Started by KiNoRonin, 10th October 2008 02:59 in Halloween

1. #1 | 1209806
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

OCT

Default Ghost Stories

Awens to All:

It occured to me the other day that this Halloween Forum lacks as good Ghost Story thread.

So here it is.

I will start it off with a few Ghost Stories.

First, here is the story of Lilias Drummund.

http://www.fyviecastle.com/legend_of...s_drummond.htm

THE LEGEND OF LILIAS DRUMMOND

We now move to the legend surrounding Lilias Drummond, Alexander Seton’s first wife. Her sister Catherine had married the owner of Leslie castle which was about twenty miles away from Fyvie, and one can imagine that the two sisters had frequent contact, being only that distance apart and with their husbands being old friends. Catherine bore her husband a daughter and a son, but Lilias was not so lucky. She had five daughters in the nine years she was married but no sons; and her eldest daughter can only have been about eight years old when her still youthful mother is reported to have died at the place of Delgaty in Fife (where Alexander had a house and estate). She died on the 8th May 1601, and was laid to rest in the vault at Dalgety that Alexander Seton had had built for himself and his wife.

That is history, but we cannot ignore the legend that has grown up around the name of Lilias Drummond. The great stairway at Fyvie Castle winds upwards to terminate abruptly in a window on the left and small room on the right which opens directly onto the stone steps. This room has been called ‘the murder room’ for generations, and it maybe that the dark panelling conveys a sombre impression which ties in with its sinister name, but there is about it a perceptible atmosphere of gloom and oppression and stains on the wooden floor that are explained as bloodstains.

Tradition maintains that there was once imprisoned in this room ‘one of the ladies Dunfermline’. Her name, and her crime, real or imaginary, are lost to us, but some relate that an outraged husband mistreated her; others that she was kept captive by some enemy who in stormy times had raided the Castle; others that she had been guilty of some terrible crime. But the tale runs that she was held there with a guard’s arm across the door, while all who made their way up the winding stair in a vain attempt to rescue her, were barbarously slaughtered in her presence and their bodes thrown out of the adjacent window. From the horrors she was forced to witness the lady went mad, and was kept in confinement in another room until her death, which was caused, it was said, by starvation. The room where she is said to have died has long been called ‘the ghost room’ from the alleged haunting of the unhappy victim.

Another, more explicit haunting tale concerns Dame Lilias Drummond herself. Her husband Alexander was anxious for an heir, and Lilias’s inability to produce one, it is said, made Alexander look elsewhere. The closeness of his family and that of his friend, the Master of Rothes, meant that the two families saw a lot of one another – and tradition recounts briefly that he fell in love with his niece Grizel Leslie, and Dame Lilias died.

Within six months of Lilias’s death, on October 27th 1601, a marriage contract was drawn up between the Master of Rothes and Alexander, Lord Fyvie, empowering Alexander to marry Grizel Leslie. For some reason, probably because masons were still working on the main part of the building, they spent their wedding night in a more remote room above the Charter Room in the older part of the Castle. Here they heard heavy sighs outside their room, and in the morning they found the name of the dead wife scratched into the stone windowsill – and from within the room the letters were upside down and could only have been carved from outside!

-------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to a Haunted Castle Website:

http://pages.zoom.co.uk/hauntedplaces/castlehome.htm

From that link, you get the following story about the Lady Glamis:

Background: This is the ancestral home of the Earls of Strathmore, the Bowes Lyons. It was given to the family in 1372 by King Robert II. It is also the setting for Macbeth. This is the story of Lady Janet Glamis, wife of the 6th Lord Glamis.

Story: My life changed so much after my husband died. It was bad enough losing him but with him went any protection I had. King James V had always hated my family and seized the opportunity to make us suffer. He accused me of witchcraft and of using my powers to try and kill him. I was no witch and people knew it. But he was powerful and made people speak out against me. Even my 16 year old son was tortured until he accused me of this terrible crime.

I was found guilty on the false evidence of my servants amongst others. In 1537, at Castle Hill, Edinburgh, I was burned at the stake. It was a horrible death and one I did not deserve. My son was found guilty as well but was not to be executed until he had reached his coming of age. Thankfully, the King died before then and my son was restored to his position as Lord Glamis.

You may see me above the clock tower and some people have seen me in the chapel. I share this castle with many other ghosts.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is the Famous Tower of London:

http://www.angelsghosts.com/tower_of...ace_story.html

The White Tower became the place where “high status and royal prisoners” were held and outside of it the Tower Green was reserved for Royal executions. John Baliol, King of Scotland; David II, King of Scotland; John II, King of France; and Henry VI, of England; were prisoners here. Among those beheaded on the Tower Green for treason were William Hastings in 1483, Anne Boleyn in 1536, Margaret Pole in 1541, Catherine Howard and
    Jane Boleyn in 1542, Lady Jane Grey in 1554 and Robert Devereux in 1601. The German spy Josef Jakobs was the last person to be executed. He was shot, not beheaded, during
    World War II, on August 15, 1941.

