Boris Johnson will crash and burn
Started by Plutonium, 24th July 2019 17:06 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 2124178
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

Default Boris Johnson will crash and burn

Most new PMs have fairly short "honeymoon" periods before things start going pear shapes, but I can't remember the last time when a new PM had members of his own party resigning from office because they couldn't work with him.

This is my own prediction for PM's prime ministership. It could end up being one of the shortest (if not the shortest one) in British history.

Johnson has got where he is by promising lots of things that he can't fulfill, like tax cuts for high earners combined with promises of spending. Now he will have to face reality.

He says he wants to renegotiate the Brexit deal with the EU. The EU have persistently said they will not renegotiate it. He wants to get rid of the Irish "backstop"; the EU have said that that's not going.

So he says he will get the UK out of the EU on or by 31 October, with or without a deal. But there will no deal except for the one negotiated by Theresa May, and Parliament have voted to prevent the UK leaving without a deal (which almost all economic experts, plus both the CBI and TUC, in an unlikely alliance, agree will be economically catastrophic for Britain).

So what are Johnson's options?

* Ask the Queen to pro-rogue Parliament so he can rule as a dictator. Whether the Queen says yes or no to this, it means she is being dragged into politics, which she has avoided all her reign. It will provoke the biggest constitutional crisis in 300 years.

* Threaten to withhold our 39 billion exit bill. This will amount to economic warfare with the EU, and would have unpredictable consequences. It would cause huge reputational damage to the country, affecting our ability to negotiate all these trade deals we're supposedly going to have around the world. The EU wouldn't take it lying down, they would retaliate in ways as yet unknown.

* Betray his promise and accept the Brexit deal, or climb down and ask for another extension to Brexit. That would be vintage Johnson but it would destroy his own reputation.

* Call a snap election, which he said he won't before Brexit, but he may be left with no choice. In a four way fight in England between the Tories, Labour, the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems, the Tories could face being hammered. Many Conservatives might refuse to stand on a platform of a no deal Brexit. The party could be split and might not survive.

All in all, Johnson may not even stay in power for the 99 days till Brexit.
    JOHNSON OUT - "Elected" by 0.14% of the population

Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

2. #2 | 2124182
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

Default Re: Boris Johnson will crash and burn

So those are my predictions for Johnson's time as PM. Time will tell whether I am proven right. However, I have been proven right before on the EU in these forums. I correctly predicted that David Cameron would honour his promise to hold the EU referendum if he won the 2015 election; certain posters were convinced that he wouldn't. I didn't make a prediction about the outcome of the referendum, but I correctly predicted the mess we would be in if the result was Leave - over our relationship with the EU post-leave, and crucially the Irish border question.

So here's the deal. I challenge the forum owners to make this thread a sticky so we will see over the next few months how true my predictions are. How about it, guys?

3. #3 | 2124190
    Just an allusion
    England

JUL

Why does it have to be sticky, you know where to find it if you need it and if you don't ask Kino. He can find posts that no-one even knew existed. Plus it's only 99 days. Maybe we could have a countdown thread instead.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.
    Liked by: Dordie, sphinx

4. #4 | 2124192
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUL

I'm happy to sticky it, though it should be noted nobody notices stickies as everyone uses 'Today's Posts' and they don't 'stick' in there....
    Climate change is NOT an emergency

5. #5 | 2124194
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

Alice
    Why does it have to be sticky, you know where to find it if you need it and if you don't ask Kino. He can find posts that no-one even knew existed. Plus it's only 99 days. Maybe we could have a countdown thread instead.
    Well yes, it doesn't have to be a sticky, I'll make sure it stays on Page 1, whatever happens. I just want to see if the forum owners, who seem to be delighting in lefties "having it up 'em", have the confidence in their own position, to make it a sticky and see if what I say is borne out.

6. #6 | 2124199
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

Scrotnig
    I'm happy to sticky it, though it should be noted nobody notices stickies as everyone uses 'Today's Posts' and they don't 'stick' in there....
    The poster "Everyone" may use today's posts, I don't ( can't speak for the poster "Nobody"). I look at the main forum index. Each to their own.

7. #7 | 2124201
    Fluffed out
    England

JUL

Actually, the 39 billion is barely a threat. It's a drop in the ocean of any country's budget - our own annual budget is about 750bn, so 39 billion is what we spend in about two weeks. Divide that between 27 countries, and they'll barely notice the difference. However, the damage a trade war with the EU could do to us would be very noticeable. It's akin to trying to negotiate an interest rate cut with your mortgage company, and threatening to withhold a couple of months' payment if they refuse to budge thinking they'll be quaking in their boots at the loss of revenue.
    Liked by: Plutonium

8. #8 | 2124202
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUL

Plutonium
    Well yes, it doesn't have to be a sticky, I'll make sure it stays on Page 1, whatever happens. I just want to see if the forum owners, who seem to be delighting in lefties "having it up 'em", have the confidence in their own position, to make it a sticky and see if what I say is borne out.
    Well I've already stickied it, so there.

Besides which, I really don't care if he DOES crash and burn. I'd like to see the Tories out of power, unfortunately at this time there is no alternative. None at all. They are shit, but they are less shit than everyone else. That sums up the appalling state of British politics.
    Climate change is NOT an emergency

9. #9 | 2124204
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

Chris Mitchell
    It's akin to trying to negotiate an interest rate cut with your mortgage company, and threatening to withhold a couple of months' payment if they refuse to budge thinking they'll be quaking in their boots at the loss of revenue.
    But a lot of Leavers have that mentality, unfortunately. They greatly overestimate the UK's position.

Liked by: Chris Mitchell

10. #10 | 2124205
    Fluffed out
    England

JUL

Scrotnig
    Don't they? I only use Today's Posts, and if I've been banged up in pokey again on holiday for a while, I miss a load of posts, naturally, but I thought I'd spotted stickies?

Thread Information