"I am Mother"
Started by Memnoch, 13th June 2019 11:00 in TV & Entertainment

1. #1 | 2120561
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Default "I am Mother"

New film on Netflix.

Post-apocalypse, human race all but dead, robots in charge, blah blah blah. "Mother" is an android trying to repopulate the world with a new human race. Not a spoiler because that much is stated at the very start and the film seems to be an exploration of what it means to be a parent, but if you miss the subtle little one second clue at the end of the opening montage, the ending is going to be a real mind-fuck. I spotted the anomaly but still didn't fully get what was going on until about five minutes after the film finished

Here's the clue:

YOU LOST. AGAIN.

2. #2 | 2120739
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Canada

JUN

Default Re: "I am Mother"

Another instance of a Terminator Style Crap.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

3. #3 | 2120742
    BC Member
    Ireland

JUN

Memnoch
    New film on Netflix.

Post-apocalypse, human race all but dead, robots in charge, blah blah blah. "Mother" is an android trying to repopulate the world with a new human race. Not a spoiler because that much is stated at the very start and the film seems to be an exploration of what it means to be a parent, but if you miss the subtle little one second clue at the end of the opening montage, the ending is going to be a real mind-fuck. I spotted the anomaly but still didn't fully get what was going on until about five minutes after the film finished

Here's the clue:

Sounds like one to miss!
    Liked by: Dordie

4. #4 | 2120770
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

TheDruid 3X3
    Another instance of a Terminator Style Crap.
    In what way is it similar to Terminator? Apart from the fact that there's a robot in it?

I think it's more like I Robot, but with a much deeper examination of the interplay between logic and morality.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

5. #5 | 2121198
    Just an allusion
    England

JUN

I haven't seen it yet, I saw the trailer the other day and added it to 'my list' for future viewing so I shan't be looking at the spoiler. Is it any good?
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

6. #6 | 2121199
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Alice
    I haven't seen it yet, I saw the trailer the other day and added it to 'my list' for future viewing so I shan't be looking at the spoiler. Is it any good?
    Subjective of course but I was hooked from the start to the finish. There are no distracting sub-plots. Everything is relevant - even some things that look superfluous at first glance so it's perfectly fine to spend the whole film asking yourself "How did that get there? Why did she do that? Who's outside?". In fact, the more critically you view it, the more sense it makes at the end. I would rate this in my top ten for the year so far.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

7. #7 | 2121228
    Just an allusion
    England

JUN

Memnoch
    Subjective of course but I was hooked from the start to the finish. There are no distracting sub-plots. Everything is relevant - even some things that look superfluous at first glance so it's perfectly fine to spend the whole film asking yourself "How did that get there? Why did she do that? Who's outside?". In fact, the more critically you view it, the more sense it makes at the end. I would rate this in my top ten for the year so far.
    Good to hear, I was worried it would be one of those films that show you all the best bits in the trailer.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

8. #8 | 2124129
    Just an allusion
    England

JUL

I finally got around to watching this. I wasn't expecting much as someone else, who has similar tastes to me, said they hadn't enjoyed it. I spent half the film trying to decide if Mother was good or bad. The film was quite tense at times and the future it portrayed was suitably bleak. Had to roll my eyes near the end at the attempt to tick a diversity box though. Overall I enjoyed this film, if you like grown up sci-fi I think you would enhoy it too. Then again, maybe don't listen to me. I rate Vanilla Sky in my top 10 sci-fi films of all time and a lot of people hate it.

9. #9 | 2124131
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUL

Alice
    I finally got around to watching this. I wasn't expecting much as someone else, who has similar tastes to me, said they hadn't enjoyed it. I spent half the film trying to decide if Mother was good or bad. The film was quite tense at times and the future it portrayed was suitably bleak. Had to roll my eyes near the end at the attempt to tick a diversity box though. Overall I enjoyed this film, if you like grown up sci-fi I think you would enhoy it too. Then again, maybe don't listen to me. I rate Vanilla Sky in my top 10 sci-fi films of all time and a lot of people hate it.
    Does "Enhoy" mean I'll throw it somewhere?

10. #10 | 2124136
    Just an allusion
    England

JUL

Reg Perrin
    Does "Enhoy" mean I'll throw it somewhere?
    You stick to Toy Story, Pedant Perrin.
    Liked by: sphinx

Thread Information