firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....
Started by CookieNinja, 17th January 2006 18:01 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #1 | 771993
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

Default firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/app...9247539,00.htm

I should add that my understanding is that the UK is one of the slowest countries in Europe, when it comes to switching or making use of both IE and firefox.
    My Blog innit ... find out how boring my life is!

God of the small things - random dribblings from my mind

2. #2 | 772028
    BC Member
    BC Team

JAN

Default Re: firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

View Quoted Post In 771993 CookieNinja said:
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/app...9247539,00.htm
    I should add that my understanding is that the UK is one of the slowest countries in Europe, when it comes to switching or making use of both IE and firefox.
    If IE's cache goes for others anything like it has gone for me, Firefox will be the market leader in weeks.

If nothing else, its damn cache works properly!

Firefox's cache: "Oh, I think I'll keep all these images in case they are needed later".
    IE's cache: "Oh, these images haven't been used for almost ten minutes, obviously they'll never be needed again so I'll just bin them so they all have to be downloaded again really slowly and meticulously."
    Climate change is NOT an emergency

3. #3 | 772056
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

JAN

Default Re: firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

..and FireFox doesn't come up with that "Has encountered a problem, send report/don't send report" Dialogue every time it does some seemingly simple. Mind you, that may be something to do with still using Win98SE !

4. #4 | 772575
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 772056 Durgemeister said:
    ..and FireFox doesn't come up with that "Has encountered a problem, send report/don't send report" Dialogue every time it does some seemingly simple. Mind you, that may be something to do with still using Win98SE !
    For people who don't want to upgrade or just can't be arsed, software like firefox is good because it doesn't require version x or y of windows. The requirement will only change when it really is a benefit or needed for a good reason.

As a side note, I have installed a recent version of linux & windows 2000 on 2 computers.

One was a case of "install, restart, update, done - with very minimal configuration"

One was "install, restart, install servicepack4, reboot, install new update software, reboot, install ie6sp1, reboot, install wmp & directx, reboot ... and perhaps some more installs & reboots". I am leaving out 1 or 2 reboots for when some hardware drivers were installed too.

The complexity of installing windows is way above linux, even if one allows for the fact that installing winXPsp2 would have cut out one or two reboots. What's more linux, when started included software that was additional downloads for windows.

One of the pair of installs was on a new computer with fairly modern bits n pieces such as 64amd cpu, sata harddrive, usb2, pci-express gfx card too ... but linux didn't break a sweat.

The only pain with linux was me forgetting to buy a well supported wireless card, but one bit of hardware not being 100% is a very minor pain ... plus it was actually bad luck too, as every other wifi card I have ever bought without thinking works well. I'll have that sorted very soon, and the pain is a lot less than windows even still.

The above is written without bias as to what i like or don't like. Windows has consumed about 80% of my time, that's just a fact.

5. #5 | 772583
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

View Quoted Post In 772575 CookieNinja said:
    For people who don't want to upgrade or just can't be arsed, software like firefox is good because it doesn't require version x or y of windows. The requirement will only change when it really is a benefit or needed for a good reason.

As a side note, I have installed a recent version of linux & windows 2000 on 2 computers.

One was a case of "install, restart, update, done - with very minimal configuration"

One was "install, restart, install servicepack4, reboot, install new update software, reboot, install ie6sp1, reboot, install wmp & directx, reboot ... and perhaps some more installs & reboots". I am leaving out 1 or 2 reboots for when some hardware drivers were installed too.

The complexity of installing windows is way above linux, even if one allows for the fact that installing winXPsp2 would have cut out one or two reboots. What's more linux, when started included software that was additional downloads for windows.

One of the pair of installs was on a new computer with fairly modern bits n pieces such as 64amd cpu, sata harddrive, usb2, pci-express gfx card too ... but linux didn't break a sweat.

The only pain with linux was me forgetting to buy a well supported wireless card, but one bit of hardware not being 100% is a very minor pain ... plus it was actually bad luck too, as every other wifi card I have ever bought without thinking works well. I'll have that sorted very soon, and the pain is a lot less than windows even still.

The above is written without bias as to what i like or don't like. Windows has consumed about 80% of my time, that's just a fact.
    what sort of rating would you give neo-planet?

6. #6 | 772589
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 772583 nicknotnicked said:
    what sort of rating would you give neo-planet?
    Not actually used it or heard of it before. I'd have to take time out to find out more.

7. #7 | 772593
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

View Quoted Post In 772589 CookieNinja said:
    Not actually used it or heard of it before. I'd have to take time out to find out more.
    the executable is only small if you want to pm me an email addy I will send it and you can try

8. #8 | 773895
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

I put Neo Planet on the pc today after IE6 started not displaying page after a refresh (happened about 20 times)
    Neo Planet is working fine and is a lot quicker on the Forum than IE6

9. #9 | 773901
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

JAN

View Quoted Post In 773895 nicknotnicked said:
    IE6 started not displaying page after a refresh (happened about 20 times)
    Sorry about that....it happened to us all today.

From the automated mails received it looks like there was a problem with MySQL.

10. #10 | 773909
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

JAN

I noticed today that Netscape (Which I have to have installed for my course) offers the choice of Rendering pages via Firefox or IE. Plus it has the tabs thing. Think I may stick to using that (He says posting via IE).

Thread Information