Anyone built their own computer?
Started by Reg Perrin, 29th July 2019 16:44 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #11 | 2124883
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUL

Default Re: Anyone built their own computer?

Reg Perrin
    Anyway, reconnected the power jumpers. Think I did it correctly this time in that the machine powered up. Unfortunately it didn't post. The machines alive but in a coma. Going to have a little rethink as to whether to proceed or not.
    there will be some power connectors u haven't hooked up........even a bust motherboard will at least post something...even if only an error message..........u got power going into ur GPU?

......I imagine u are using a discrete gpu as u would need one for Civ 6 or whatever headfuck of a game it is you like to play.
    Scrot is a poof!

2. #12 | 2124886
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUL

BobBobson
    there will be some power connectors u haven't hooked up........even a bust motherboard will at least post something...even if only an error message..........u got power going into ur GPU?

......I imagine u are using a discrete gpu as u would need one for Civ 6 or whatever headfuck of a game it is you like to play.
    Straight forward gpu and that's what's making the noise. What's a discrete one?

3. #13 | 2124905
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUL

Reg Perrin
    Straight forward gpu and that's what's making the noise. What's a discrete one?
    'discrete' is 'separate' i.e. not built into the mobo or integrated with the CPU.

Either your GPU is fkd, or you aren't giving it enough power, hence the lack of display, bios post or otherwise......

......or maybe you are such a retard, that you don't even have the HDMI/DisplayPort cable plugged into the right port (I have seen people make such retard errors before).
    Scrot is a poof!

4. #14 | 2124906
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUL

BobBobson
    'discrete' is 'separate' i.e. not built into the mobo or integrated with the CPU.

Either your GPU is fkd, or you aren't giving it enough power, hence the lack of display, bios post or otherwise......

......or maybe you are such a retard, that you don't even have the HDMI/DisplayPort cable plugged into the right port (I have seen people make such retard errors before).
    It's not even posting Bob. I read that an unplugged graphics card would prevent this as might a dodgy controller on the HDD. I've changed the motherboard battery and I've taken out and put back in the memory. I think the cabling is ok. I'm thinking that maybe I have short-circuited the mobo or it was fucked already when I got it off eBay. This is an old computer and getting it up and running is just a mini hobby. The only reason I started on this was that I was going to cob it out but checked how much the graphics card was going for before I did. And that alone was worth £50 I thought I might as well give it a go at installing a new mobo as one was going for just £25 on eBay.

5. #15 | 2124907
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUL

I've always had separate GPU's btw, never seen anything other.

6. #16 | 2124909
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUL

Reg Perrin
    It's not even posting Bob. I read that an unplugged graphics card would prevent this as might a dodgy controller on the HDD. I've changed the motherboard battery and I've taken out and put back in the memory. I think the cabling is ok. I'm thinking that maybe I have short-circuited the mobo or it was fucked already when I got it off eBay. This is an old computer and getting it up and running is just a mini hobby. The only reason I started on this was that I was going to cob it out but checked how much the graphics card was going for before I did. And that alone was worth £50 I thought I might as well give it a go at installing a new mobo as one was going for just £25 on eBay.
    urghhh....you never said that...

mobo off e-bay.......

I presume that the mobo and the CPU was manufactured in the last 10 ten years, which means it probably has an iGPU built into it? Try seeing if you can get a display output through that.

If ur GPU is worth £50....ur machine must be a right potato.
    Scrot is a poof!

7. #17 | 2124911
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

JUL

Reg Perrin
    I've always had separate GPU's btw, never seen anything other.
    Remove the shiny lid labelled 'PSU', place both feet in a bucket of water, grasp the red wire, then the black wire, having first made sure your computer is switched on at the mains and all will be well.

HTH
    Liked by: sphinx

8. #18 | 2124912
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUL

BobBobson
    urghhh....you never said that...

mobo off e-bay.......

I presume that the mobo and the CPU was manufactured in the last 10 ten years, which means it probably has an iGPU built into it? Try seeing if you can get a display output through that.

If ur GPU is worth £50....ur machine must be a right potato.
    It is, it's shit, that's why I'm farting about with it now. My super duper machine is back at the manufacturers, I'll find out what the problem with that is in the next couple of days. I'm not in to computer machoism Bob, I paid a lot for the one I've got now in order to check out VR, so apparently it's all kitted up for that. In the end, after checking VR out, I couldn't be arsed with it and to be honest, apart from being able to play end game civ 6 games with enormous maps, it's probably way too powerful for my needs. It's nice to have all the options though.

9. #19 | 2124936
    BC Member
    Scotland

JUL

Reg Perrin
    It is, it's shit, that's why I'm farting about with it now. My super duper machine is back at the manufacturers, I'll find out what the problem with that is in the next couple of days. I'm not in to computer machoism Bob, I paid a lot for the one I've got now in order to check out VR, so apparently it's all kitted up for that. In the end, after checking VR out, I couldn't be arsed with it and to be honest, apart from being able to play end game civ 6 games with enormous maps, it's probably way too powerful for my needs. It's nice to have all the options though.
    VR.....cool as a novelty....

.....a bit much too be sitting with one of these things strapped to your head for any length of time though........not to mention the motion sickness.

......also the health impacts of these things make it prohibitive in my view....

WiFi transmitter strapped to your head, two screens placed 2 inches in front of each eye.....

......also noticed my sense of balance in the real world being totally altered after a while with a VR headset on.....
    Scrot is a poof!

10. #20 | 2124940
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

JUL

I had to Build a Computer from Scratch when I was in Electronics College in 1986. I had to Wire it up from Scratch or Fail.

I Did Not Fail.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.
    Liked by: sphinx

Thread Information