Another MP is recalled
Started by Plutonium, 22nd June 2019 08:18 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 2121405
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Default Another MP is recalled

Earlier this year, I argued that MPs like Fiona Onasanya found guilty of serious crimes should lose their seats. In return I was subjected to ad hominem remarks and the usual foul abuse. However, my position was vindicated when the constituents of Peterborough signed a recall petition to remove Onasanya so that there would be a by-election.

Now another MP has been recalled, this time a Tory MP in a "fingers in the till" case. Chris Davies, MP for Brecon and Radnorshire, was found guilty in March of false expenses claims.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47667080

There has now been a successful recall petition, so Davies has lost his seat, and there will be a by-election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48720176

Now let's be clear about one thing. Davies was not actually imprisoned - he was fined and ordered to do community work - so under the rules I advocated, he would not automatically lose his seat. However, this second recall petition indicates the depth of anger among ordinary people about the culture of wrongdoing among certain MPs, something which certain people (mainly lefties) in the "Bowland Bubble" don't seem to grasp.

2. #2 | 2121406
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Default Re: Another MP is recalled

The by-election should be interesting. Results from the 2017 general election:

Conservative 20,081
    Lib Dem 12,043
    Labour 7,335
    Plaid Cymru 1,299
    UKIP 576

Normally this would be a shoo-in for the Tories. But the Brexit party could take votes away from them and let in the Lib Dems. Under our potty electoral system, this could go any of three ways, with the winning candidate winning as little as 30% of the vote.

3. #3 | 2121407
    Mad as a spoon

JUN

The Welsh lot are a joke
    The cons will lose heavily
    Labour are crap so they'll lose a load of votes
    The lib dems will improve. maybe even win
    Brexit won't do as well as it's Wales so voters are very probably mostly stupid

However, they might see sense and elect a brexit MP as this was a tory area so they can't all be idiots

There is a hope for the Conservatives if Boris is leader rather than that pathetic bitch they had before, but only if the corrupt bastard Davies either sods off or is sodded off by the party..
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.
    Liked by: sphinx

4. #4 | 2121410
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Plutonium
    Now let's be clear about one thing. Davies was not actually imprisoned - he was fined and ordered to do community work - so under the rules I advocated, he would not automatically lose his seat. However, this second recall petition indicates the depth of anger among ordinary people about the culture of wrongdoing among certain MPs, something which certain people (mainly lefties) in the "Bowland Bubble" don't seem to grasp.
    To me, this shows you were wrong about the need for such MPs to automatically lose their seats. The system works, if their own constiuents want them out it can happen.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

5. #5 | 2121414
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Fork Me
    To me, this shows you were wrong about the need for such MPs to automatically lose their seats. The system works, if their own constiuents want them out it can happen.
    Well it is happening, and good, but I don't see how that means I am wrong about MPs automatically losing their seats if they get a custodial sentence of 1 month or more. The constituents of Peterborough shouldn't have needed to raise a recall petition over it.

6. #6 | 2121424
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Plutonium
    Well it is happening, and good, but I don't see how that means I am wrong about MPs automatically losing their seats if they get a custodial sentence of 1 month or more. The constituents of Peterborough shouldn't have needed to raise a recall petition over it.
    Why shouldn't they?

It should be the constituents that get to make the decision.. They voted the MP in.

As an example, Caroline Lucas was arrested at a fracking demo. She didn't get a custodial sentence, but she could have. Should she lose her seat for protesting something that she made very clear she was against before the election? INMVHO, that is for the people that voted her in to decide.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

Liked by: sphinx

7. #7 | 2121479
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Fork Me
    Why shouldn't they?

It should be the constituents that get to make the decision.. They voted the MP in.

As an example, Caroline Lucas was arrested at a fracking demo. She didn't get a custodial sentence, but she could have. Should she lose her seat for protesting something that she made very clear she was against before the election? INMVHO, that is for the people that voted her in to decide.
    I have made it perfectly clear that only MPs who get sent to prison for more than a specific period should lose their seats. Currently, as I understand it, only MPs who go to prison for more than a year lose their seats. That limit is too long. In our system, we only get one MP. If that MP is in the slammer, then we have no representation.

8. #8 | 2121481
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Plutonium
    I have made it perfectly clear that only MPs who get sent to prison for more than a specific period should lose their seats.
    So what? That doesn't negate my argument in the slightest. The term you were talking about was 1 month. I know people who have been inside for more than a month for peaceful protest because some copper got rubbed up the wrong way.

9. #9 | 2121485
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Fork Me
    So what? That doesn't negate my argument in the slightest. The term you were talking about was 1 month. I know people who have been inside for more than a month for peaceful protest because some copper got rubbed up the wrong way.
    Now you're getting onto a different argument, about which sentences are justified and which aren't. I can't comment on cases I don't know about. Maybe one month is too short a limit but certainly three months should cause an MP to lose their seat.

10. #10 | 2121487
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Plutonium
    Now you're getting onto a different argument, about which sentences are justified and which aren't. I can't comment on cases I don't know about. Maybe one month is too short a limit but certainly three months should cause an MP to lose their seat.
    No, I'm not getting into a different argument at all. I have made no comment about whether or not sentences were justified.

YOU said that any MP who gets a custodial sentence of one month should automatically lose their seat. I disagree, and I've given reasons why.

Thread Information