Memory Problems
Started by River Poison, 15th February 2005 11:30 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #21 | 591152
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

FEB

Default Re: Memory Problems

View Quoted Post In Post 591119 River Poison said:
    It wasn't to do with the internet though - it was accessing files on my computer.
    I only posted that because I think the words 'routing problem' sound knowledgeable.

2. #22 | 591187
    Fat, old hippy

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591151 Colonel said:
    If, as you say the programme was running in the background then it would have shown that in Task Manager RP. Lady Lush was correct.
    Bugger off RP. Thanks Colonel <smug>

Sara xxx

3. #23 | 591539
    BC Member
    Norfolk Island

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591151 Colonel said:
    If, as you say the programme was running in the background then it would have shown that in Task Manager RP. Lady Lush was correct.

So if it did not appear in Task Manager, as you say, then it was not running - period.

Then, how do you account for the fact that even switching off the computer various times didn't fix it? Surely even if the program was running, that would have cured it?

No, it wasn't that. The program itself wasn't running, but the memory was tied up to the task that wasn't completed. Hence why, when the task wasn't completed properly (due to a problem with the program) the memory didn't free itself. Only trying to repeat the task and cancelling it properly freed the memory for the rest of the computer to continue normally. Understand that now?

And I don't have Task Manager anyway - being still on that backward of systems Windows 98 SE.

Btw, does anyone know how to free up memory? My computer is still being rather sluggish even now...

4. #24 | 591541
    BC Member
    Norfolk Island

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591152 sphinx said:
    I only posted that because I think the words 'routing problem' sound knowledgeable.

So do "elementary phenomenon" but that wouldn't have made sense in this instance either

5. #25 | 591545
    Fat, old hippy

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591539 River Poison said:

Btw, does anyone know how to free up memory? My computer is still being rather sluggish even now...
    Clear your internet cache, run adaware and defrag, make syre you defrag a few times until it only takes about 2 minutes to run through.

Sara xxx

6. #26 | 591546
    BC Member
    England

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591539 River Poison said:

Delete some of the icons you have on the desktop/or any screensaver you have on there........that uses lots of memory. Close any progs that may be running in the background, that you aren't using. Err, dunno what else.

btw, I have task manager and I'm running Win98

7. #27 | 591547
    BC Member
    England

FEB

....yeah and do all what Lush said.

8. #28 | 591551
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591547 Katitude said:
    ....yeah and do all what Lush said.

Yep.......and what Kat said. It is only an elementary phenomenon after all.

9. #29 | 591671
    BC Member
    Norfolk Island

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591545 LadyLush said:
    Clear your internet cache, run adaware and defrag, make syre you defrag a few times until it only takes about 2 minutes to run through.

I don't have anything that clears the cache - I can clear internet temporary files, but there's a whole load of temp stuff that doesn't get deleted for ages (well, a few days at least). I don't even know what adaware is, and defrag for me takes days (literally) and I have to run Scandisk before I do it, or else I may end up doing more damage to the disk than curing it.

Actually, I've figured that the memory problems may have something to do with the fact that I'm running two operating systems atm - one corrupt one that is inaccessible, and the one I'm actually using. Don't ask

10. #30 | 591676
    BC Member
    BC Team

FEB

View Quoted Post In Post 591671 River Poison said:
    I don't have anything that clears the cache - I can clear internet temporary files, but there's a whole load of temp stuff that doesn't get deleted for ages (well, a few days at least). I don't even know what adaware is, and defrag for me takes days (literally) and I have to run Scandisk before I do it, or else I may end up doing more damage to the disk than curing it.

Actually, I've figured that the memory problems may have something to do with the fact that I'm running two operating systems atm - one corrupt one that is inaccessible, and the one I'm actually using. Don't ask
    Open up your temporary internet files folder and manually delete everything in it. That will empty your 'cache'.

Thread Information