Hmmmm........
Started by superwoman, 14th June 2019 23:15 in Talk & Chat

1. #11 | 2120941
    Fluffed out
    England

JUN

Default Re: Hmmmm........

Years ago I found one of my number plates was missing. I phoned the police, who weren't very interested on the grounds that number plates aren't expensive, so it was hardly a major theft. I pointed out that I'd reported it in case someone had decided to do a ram-raid on a shop using my number plate!

I then phoned the Nissan dealer to get a new plate, and they very helpfully told me that they themselves used an independent garage that was more local to me than the dealership was, and that that garage would be quite a bit cheaper than them - and indeed, it was. I think it cost me a fiver, but the thing that shocked me is that I didn't have to show the garage any form of ID whatsoever, or any proof that I owned the car with that number plate; they made the plate up while I waited, and I gave them a fiver in cash. I don't know if the law has changed since then, but it seemed a pretty easy scam to get away with all sorts of things - parking, speeding, congestion charge cameras and so on, not to mention robberies. All you'd need to do is look for a car (on the street or in a car park) the same make and colour as yours, and order a set of plates with their number.
    Liked by: sphinx

2. #12 | 2120954
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUN

Plutonium
    It's scary that your car and number plates had been cloned - do you know if they found out who did it?
    No I didnít ... just received an apology letter as I stated earlier. Mind you I got another letter from the police the other day, thought OMG not again. But it was another apology letter from a different department of the police!

3. #13 | 2120959
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Chris Mitchell
    Years ago I found one of my number plates was missing. I phoned the police, who weren't very interested on the grounds that number plates aren't expensive, so it was hardly a major theft. I pointed out that I'd reported it in case someone had decided to do a ram-raid on a shop using my number plate!

I then phoned the Nissan dealer to get a new plate, and they very helpfully told me that they themselves used an independent garage that was more local to me than the dealership was, and that that garage would be quite a bit cheaper than them - and indeed, it was. I think it cost me a fiver, but the thing that shocked me is that I didn't have to show the garage any form of ID whatsoever, or any proof that I owned the car with that number plate; they made the plate up while I waited, and I gave them a fiver in cash. I don't know if the law has changed since then, but it seemed a pretty easy scam to get away with all sorts of things - parking, speeding, congestion charge cameras and so on, not to mention robberies. All you'd need to do is look for a car (on the street or in a car park) the same make and colour as yours, and order a set of plates with their number.
    The last time I had a replacement plate made was over twenty years ago and I had to provide proof that I was allowed to use the number. If a supplier didn't ask me for proof I'd suspect he was accustomed to dealing with criminals.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

4. #14 | 2120987
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

You have to take the v5 document with you to get a number plate made.
    Three button t-shirt it's a tie-dye

5. #15 | 2120988
    Fluffed out
    England

JUN

Memnoch
    The last time I had a replacement plate made was over twenty years ago and I had to provide proof that I was allowed to use the number. If a supplier didn't ask me for proof I'd suspect he was accustomed to dealing with criminals.
    That was my thought, too. However, this was before the Twin Towers attacks, so a very long time ago. The garage itself was a very small outfit, but the main Nissan dealer in Bristol used them and recommended them, which made me think they were legit.

6. #16 | 2120989
    Fluffed out
    England

JUN

Scrotnig
    You have to take the v5 document with you to get a number plate made.
    That makes sense, and I can see they're quite strict about it according to the gov.uk website.

7. #17 | 2121041
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Chris Mitchell
    That makes sense, and I can see they're quite strict about it according to the gov.uk website.
    It's a (relatively) recent thing. When I first started driving you didn't need that, it came it at some point later on. Nows they are very strict, I had one of my Mondeos in for MOT a few years ago and the number failed as it was cracked, I had to pop down(in my OTHER car) and bring them the 5 or they wouldn't have made me a new plate and would have failed the car.
    Three button t-shirt it's a tie-dye

8. #18 | 2121096
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

JUN

Scrotnig
    It's a (relatively) recent thing. When I first started driving you didn't need that, it came it at some point later on. Nows they are very strict, I had one of my Mondeos in for MOT a few years ago and the number failed as it was cracked, I had to pop down(in my OTHER car) and bring them the 5 or they wouldn't have made me a new plate and would have failed the car.
    It is because of all the Eastern European criminals we've been forced to import by the eu.

Thread Information