Best cover version that you didn't know was a cover...
Started by Fork Me, 14th June 2019 04:58 in Music & Video

1. #21 | 2120807
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

Default Re: Best cover version that you didn't know was a cover...

Fork Me
    You got me with that one! I always thought Lonnie Donegan's version was the original.
    Wow. I bet that doesn't happen often - you are so knowledgeable about music!
    Liked by: Fork Me

2. #22 | 2120909
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

OK, I'll include Nut Rocker by B. Bumble & The Stingers because until about ten years ago I didn't know it was a cover (well, parody maybe) of this:

YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: Luna

3. #23 | 2120934
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Memnoch
    OK, I'll include Nut Rocker by B. Bumble & The Stingers because until about ten years ago I didn't know it was a cover (well, parody maybe) of this:
    To be fair, there is a clue in the title!
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

4. #24 | 2120957
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Fork Me
    To be fair, there is a clue in the title!
    Which to be honest I missed.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: Fork Me

5. #25 | 2121196
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

"Drift Away" is Dobie Gray's greatest hit, and IMO one of the great Rock/Soul (or whatever you call the genre) classics of all time. For a long time I assumed he wrote it. But in fact it was written by a geezer called Mentor Williams, whom I'd never even heard of before. He was a singer/songwriter in his own right (not just a songwriter for someone else, eg Bernie Taupin/Elton John) but I can't even find a video of him singing it. If anyone can, please post it.

Here's the Dobie Gray version.

It was also covered by Roy Orbison.

6. #26 | 2121210
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

7. #27 | 2121225
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Plutonium
    "Drift Away" is Dobie Gray's greatest hit, and IMO one of the great Rock/Soul (or whatever you call the genre) classics of all time. For a long time I assumed he wrote it. But in fact it was written by a geezer called Mentor Williams, whom I'd never even heard of before. He was a singer/songwriter in his own right (not just a songwriter for someone else, eg Bernie Taupin/Elton John) but I can't even find a video of him singing it. If anyone can, please post it.
    Mentor Williams wrote it but he didn't record it.

The first person to actually record it, and therefore the original, was swamp rocker, John Henry Kurtz.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

8. #28 | 2121226
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

A different songwriter case.

In 1972 Mott The Hoople released All The Young Dudes, a song written by David Bowie.

However, David Bowie himself, also in 1972, recorded the song as well.

SO can we assume that the Bowie version is the original and the Mott The Hoople version the cover?

No. Bowie wrote the song for Mott The Hoople, it was released in July 1972 and charted. Bowie recorded his version in December 1972, while he was in the studio recording the Aladdin Sane album, however, it wasn't released. Bowie released a live version in '74, and the '72 recording wasn't released until 1995 on RarestOneBowie, it has since appeared on other Bowie compilations. So, even though Bowie wrote the song, his version is the cover.

9. #29 | 2121229
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

Fork Me
    Mentor Williams wrote it but he didn't record it.

The first person to actually record it, and therefore the original, was swamp rocker, John Henry Kurtz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJv8C8uZ_0
    But that is him singing it - live - in my video - isn't it, Forkers?

10. #30 | 2121230
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Luna
    But that is him singing it - live - in my video - isn't it, Forkers?
    No. That's a YouTuber doing a cover.

Thread Information