firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....
Started by CookieNinja, 17th January 2006 18:01 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #21 | 774029
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

JAN

Default Re: firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

View Quoted Post In 774006 CookieNinja said:
    Yes, I know this. IE 7's effect will be interesting, I don't expect any change in what's happening but we will see.

Incidentally, HP are starting to officially ship linux pre-installed in South America where linux has made a fair bit of progress. It's also the 1st time that any major supplier of desktop machines has shipped linux for non-server pcs.

The trend towards there being 2 or 3 popular operating systems, with a quality version of all important apps running on all of them, seems to genuniely be developing from where I am standing. I've even managed to install linux for newbie users and they've not cared because they can do everything that they need to do with a small number of slowly but ever decreasing exceptions.

I'm guessing, but I presume shipping with Linux is to cut down on Licensing costs ?. Makes sense. I will personally stick with MS, even if 98SE causes me various problems from time to time, and the fact that the latest games need XP to run.

Mind you, it would appear that Linux and it's variants are far more trusted than Microsoft for Web Servers, and Industrial Automation. You're more in the know that I CN, but I'm presuming that's a stability/security Issue ? I know it is stability for using QNX (Used in Automation system, and of course a variant of Linux).

Btw BC comes to us courtesy of a trusty old Linux Powered Apache Server. !

2. #22 | 774037
    BC Member
    England

JAN

Default Re: firefox is at 20% usage in Europe according to this news article ....

Quite right NNN an operating system that will run all the programmes you need. I have no objection to the nerds playing around with these fringe operating systems and browsers if that keeps them happy, myself I just want a machine that starts up every day, does everything I ask of it without ever falling over. Microsoft does that. Market share proves my point exactly.

Colonel

3. #23 | 774045
    United Kingdom

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774012 nicknotnicked said:
    a while back some customer came in with a brand new Tiny machine and asked me to reload it
    It had Linux on it and he couldn't use it or so he said
    First time I have seen it loaded on a domestic machine
    any way I ended up putting xp pro sp2 and he went away happy
    I did give it a go myself about 4 years ago, but I cocked it up slightly and wiped out an entire disk of personal stuff (When I Should have copied it over to the other drive). Ever so slightly put me off Linux, but at some stage during my course I am going to have to get myself dirty with Apache. Still, shouldn't be too bad, after all, I can remember when Windows were used for staring out of, and having a Mouse meant calling Rentokill.

4. #24 | 774258
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774012 nicknotnicked said:
    a while back some customer came in with a brand new Tiny machine and asked me to reload it
    It had Linux on it and he couldn't use it or so he said
    First time I have seen it loaded on a domestic machine
    any way I ended up putting xp pro sp2 and he went away happy
    Yeah, tiny tried it for a while. I'm not saying it's for everyone, just the people who I identified, most of whom do not have program x or y that they have previously used and want to continue using.

My dad knows nothing about computers what-so-ever, and I don't want to trouble him with educating him about viruses & spyware. I went for linux because I can get straight to the useful things and fun things instead of treating the computer like a dangerous object by giving him lessons on how to use it safely. I can also remotely admin the machine and install software via a dos/shell terminal instead of something like pc-anywhere or VNC which takes up a lot more bandwidth.

My lady doesn't care about much more than browsing the web, reading her emails & playing music or films on her computer. Again, I can remotely admin the machine and don't have to bother her with antivirus and anti-spyware education. I can install it and just say "use it" and "run this program to do that".

There's lots more reasons too, but I'm looking at it from their perspective. Minimum education & training, & easy for me to help them from a remote location when they want something done for them.

Dirge, QNX shares some traits of linux/unix operating systems, but is different in many ways. I can't say I know a hell of a lot about it, as it only came to my attention when it *was* going to form the basis of AmigaOS 4. I've heard a lot of good things about it, though. If you've used it day to day then you're likely to know more about what it's *really* like than me.
    My Blog innit ... find out how boring my life is!

God of the small things - random dribblings from my mind

5. #25 | 774261
    thinking "I think I am a
    piece of cheese,...

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774037 Colonel said:
    Microsoft does that. Market share proves my point exactly.
    You'd have to know the history of the company & some stuff about how the pc industry for us to debate that properly. I disagree, immensely, but there's no point discussing it unless both of us are on the same level. Marketshare only tells the outcome, nothing else. Just because something got somewhere doesn't mean that it was deserved. Some would say that their position was illegal. The "anti-trust" case against them was very political too, like many other things that happened during their assent. Some of what they did and achived was very good, I'll hasten to add, but anyway ...
    My Blog innit ... find out how boring my life is!

God of the small things - random dribblings from my mind

6. #26 | 774320
    United Kingdom

JAN

View Quoted Post In 774258 CookieNinja said:

Dirge, QNX shares some traits of linux/unix operating systems, but is different in many ways. I can't say I know a hell of a lot about it, as it only came to my attention when it *was* going to form the basis of AmigaOS 4. I've heard a lot of good things about it, though. If you've used it day to day then you're likely to know more about what it's *really* like than me.
    Tbh CN, I was little more than just an operator as regards QNX. It was basically used in a network of 9 or so Industrial PC systems (Around 10,000 or so each) controlling the operation of 3Kms of Automated Conveyor system, Tracking the Parcels, and passing the Data for the parcels through to external systems. Very impressive to watch in operation, but a bit of a pain when things went wrong.

Fault diagnosis, and the start-up of individual parts of the system (It would automatically stop if a blockage occured, as frequently did) was done via an OS/2 based Machine in the control room. It used to crack me up that the night staff had a unique solution for the problem of the Incorrect time during BST - a piece of Black Tape on the Screen covering the time. I'd never used OS/2 before, but it didn't take long for me to suss out how to change the time !.

Thread Information