The ghost of Anne Boleyn (second wife of King Henry VIII) is said to walk around the White Tower carrying her head under her arm. “In 1864 a sentry is said to have challenged a headless figure thought to be Ann Boleyn, his bayonet passed straight through her, and he fainted in shock.” Another sentry heard noises coming from within the locked empty Chapel Royal in the White Tower. “He climbed a ladder to peer down into the chapel, and witnessed a procession of people in ancient dress, with an elegant woman walking in front of them. He recognized the slender figure as Ann Boleyn from portraits.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

TheDruid-3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace
    Liked by: sphinx

2. #2 | 1210325
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

OCT

Default Re: Ghost Stories

We also have a Ghost on BowlandCentral:

http://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum/member.php?u=2891

Ronnie Barker, who played Arkwright in the 1970s TV Show "Open All Hours" passed away in 2005, but he is still Posting on BC.

Spooooooooky!!!

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

3. #3 | 1215485
    BC Member
    England

OCT

Brokensea Audio are presenting their 'Season of Screams' series of ghost stories to download. A minimum of one story per day throughout October!

4. #4 | 1215575
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

OCT

I have never actually seen a Ghost.

So although I believe in Reincarnation, I do not believe in Ghosts.

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

5. #5 | 1217358
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

OCT

All sorts of People are posting Ghost Stories, but not on my Thread.

Doesnt anyone want to post their Favorite Ghost Stories on this thread?

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

6. #6 | 1340923
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

OCT

Awens to All:

When I was a Kid and in the Boy Scouts, my Scout Master told a Very Spooky Ghost Story.

It was during a Wilderness Adventure Camping Trip that we had one of our Evening Campfires.

He told us of a Story of Two Sailors who had come into the area and had set up a Trap Line during the late Fall. They had started their Trap Line rather Late in the Season. One of them has a Ship Tattoo on his Back that was rather Large:

When they did not return, some People went out looking for them.

They found a Roughly Built Cabin, and a few Animal Skins that were Stretched on Frames.

But on one of the Frames, was a Skin of a Sailing Ship!!!:

From that time on, the Howls of the Made Sailor Fur Trapper could be heard through the Woods!!!

After the Fire went out, we all went to Sleep.

That night, an Owl Started Hooting!

After that Ghost Story, the Sound of the Owl Hooting Scared The Shit Out Of Me!!!

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

7. #7 | 1485983
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

OCT

A TRUE IRISH GHOST STORY

This happened a while ago in Belfast, and even though it sounds like an Alfred Hitchcock story, it's true.

John Bradford, a 20 yr old Queen's University student, was on the side of the road hitchhiking on a very dark night and in the midst of a storm. No cars were traveling that night. The storm was so strong he could hardly see a few feet ahead of him.

Suddenly, he saw a car slowly coming towards him and stop. John, desperate for shelter and without thinking about it, got into the car and closed the door.... only to realize there was nobody behind the wheel and the engine wasn't on!!

The car started moving slowly. John looked at the road ahead and saw a curve approaching. Scared, he started to pray, begging for his life. Then, just before the car hit the curve, a hand appeared through the window and turned the wheel. John, paralyzed with terror, watched as the hand repeatedly came through the window, but never touched or harmed him.

Shortly thereafter John saw the lights of a pub appear down the road. So, gathering strength, he jumped out of the car and ran to the pub. Wet and out of breath, he rushed inside and started telling everybody about the horrible experience he had just had.

A silence enveloped the pub when everybody realized he was crying and....wasn't drunk.

Suddenly the door opened and two other people walked in from the stormy night. They, like John, were also soaked and out of breath. Looking around, and seeing John Bradford sobbing at the bar, one said to the other.....

'Look Paddy...there's that freaking idiot that got in the car while we were pushing it.'

Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

8. #8 | 1486007
    Fluffed out
    England

OCT

KiNoRonin
    I have never actually seen a Ghost.

So although I believe in Reincarnation, I do not believe in Ghosts.

3X3
    I have never actually seen a golden eagle.

So although I believe in birds of prey, I do not believe in golden eagles.

9. #9 | 1486061
    BC Member
    Palestine

OCT

If you enjoy ghost stories
    http://manybooks.net/titles/hodgsonw10831083210832.html
    here are some written by a seemingly forgotten spinner of such tales. His The House on the Borderland is also well worth a read.

And of course don't forget the two great masters Sheridan le Fanu and M.R. James!

TC
    Liked by: KiNoRonin

10. #10 | 1486063
    BC Member
    Palestine

OCT

If anyone wants half an hour's listening pleasure check out Radio 4 and The League of Gentlemen's Ghost Chase and overnight stay at The Ancient Ram Inn at Wotton -under-Edge: here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vhfjn

TC
    Liked by: KiNoRonin

Thread Information