Simpson's Law
Started by Memnoch, 19th June 2019 19:59 in The Boring Bin

1. #1 | 2121195
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Default Simpson's Law

Just seen an episode of the Simpsons in which Homer states:

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."
    Someone in the toilet cubicle corrects him and says it's a right triangle.

Obviously they're both wrong because any two sides of any triangle add up to more than the other side, although what Homer said sounds like Pythagoras except he said square roots instead of squares and it was the wrong kind of triangle. The character in the cubicle also missed that it should have been squares not square roots.

But I'm wondering... did the writer also get Pythagoras wrong, i.e. does the writer agree with the character in the cubicle, or is the writer just nerd-hunting?

Then I thought about the algebraic expression of what Homer said: √a + √b = √c
    The simplest whole number solution is 1, 4, 9 which features in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or there's 9, 16, 49. Or 25, 36, 121. Whatever you like, there are infinitely many solutions, it just doesn't have anything to do with triangles.
    Or does it? It certainly doesn't work in a flat plane nor on a sphere, but is there some geometry in which it does work, or is there a physical object or process that satisfies the equation (apart from the Monolith alluded to above)?

The Simpsons often makes vague cultural references and allusions, and I can't help thinking there must be some reason why that specific mistake was written in, some 'in' joke that I've missed?
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

2. #2 | 2121212
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

Default Re: Simpson's Law

Do you really pay so much attention to a lousy american cartoon ?
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2121220
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Luna
    Do you really pay so much attention to a lousy american cartoon ?
    Not particularly, but I'm attuned to that kind of statement. I would have noticed it whatever the context.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: Luna

4. #4 | 2121223
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

That's OK then - I was worried

5. #5 | 2121224
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Memnoch
    J
    The Simpsons often makes vague cultural references and allusions, and I can't help thinking there must be some reason why that specific mistake was written in, some 'in' joke that I've missed?
    There is a reason, but it's a movie reference, not a maths reference. "Homer's Law" is the same as that stated by the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz when he gets his "diploma".

Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

6. #6 | 2121258
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Canada

JUN

It proves that just because of having a Diploma does not mean anything about how Smart or Wise you are.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

7. #7 | 2121259
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

TheDruid 3X3
    It proves that just because of having a Diploma does not mean anything about how Smart or Wise you are.

3X3
    It's fiction, it proves no such thing.

YOUR post, however, proves that you are a total fucking moron.

(Abuse intended, anyone that feels the need to point out it's there is ALSO a total fucking moron)
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

8. #8 | 2121263
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUN

Fork Me
    It's fiction, it proves no such thing.

YOUR post, however, proves that you are a total fucking moron.

(Abuse intended, anyone that feels the need to point out it's there is ALSO a total fucking moron)
    Lol.

Thread Information