Jewish community in Iran who are free to worship. Technically, Jews are protected in the Yemen too, but acts of violence against Jews, and murders of Jews, have increased. The family of one murdered man - they moved to Israel after the murder - said they thought all the Jews will leave Yemen; there aren't very many.

However, your point about the Koran calling Christians and Jews "people of the book" is well-made. Islam is, in principle at least, tolerant of monotheistic religions with a specific holy book. I'm not sure how many Islamic countries tolerate pagan worship.

In the first millennium, when Islam was sweeping across Asia, they encountered the Sabians of Harran, and asked them what their holy book was. The spokesman for the Sabians wisely said "The Emerald Tablet of Hermes", so they were allowed to carry on practising their religion. If they'd replied "oh, we're pagans", which they were, they'd probably have been put to the sword along with all the other pagans.

9. #9 | 1317050
    BC Member
    Czech_Republic

AUG

i do not believe we should bann Mosques on the grounds of "you people dont allow churches". this would be sinking to their low level.

I do believe however, that Mosques should not be at any time used as propaganda mashinery against the societies, that have allowed their minority on base of reliigious freedom of the "harbouring" countries to build those houses of worship in the first place.

as long as the mosques are used for worship of their God, and not as instruments for oppression and terrorism masks, - and as long as the mosques do not destroy the city's looks i am fine with them.

when in a german town, a mosque was planned to be built with a minaret higher than any church tower, i do believe this was out of line. the city council objected and became victim of being called neo-fascist in the muslim based media.

this, is wrong, regardless from where you look at it

Prove I cannot be pagan

Liked by: parsonstreet

10. #10 | 1317094
    BC Member
    Cyprus

AUG

SteinElfeCW
    i do not believe we should bann Mosques on the grounds of "you people dont allow churches". this would be sinking to their low level.
    Who's low level? All Muslims? Or just those very very few countries that ban other religions?

I do believe however, that Mosques should not be at any time used as propaganda mashinery against the societies, that have allowed their minority on base of reliigious freedom of the "harbouring" countries to build those houses of worship in the first place.

as long as the mosques are used for worship of their God, and not as instruments for oppression and terrorism masks, - and as long as the mosques do not destroy the city's looks i am fine with them.

when in a german town, a mosque was planned to be built with a minaret higher than any church tower, i do believe this was out of line. the city council objected and became victim of being called neo-fascist in the muslim based media.

this, is wrong, regardless from where you look at it
    Have no problem with any of this.

Thread Information