Ask me anything about Prison and church
Started by parsonstreet, 10th July 2019 15:33 in Talk & Chat

1. #21 | 2122940
    here
    Wales

JUL

Default Re: Ask me anything about Prison and church

Plutonium

* I believe you are mixed race; how did your black parent become involved in the church?

My fathers mother in Jamaica was a Methodist who I believe sometimes did ministry. But his dad may have been an atheist. He claims Sunday school was a treat for children in Jamaica in those days.

When my dad moved to the UK in his early twenties I think he was nominally Christian and he smoke and drunk and went to the Cinema.

The next part of the story is unclear but someone he was working with used to chat with him in the work canteen and convinced he wasn't a proper Christian and need to be "born again".

After this apparently my dad was out in town with the Salvation Army listening to a woman preach and someone from the brethren accosted him and told him that it was wrong for women to preach and managed to convince my dad to join the brethren.

Here women were not usually allowed to pray or preach and in some churches weren't allowed to sing and shouldn't cut their hair or wear make up and jewelry. For example one my sisters got chewing gum stuck in her hair and this annoyed my mum because it meant she had to cut some of my sisters hair off.

This is where he met my mother who grew up in the halls.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

2. #22 | 2122941
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

parsonstreet

Here women were not usually allowed to pray or preach and in some churches weren't allowed to sing and shouldn't cut their hair or wear make up and jewelry. For example one my sisters got chewing gum stuck in her hair and this annoyed my mum because it meant she had to cut some of my sisters hair off.

This is where he met my mother who grew up in the halls.
    When I originally moved to my area, there was an Exclusive Brethren church, and several nearby houses were occupied by Brethren. The women all wore headscarves. I don't know what happened, but the church closed and all the Brethren moved away.
    JOHNSON OUT - "Elected" by 0.14% of the population

Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

3. #23 | 2122946
    here
    Wales

JUL

Plutonium

* Have you experienced racism in the Brethren or in prison?

The brethren don't have many black members (or many members at all) but they don't tend to be racist.

So when my mother got engaged to my dad she thought is would be okay but her mother did not want her to marry a black man so she disowned her for a few years until my mother got pregnant with her first child and she reconciled.

But there were some other mixed race relationship in the churches when my mother was younger.

In my experience prison was not racist and I didn't see acts of racism. There was just one instance where one inmate made some really racist comments in front of me about black athletes not knowing I'm mixed race.

There were no racial divides like in American prisons homophobia was a bigger problem. You couldn't come out of the closet.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..
    Liked by: Plutonium

4. #24 | 2122973
    here
    Wales

JUL

Plutonium

* When did you break with the Brethren?
    I always found it a stressful, boring, depressing and judgmental environment but I think the following was the turning point.

We used to have street preaching twice a month. Once in Newport, Wales and once in Bristol.

During the public preaching there would be men holding placards (exactly) like this.

preaching.jpg

During one of these gatherings a man came out of a shop near where the preaching was in Newport and collapsed. There were few dozen people in the meeting who saw this. Eventually an old women exited the shop and saw the man and shouted that he had a had a heart attack and an ambulance were called.

I was distressed by this because at the time my dad and one my Sisters were Nurses and there were other people in the gathering with a medical background that ignored the man and no one helped him while "the gospel" was being yelled.

When I questioned them about it later they said they didn't help him because they thought he was a drunk.

This was very stressful for me because I knew these people would not help you in your direst need.

The PTSD continues.

5. #25 | 2123000
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUL

parsonstreet
    Some prisoners claim prison is easy which to me seems like bravado or maybe due to the length of their sentences.

It depends on the length of your sentence I suppose. I met people who only got a two week sentence but suffered panic attacks.

After a long time some people get used to it and are institutionalized.

There are other people whose friends, social group and neighbours are also in prison. Your crime, personality, friends, mental health etc are all going to make a difference to your incarceration. Prisons are quite similar.

In youth prisons lights usually go out at twelve clock at night and breakfast was served in your cell or a dining hall ate 8.00.

Sometimes you could spend 20 hours in your prison cell if you didn't have a cleaning or catering job or education course. Most of your time is spent in a cell. But you usually get 2 hrs recreation to watch telly between 7-9.

I witnessed a lot of craziness such as suicide attempts, a rape of someone, drug taking the occasional violent physical assault. I didn't see the rape but knew the people involved.

A vulnerable inmate was raped and on discovery the perpetrator tried to hang himself but someone found him and rescued him
    but when the rescuer heard about the rape he attacked the perpetrator and due to this attack lost his cleaning job and in protest cut his wrists about 30 times but survived but I saw his wrists and the pool of blood in his cell. This person had also been raped as a child and strangely a few weeks later prison chaplain was accused of molesting inmates..
    Thank you, Parson.
    Liked by: sphinx

6. #26 | 2123012
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUL

parsonstreet
    I always found it a stressful, boring, depressing and judgmental environment but I think the following was the turning point.

We used to have street preaching twice a month. Once in Newport, Wales and once in Bristol.

During the public preaching there would be men holding placards (exactly) like this.

preaching.jpg

During one of these gatherings a man came out of a shop near where the preaching was in Newport and collapsed. There were few dozen people in the meeting who saw this. Eventually an old women exited the shop and saw the man and shouted that he had a had a heart attack and an ambulance were called.

I was distressed by this because at the time my dad and one my Sisters were Nurses and there were other people in the gathering with a medical background that ignored the man and no one helped him while "the gospel" was being yelled.

When I questioned them about it later they said they didn't help him because they thought he was a drunk.

This was very stressful for me because I knew these people would not help you in your direst need.

The PTSD continues.
    In the place I used to live in my younger years (a suburb of Stockport, near Manchester) there was a Brethren meeting house. They used to stand on the local high street and give out their "gospel" rants, ignored by everyone.

Once I passed them and went into a shop. Leaving the shop, they had vanished. I was wondering if the Rapture had taken place.
    JOHNSON OUT - "Elected" by 0.14% of the population

Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

7. #27 | 2123015
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

JUL

I want to ask about the blaze,techniques used etc.

8. #28 | 2123105
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUL

Parson - how long were you in prison and did your family visit/support you?

9. #29 | 2123383
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUL

Bump!

10. #30 | 2123422
    here
    Wales

JUL

Luna
    Parson - how long were you in prison and did your family visit/support you?
    I did 2 and half years or more from a four year sentence. I didn't leave prison straight after getting paroled because they couldn't find a hostel for me. Prison was interrupted by a few months in a psychiatric unit in and in a hostel before sentencing.

My family visited me initially but then I stopped speaking to them after a row with my dad. I was in the visiting room in prison and he was going to say a prayer and I told him not to and that if he did they I wouldn't see them again but he did anyway.
    Then I had had time to reflect on my abusive childhood and wrote a letter to them about it and cut off contact. But eventually I got back in contact.

Thread Information