Memory Problems
Started by River Poison, 15th February 2005 11:30 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #1 | 591092
    BC Member
    Norfolk Island

FEB

Default Memory Problems

I wonder if any of you can help - I seem to be having memory problems with my computer. It started last night when, as I was trying to shut it down before going out, it started freezing soundbites and repeating them in a loop. It was one hell of a noise, I can tell you.

But anyway, when I got in last night after watching some pretty dire bands, and one good one, I found problems with my computer. It wasn't opening some of the bigger files and programs for some reason. I checked again and again, and it would open smaller files but not the bigger ones - and it wasn't just one file, it was a whole range of them. It also wasn't the program I was using, because I tried it in a different one and the same thing happened. The programs basically just froze.

When I shut the computer down too, it took near to five or ten minutes to pass that silly screen saying "Windows is shutting down", which indicates that some of my memory is tied up somewhere and I need to release it to make full use of it.

My memory isn't small - 383Mb with a 1Gb processor powering it, but I don't think it's all being used, or that it hasn't been freed since the task it must have been doing when it went wrong. Does anyone know of a way of freeing up this memory or will I have to buy some new memory?

2. #2 | 591094
    Fat, old hippy

FEB

Default Re: Memory Problems

Kick it

3. #3 | 591096
    Hammond and May out
    England

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591094 LadyLush said:
    Kick it
    I kicked mine and broke my effing toe.

4. #4 | 591105
    BC Member
    Norfolk Island

FEB

Most odd - I dunno what I've done to it, but it's suddenly started working again. Very strange. I'll tell you if it does it again though, because I'm not entirely sure this is a permanent fix...

5. #5 | 591106
    BC Member
    BC Team

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591105 River Poison said:
    Most odd - I dunno what I've done to it, but it's suddenly started working again. Very strange. I'll tell you if it does it again though, because I'm not entirely sure this is a permanent fix...
    You could have thanked Lush and Dordie for their helpful advice RP, after all, it clearly worked.
    Climate change is NOT an emergency

6. #6 | 591109
    Fat, old hippy

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591106 Mark.B said:
    You could have thanked Lush and Dordie for their helpful advice RP, after all, it clearly worked.
    Yes Mark he could have, at least you thought of it. RP has no manners its no wonder i'm not his girlfriend. Not that I'd ever go out with a student i'm not keen on the smell of super noodles.

Sara xxx

7. #7 | 591112
    BC Member
    Norfolk Island

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591109 LadyLush said:
    Not that I'd ever go out with a student i'm not keen on the smell of super noodles.

Actually, according to the latest nationwide student survey, hardly any students eat super noodles.

And I didn't thank you for the advice because it was dumb, Lady. I would expect the same reaction if I had said it (which, let's face it, I often do)

8. #8 | 591114
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591105 River Poison said:

Sounds like a routing problem with your ISP.....nothing you can do about temporary glitches of that sort but grin and bear it.
    They who walk in silence hang the innocent and set the guilty free.

9. #9 | 591115
    Hammond and May out
    England

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591106 Mark.B said:
    I should jolly well think so....what do you say Sara?

10. #10 | 591116
    Hammond and May out
    England

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591109 LadyLush said:
    super noodles.
    ....and dandelion & burdoch drink....

Thread Information