Heavy rain all day
Started by Scrotnig, 11th June 2019 20:58 in Serious Discussion

1. #11 | 2120326
    Fat, old hippy

JUN

Default Re: Heavy rain all day

Scrotnig
    I've been reusing carrier bags for years now.

Plastic straws I'll give up once someone makes an alternative that isn't shit. Then again I didn't use them often anyhow. I've taken to keeping the plastic straws I do have and rinsing them for use by me another time. So howzat?

I don't mind doing most of this stuff, I do resent being told by jobsworths in government that I'll be prosecuted if I don't, meanwhile people get beaten up, stabbed and burgled and nobody gives a shit.

Mutter,
    Scrotnig
    Thatíll do... for now. Iíll return with further demands later on.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

2. #12 | 2120328
    Fat, old hippy

JUN

If youíre lucky.

3. #13 | 2120329
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

While we're at it...

Until recently the Co-Op made carrier bags that were fully bio-degradable. Indeed if you tried to store them in a cupboard they disintegrated. Why were these not exempt from the 5p 'plastic tax' since they weren't actually made of plastic?

Surely not because the 'plastic tax' is all about profit and sod all to do with the environment!

4. #14 | 2120337
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Scrotnig
    I've been reusing carrier bags for years now.

Plastic straws I'll give up once someone makes an alternative that isn't shit. Then again I didn't use them often anyhow. I've taken to keeping the plastic straws I do have and rinsing them for use by me another time. So howzat?

I don't mind doing most of this stuff, I do resent being told by jobsworths in government that I'll be prosecuted if I don't, meanwhile people get beaten up, stabbed and burgled and nobody gives a shit.

Mutter,
    Scrotnig
    Nobody is going to prosecute you for not re-using stuff. You might get prosecuted for not disposing of stuff properly and I'm OK with that. But what the law really needs to do is stop the plastics being made in the first place - especially things that are specifically designed for single use. Like the silly 5p carrier bags. They're not reusable because they are so pathetically flimsy, anything with a corner will instantly destroy them. I used to bash down the corners of cardboard containers but it was too much of a faff so I use hessian bags now. I still have a couple of the Co Op's reusable bags with the long handles - admittedly they are partly plastic but the two I have are about three years old and in good nick.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: LadyLush

5. #15 | 2120339
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Memnoch
    Nobody is going to prosecute you for not re-using stuff. You might get prosecuted for not disposing of stuff properly and I'm OK with that. But what the law really needs to do is stop the plastics being made in the first place - especially things that are specifically designed for single use. Like the silly 5p carrier bags. They're not reusable because they are so pathetically flimsy, anything with a corner will instantly destroy them. I used to bash down the corners of cardboard containers but it was too much of a faff so I use hessian bags now. I still have a couple of the Co Op's reusable bags with the long handles - admittedly they are partly plastic but the two I have are about three years old and in good nick.
    Most 5p bags these days are much stronger than the old single use ones and are good for dozens and dozens of uses.

I have four giant bright green Lincolnshire Co-Op bags that I bought (£1 each) at least three years ago and they are the best bags anyone ever made. They hold tons and I have used them, literally, hundreds of times. They even have a shoulder strap. Sadly they don't sell them any more, last time I was up there none of the Co-Ops had them.

6. #16 | 2120343
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Scrotnig
    While we're at it...

Until recently the Co-Op made carrier bags that were fully bio-degradable. Indeed if you tried to store them in a cupboard they disintegrated. Why were these not exempt from the 5p 'plastic tax' since they weren't actually made of plastic?

Surely not because the 'plastic tax' is all about profit and sod all to do with the environment!
    Sorry, but if they were biodegradable, they weren't plastic. Some plastics are partly photodegradable, but that takes ages and doesn't work if they're buried. Plastics presented as biodegradable just get broken down into smaller and smaller pieces, but the plastic itself remains the same kind of plastic it started out as. They end up small enough to become part of the soil and then absorbed by plants, which you then eat. Wouldn't surprise me if there are already plastic kidney stones.
    I know that there has been work on creating bacteria specifically to convert plastics into their constituent elements/compounds, but they could mutate into God knows what and they'd probably have toxic by products anyway so I'm not in favour of that.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: LadyLush

7. #17 | 2120346
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Scrotnig
    Most 5p bags these days are much stronger than the old single use ones and are good for dozens and dozens of uses.

I have four giant bright green Lincolnshire Co-Op bags that I bought (£1 each) at least three years ago and they are the best bags anyone ever made. They hold tons and I have used them, literally, hundreds of times. They even have a shoulder strap. Sadly they don't sell them any more, last time I was up there none of the Co-Ops had them.
    Sounds like the ones I'm on about, do they also have short handles as well as the shoulder straps? My local Co Op still has them. I can send you some if you'd like.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

8. #18 | 2120389
    Fluffed out
    England

JUN

Scrotnig
    While we're at it...

They probably were exempt from the tax. That doesn't mean they're free to produce though, so perhaps the Co-op were charging cost price. When I started university in 1978, supermarkets used to charge for carrier bags - 2p, I think, which in today's terms would be a lot more than the current 5p. It doesn't seem unreasonable to pay for something that costs money to produce. Having said that, shops that give you paper carrier bags don't charge, and at Leicester market they bung the veggies in a plastic bag and don't charge you.

9. #19 | 2120413
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Scrotnig
    All this heavy rain...it is the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Note that last summer the distinct LACK of rain was ALSO the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Does global warming cause too much rain, or too little? You decide!
    Global warming leads to more extremes of weather.

10. #20 | 2120419
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

JUN

Scrotnig
    All this heavy rain...it is the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Note that last summer the distinct LACK of rain was ALSO the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Does global warming cause too much rain, or too little? You decide!
    So everything Bad that happens is Blamed on Global Warming, eh?

Well - that gives the Jews a Break for getting the Blame for everything that goes Wrong.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

Thread Information