Eurovision
Started by Plutonium, 23rd May 2019 22:02 in Music & Video

1. #1 | 2117369
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

MAY

Default Eurovision

I don't normally watch the Eurovision Song Contest. However, I was interested in the news that, following the discovery of a flaw in the voting procedure, the UK's entry was docked 5 points. It was already last with 16 points, and this was reduced to 11 points.

I was intrigued to listen to the UK entry, as I assumed from this that it must be dire even by Eurovision standards. Here it is, "Bigger than Us" sung by Michael Rice.

Well, I don't think it's too bad. Though slightly repetitive it is sung professionally. What do other people on the forum think?

Without having sat through all 26 entries, from past form I can't believe this was the worst song on the contest.

No, I think this was a politically motivated vote. It wasn't about the song or the artist, it is about the UK being punished for Brexit. Of the 40 countries with voting rights on the contest, 27 are either EU countries or have applied to join the EU, and they wanted to send us a message.

The countries voting for Britain:

Belarus - 5 points (then disqualified, very convenient eh?)
    Ireland - 3 points
    Norway - 2 points
    Hungary - 2 points
    Switzerland - 1 point
    Georgia - 1 point

... all but two of which are non-EU and non-EU candidate countries. Coincidence? I don't think so.

2. #2 | 2117370
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

MAY

Default Re: Eurovision

BTW what the f^^^ is Australia doing on Eurovision? It's about as far from Europe as it's possible to get, without leaving the Earth.
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2117371
    BC Member
    BC Team

MAY

The problem with our song is it's dull and bland and sounds like a load of X-Factor pap.

People say we do badly because nobody likes us but that's not the case. When we've actually put some effort in, such as in 2009 when Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the song, we did really well and came fifth.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, Luna, sphinx

4. #4 | 2117375
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

MAY

Scrotnig
    The problem with our song is it's dull and bland and sounds like a load of X-Factor pap.

People say we do badly because nobody likes us but that's not the case. When we've actually put some effort in, such as in 2009 when Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the song, we did really well and came fifth.
    So coming fifth counts as "doing really well" for us? What was the song?

5. #5 | 2117378
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

MAY

Plutonium
    So coming fifth counts as "doing really well" for us? What was the song?
    "I wanna be 5th"
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, Fork Me

6. #6 | 2117394
    BC Member
    Cyprus

MAY

The best pisstake of Eurovision ever. Lithuania 2006. Watch out for the baldy guy on the end.

They came 6th. (It was the year that Lordi won for Finland)
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service annoncement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

7. #7 | 2117405
    Independent
    United Kingdom

MAY

Scrotnig
    The problem with our song is it's dull and bland
    However, revising a score from something to nothing isn't a "miscalculation" is it? Either it got votes or it didn't.

I haven't heard all the songs but I have heard at least four that were much worse. I mean, yes, it's shit, but better than some of the other shit.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

Thread Information