Opposing religious viewpoints
Started by Memnoch, 13th June 2019 20:02 in Religion & Philosophy

1. #1 | 2120635
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Default Opposing religious viewpoints

Someone says: "There is no compulsion in religion"

Then someone says: "Whoever changes his religion, kill him".

Wouldn't it be a mind-fuck if both pronouncements were written by the same infallible perfect messenger of god?

Oh, hang on...
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

2. #2 | 2120646
    here
    Wales

JUN

Default Re: Opposing religious viewpoints

I think Mr Fred is probably an authority on this.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

3. #3 | 2120680
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Memnoch
    Someone says: "There is no compulsion in religion"

Then someone says: "Whoever changes his religion, kill him".

Wouldn't it be a mind-fuck if both pronouncements were written by the same infallible perfect messenger of god?

Oh, hang on...
    Pretty much every religion has contradictions, and in pretty much every religion different denomonations, or sects, of that relgion choose which bits are the most important and then fight wars with each other about it.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

4. #4 | 2120681
    Lone Wolf & Cub

JUN

I was told that in Islam you're supposed to follow the statement that was said last.
    The more laws, the less justice- Marcus Tullius Cicero.

5. #5 | 2120697
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Fork Me
    Pretty much every religion has contradictions
    I wonder how many other religions' founders start off saying "Of course it's just my opinion guys, let's be nice" and then it's "Aha, at last I'm powerful. Now, followers, kill everyone who doesn't do as I say".
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

6. #6 | 2120698
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Memnoch
    Aha, at last I'm powerful. Now, followers, kill everyone who doesn't do as I say
    Hmm this sounds like the sort of things politicians say when they become leader of their party!

7. #7 | 2120699
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

JUN

Such things have been on my List for being Ashamed of being Human for about a Decade or Two.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

8. #8 | 2120718
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Memnoch
    I wonder how many other religions' founders start off saying "Of course it's just my opinion guys, let's be nice" and then it's "Aha, at last I'm powerful. Now, followers, kill everyone who doesn't do as I say".
    I assume you're referring to Mohammed, but he didn't say that either. In fact, he said, very clearly, that followers of the book (Jews and Christians) should be treated with respect. There are lots of violent bits as well, but, as you say, contradictions.

There's plenty of stuff in the bible about killing unbelievers as well, and not just in the Old Testament. http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/int/long.html

The problem with discussion of Christianity and Islam is that many people accept the kind, compassionate form of Christianity as the norm and the intolerant violent side of Islam as the norm. Which isn't true, both religions have their good bits and bad bits, and tolerant followers and intolerant followers.

If the majority of Islam sided with the extremists, we'd none of uis be alive, given how many Muslims there are in the world.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

9. #9 | 2120719
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

JUN

Fork Me
    I assume you're referring to Mohammed, but he didn't say that either. In fact, he said, very clearly, that followers of the book (Jews and Christians) should be treated with respect. There are lots of violent bits as well, but, as you say, contradictions.

There's plenty of stuff in the bible about killing unbelievers as well, and not just in the Old Testament.
    We don't do that any more. Muslims do.

10. #10 | 2120721
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

Lord Ponsonby
    We don't do that any more. Muslims do.
    You might not, but plenty of Christians elsewhere do.

The majority of Christians don't, but then the majority of Muslims don't either.

Personally, I'm not religious in the slightest, and don't have much time for any religion, but that doesn't mean I can't be tolerant.

The only way the global terrorism threat will be properly defeated is when we (by which I mean ALL tolerant people regardless of religion) take on the extremists as a united group. Tarring all Muslims with the same brush and creating a chasm between moderate Muslims and non-Muslims is EXACTLY what the extremists want. Divide and conquer. It also create MORE extremists, a young person who feels cut off from society, for whatever, reason is more likely to turn to extremism is some form. It makes no difference whether that person is a young Muslim who turns to Jihad or a young disaffected white kid who turns to Neo-Nazi groups.

Thread Information