Best cover version that you didn't know was a cover...
Started by Fork Me, 14th June 2019 04:58 in Music & Video

1. #31 | 2121231
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

Default Re: Best cover version that you didn't know was a cover...

Fork Me
    No. That's a YouTuber doing a cover.
    Eeek -- I thought I had found a treat for Plutonium! Thank you, Forkers!
    Liked by: Plutonium

2. #32 | 2121246
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Fork Me
    No. Bowie wrote the song for Mott The Hoople.
    I never knew that. I can only remember three Mott The Hoople tracks including that one. (No, as I'm writing I've just remembered a fourth). Quite surprised that someone of his calibre would be writing for them. Or maybe they were bigger than I remember?
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

3. #33 | 2121254
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Memnoch
    I never knew that. I can only remember three Mott The Hoople tracks including that one. (No, as I'm writing I've just remembered a fourth). Quite surprised that someone of his calibre would be writing for them. Or maybe they were bigger than I remember?
    It was their first successful track althugh they had been playing with a cult following for many years. The story goes that Bowie was a huge fan of the group from their early days. He met the bass player who told him they were thinking of splitting due to lack of success so he decided to give them a song. He offered them the already written Suffragette City first (which they rejected so he recorded it himself) and then sat down and wrote this song specifically for them, according to legend, sitting cross legged on the floor with their singer.

Bowie was generally known as a nce guy who helped out people when he could. Bowie got success the hard way, he released two failed albums (both titled justt David Bowie) and 9 singles before he got his first chart hit single (Space Oddity in 1969, the second album only charted when it was re-released under a new title a few years later).

He also helped out Lou Reed when he went solo after the break up of The Velvet Underground. Bowie sang backing vocals on and co-produced Reed's first solo album.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

4. #34 | 2121404
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUN

"Blinded by the Light" was released by Manfred Mann's Earth Band in 1976 and was a No 1 hit. The 16-year-old me assumed it was their song. In fact it was written by Bruce Springsteen for his debut album "Greetings from Asbury Park NJ" in 1973. Springsteen released it as a single but it flopped.

Here is the Manfred Mann version.

At the time, Springsteen was little known in Britain, although he became huge later. Years later when I bought the Asbury Park album, I heard Blinded by the Light on it and had a "hello, what's this?" moment.

Compared to the original, I think the Manfred Mann version has a faster tempo.

Here is Bruce Springsteen explaining the meaning of the lyrics, which he wrote using a rhyming dictionary. Contains a rather amusing explanation as to why Manfred Mann's version was successful and his wasn't.

JOHNSON OUT - "Elected" by 0.14% of the population

Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm
    Liked by: Fork Me

5. #35 | 2121411
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Another one I didn't know, I'd also always assumed Manfred Mann's version was the original.

Bruce's version is awful thoough.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

6. #36 | 2121412
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

A song here with loads of covers. Britney covered it, Five and Eminem both sampled it, and there have been numerous minor covers and a Wierd Al Yankovic parody.

I always though Joan Jett's version (1982) was the original though:

Then, probably about 15 years ago now, I heard this, the 1975 original by Arrows:

7. #37 | 2121413
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

I'm a big fan of Joan Jett, this is a song from her first solo album (which I have a rare original copy of from 1979) which I DID know was a cover.

This is the original from 1963:

Although Dusty did it a year later as an album track:

The Blow Monkeys covered it on the Dirty Dancing Sountrack in 1987, and many people of a certain generation think that's the original.

...although many youngsters will only have heard this version from 2015 and assume it is an original:

8. #38 | 2121872
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUN

This is one I remembered today.

"Daddy Cool" was released by the Darts in 1977, again I assumed it was an original. In fact I only found out recently that it was a cover of a song by the Rays, 20 years earlier. I was most surprised given some of the lyrics, from 1957, which I had assumed to be the language of the late 60s hippy era.

"I saw a crazy chick running down the street, I said
    'Hello pretty baby, why the great big heat*?'
    She said 'wow what a square, don't you dig the scene?
    Daddy cool's playing his piano machine!'"

* 'beat' in the Darts version.

Here is the Darts version, with Den Hegarty "dancing around like Frankenstein wrapped in tin foil", as it says in the blurb. Was what happened at 1:46 deliberate or accidental? Anyway, I'll have a pint of whatever he was on!

This is the Rays version.

But then, when is a cover not a cover? Once Hegarty starts singing, it's a completely different song. In the Rays version, the "chick" becomes his girlfriend. In the Darts version, "the girl can't help it, she was born to dance".

9. #39 | 2121873
    Johnson OUT
    St Lucia

JUN

Plutonium
    "I saw a crazy chick running down the street, I said
    'Hello pretty baby, why the great big heat*?'
    She said 'wow what a square, don't you dig the scene?
    Daddy cool's playing his piano machine!'"

* 'beat' in the Darts version.
    Sorry, I meant "beat" in the Rays version. 2L82edit.

10. #40 | 2121880
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

1952 Yma Sumac.

1958 The Kingston Trio

1962 Karl Denver

The Tokens (not sure of the date)

Thread Information