If (or when) money fails....
Started by sphinx, 4th June 2019 22:44 in Talk & Chat

1. #11 | 2119466
    Second wife required

JUN

Default Re: If (or when) money fails....

I've been on radio quite a few times and done a lot of stage work. Add my notable public speaking abilities at conferences, and I can make a living.
    Come to think of it, that's what I do now.
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

2. #12 | 2119478
    Tinselshit

JUN

Nice Fred
    I've been on radio quite a few times and done a lot of stage work. Add my notable public speaking abilities at conferences, and I can make a living.
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #13 | 2119483
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Nice Fred
    I thought you were a tee-chur.

4. #14 | 2119485
    Second wife required

JUN

Scrotnig
    I thought you were a tee-chur.
    Nope.
    I did a little stint for eight years, but I started a new job last summer. This involves a lot of motivational speaking and I get to travel all over the country for free.
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

5. #15 | 2119655
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

JUN

Nice Fred
    I'm not denigrating your skills, Fred, but would these be of any use in the scenario envisaged in the OP, in which the monetary system has broken down?

You give a speech at a conference. How are they going to pay you, without money? 60 bags of rice? Who's going to have to time to give conferences, if they're busy growing rice?

No, the logic of a society without money is that most people will revert to subsistence farming.

If I'm not a food producer, I will need something that I can barter with food producers for food.

I can barter my CD player for food today. But I will be hungry again tomorrow, and I won't have a CD player to barter.

So I will have to start growing my own food.

That might not be a problem for me, because I have a fairly large garden. But many people don't have land they can grow food on, so there will be widespread hunger. And a hungry man is an angry man, so it wouldn't be pleasant.

6. #16 | 2119679
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUN

sphinx
    What have BC members got to offer for barter?
    Chemicals... lots of chemicals.

I'm sure that is a post-apocalyptic world I can do quite well in the short term as long as I employ a good enough security force.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

7. #17 | 2119718
    Fat, old hippy

JUN

Id be fine, I would need a water purification system of some kind and some chickens and Id be good, I already know how to preserve, dry and smoke food, I make most food myself and I grow enough fruit, veg and herbs to last us a through the year and my husband keeps enough seeds to grow the following year, Ive got rabbits and guinea pigs, if we didnt have other options Id let them have babies and eat the meat. In the event of an apocalypse you can all all come to mine.
    Liked by: Luna, Plutonium, sphinx

8. #18 | 2119759
    Just an allusion
    England

JUN

LadyLush
    Id be fine, I would need a water purification system of some kind and some chickens and Id be good, I already know how to preserve, dry and smoke food, I make most food myself and I grow enough fruit, veg and herbs to last us a through the year and my husband keeps enough seeds to grow the following year, Ive got rabbits and guinea pigs, if we didnt have other options Id let them have babies and eat the meat. In the event of an apocalypse you can all all come to mine.
    Rabbit pancakes with plum sauce and sweet and sour Guinea Pig with chips for me please. I'm guessing rice might be a problem.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

9. #19 | 2119818
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Don't rabbits and guinea pigs have to eat in order to reproduce? Why not just eat their food?
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

10. #20 | 2119843
    Fluffed out
    England

JUN

I don't think I'd do very well. My core skill is computer programming, which will be of limited use when we go back to the Stone Age.

I could make bread from scratch, provided grains were still available. I could probably cook a half decent meal in return for some veggies. Obviously, as I'm a giant of a man, I might be able to get myself a job working as Joe 90's bodyguard, in return for some of the goodies that he repossesses from people's houses
    Liked by: Plutonium, sphinx

Thread Information