Celtic Buddhism!
Started by KiNoRonin, 15th January 2008 15:07 in Paganism & Divinatory Arts

1. #31 | 1604011
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

JAN

Default Re: Celtic Buddhism!

I found another Link to a Website about Celtic Buddhism.

http://celticbuddhistmonks.org/index.html

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace
    Liked by: Bill. MC

2. #32 | 1604012
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

JAN

KiNoRonin
    I found another Link to a Website about Celtic Buddhism.

http://celticbuddhistmonks.org/index.html

3X3
    I am glad we have you in the forums, KiNo...at least you know what you are talking about...(unlike a certain silly poster in this thread who just pretended to have some knowledge).
    Love bears all things,believes all things,hopes all things,endures all things. Love never ends. 1 Corinthians: 13
    Liked by: Bill. MC

3. #33 | 1742382
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

JUL

Awens to All:

I came upon a Book at the Vihara Temple called 'Buddhism Explained' which is written by a British Man who became a Venerable Buddhist Monk who calls himself Bhikkhu Khantipalo. Here is his Wikipedia Listing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khantipalo

He was Laurence Mills born in 1932 and after finding Buddhism while in the British Army and after achieving Ordination, founded Buddhism in Australia. He is currently in an Extended Care Home in Australia but his example could be how someone who has Celtic Ancestors can come to find Buddhist Philosophies as a part of his Spiritual Faith.

This evening, I am going to start Reading his Book 'Buddhism Explained'.

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

4. #34 | 1742385
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

JUL

This is to let you know that the last time I was at the Vihara Temple, I came upon a Book called 'Buddhism Explained' and is written by a British Expat who is now known as Venerable Bhikkhu Khantipalo. Here is his Wikipedia Listing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khantipalo

So far, I am finding it chuck full of excellent Triads of Wisdom and the first part of the Book states that Buddhism promotes Freedom of Will and Philosophies of Life and that there are important Distinctions between the Dhamma and other Religions and that the latter teaches Restrictive Doctrines, Creeds and Dogmas.

After several pages of excellent Triads of Wisdoms, it goes on to tell the Story of the Prince of Sakiyas and how he escaped the Palace Confines and set out to Live as a Hermit until coming to his Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree becoming the Gotama.

I am now on page #15 and will read some more later.

3X3
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

5. #35 | 1742386
    Eat More Beef
    United_States

JUL

6. #36 | 1742387
    Eat More Beef
    United_States

JUL

7. #37 | 1742430
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

JUL

Oden! Guide our ships, Our axes, spears and swords, Guide us through storms that whip
    And in brutal war

Amon Amarth are fuckin AWESOME!
    Liked by: ROOT

8. #38 | 1742431
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

JUL

The Celts migrated east from western Europe during the first millenium BC. Many settled in Turkey, but some may have went further east. The Tocharians are sometimes referred to as Chinese Celts. Their modern day descendents are actually Muslims, but before Islam came to western China the Tocharians would have been Buddhists - i.e. Celtic Buddhists.
    Oden! Guide our ships, Our axes, spears and swords, Guide us through storms that whip
    And in brutal war

9. #39 | 1742433
    Pagan forum moderator
    BC Team
    Canada

JUL

I read some more of the Book just before going to bed and found some more good information in it and found that it says that there is No Idle Worshiping in a Buddhist Temple and that there is supposed to be No Prayer in a Buddhist Temple and that one does not Pray to a Buddhist Venerable Teacher but one should have Veneration and Repsect for the Teacher.

On page #5 it states that the Best Offerings that can be made to a Buddhist Temple is a Triad of Incense, Flowers and Candles which is exactly the sort of Gifts I like to give to all, not just Buddhist Temples.

Then on page #14, I found that there is a listing of the Three Pollutants that cause Destruction to ones Happiness and they are the Desire of Sensual Pleasures, Desire for Continual Existence, and the Unknowing of Existence.

Last night before going to sleep, I read the section starting from Page #20 on Sufferings and Happiness and that section goes into the type of Suffering that Buddhists refer to as Dukkhas and involves the various Cravings, Pains and Sorrows that occur in ones life such as the Pain of being Born, the Needs and Wants of Materialism and the Aches and Strains of becoming Old and Feeble.

I am now at page #28 and I hope to read more this evening and get some more insight on the subject of the Dukkhas.
    Islam
    Is Not A
    Religion
    Of Peace

10. #40 | 1742434
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

JUL

More here about the ancient Celtic Buddhists:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...es-413638.html

And in brutal war

Liked by: ROOT

Thread Information