Windows XP
Started by Nimuae, 30th March 2009 22:54 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #1 | 1268672
    BC Member
    Ireland

MAR

Default Windows XP

Over the last few days everytime I turn off my PC I see the 'Updates will be installed - do not switch off' message - it never advises what these update might be - there is only ever 'one of one', but it happens every time I switch off - which was actually three times today! Is there something going on with Windows in general - or is my machine just having a fit ?

2. #2 | 1268675
    BC Member
    Wallis & Futuna

MAR

Default Re: Windows XP

There have been a fairly large number of security updates recently.

I think M$soft are getting a bit panicky about the Conflicker attack, which is due to go live on April 1st.

3. #3 | 1268678
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

MAR

Nimuae
    Over the last few days everytime I turn off my PC I see the 'Updates will be installed - do not switch off' message - it never advises what these update might be - there is only ever 'one of one', but it happens every time I switch off - which was actually three times today! Is there something going on with Windows in general - or is my machine just having a fit ?
    Normally, if there are updates to be installed, when you go to shut down the PC, there should be a message under the Log Off/Shut Down/Re-Start buttons, that acts like a website link, i.e. you click on it, and your PC shuts down without installing the updates...

... mind you, a week or so ago I went to shut down the PC and that "link" didn't appear, and like yours, it started installing updates. As I was leaving for work, I had to leave the PC running (But unplugged and switched off everything else).

4. #4 | 1268684
    BC Member
    Ireland

MAR

Durgemeister
    Normally, if there are updates to be installed, when you go to shut down the PC, there should be a message under the Log Off/Shut Down/Re-Start buttons, that acts like a website link, i.e. you click on it, and your PC shuts down without installing the updates...

... mind you, a week or so ago I went to shut down the PC and that "link" didn't appear, and like yours, it started installing updates. As I was leaving for work, I had to leave the PC running (But unplugged and switched off everything else).
    It is driving me crackers, Durge, - OK more crackers than usual then - it appears every time I go to switch off. There really cannot be that many updates - can there ?

5. #5 | 1268686
    BC Member
    Ireland

MAR

Sock Puppet
    There have been a fairly large number of security updates recently.

I think M are getting a bit panicky about the Conflicker attack, which is due to go live on April 1st.
    Haven't heard about that, Sock. What is it? and how do I avoid it, if it is something nasty ?

6. #6 | 1268689
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

MAR

Nimuae
    It is driving me crackers, Durge, - OK more crackers than usual then - it appears every time I go to switch off. There really cannot be that many updates - can there ?
    The only update I have had recently - I do keep up to date with them - was for XP Office, which I haven't got anyway.

But you should have a Yellow Exclamation Mark Icon on your System Tray (i.e. Bottom right of the Task Bar, where the Time is) which will bring up a Choice of either Installing them there and then, or checking which updates are ready to be installed - With the latter, you can actually de-select (By clearing the "check box" to the left of the update) any that are not needed.

7. #7 | 1268690
    BC Member
    Wallis & Futuna

MAR

It's pretty widespread. I heard about through "Windows Secrets", a weekly email about .. well, Windows Secrets.

More here ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

8. #8 | 1268707
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

MAR

Nimuae
    it never advises what these update might be
    If you go to *start ->settings -> control panel-> add or remove programmes* then scroll down and under 'windows XP' you will see a list of the updates and when they were installed.

Do NOT remove any of them!!!!
    Love bears all things,believes all things,hopes all things,endures all things. Love never ends. 1 Corinthians: 13

9. #9 | 1268720
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

MAR

I have had to reload my System Three Times last Weekend.

The 2nd time I Reloaded, I played my Continuum Game without a Firewall or Antivirus Program installed and after playing the Game for only 5 Minutes, the System Crashed!

When I booted it back up, I found that Continuum would not play and all the Old Problems that it had before had all come back. The System Ran Slow and Crashed many times.

So this time, after reloading my system, I am not downloading Continuum.

So
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

10. #10 | 1268737
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

MAR

I've had those too Nimuae. There's no message what they are when they are doing it unlike the ones you get when there's an exclamation mark.
    They do seem to have stopped in the last day or so though.
    http://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=569 Dog Lovers Social Group: all welcome with or without a dog!

Thread Information