Have you got a "Measure King"?
Started by Memnoch, 14th May 2019 07:59 in Computers, Phones & Gadgets

1. #1 | 2115905
    Independent
    United Kingdom

MAY

Default Have you got a "Measure King"?

Looks like a metal tape measure but isn't. Three modes; roll, cord and laser and it's the laser I'm really skeptical about. The idea is it sends out a pulse of light and measures the time it takes to reflect back. Perfectly sound in principle. However, if I bounce the laser beam off a wall 6 metres away, it will take 1/25millionth of a second to come back. I doubt a hand held device retailing at thirty quid could measure such a small time increment, but if that weren't ridiculous enough it is claimed to be accurate to 1/100th of an inch, meaning it would have to be capable of discriminating a time interval of less than a picosecond, which is surely absurd?

Of course, I don't need accuracy anywhere near 1/100th of an inch, and it would be pointless even I did need that level of precision because you can't position the device itself that accurately, but still, if they're just making up silly numbers how can you trust it at all? So I was wondering if anyone here has one and if so, how accurate have you found it to actually be?
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

2. #2 | 2115910
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

MAY

Default Re: Have you got a "Measure King"?

Memnoch
    Looks like a metal tape measure but isn't. Three modes; roll, cord and laser and it's the laser I'm really skeptical about. The idea is it sends out a pulse of light and measures the time it takes to reflect back. Perfectly sound in principle. However, if I bounce the laser beam off a wall 6 metres away, it will take 1/25millionth of a second to come back. I doubt a hand held device retailing at thirty quid could measure such a small time increment, but if that weren't ridiculous enough it is claimed to be accurate to 1/100th of an inch, meaning it would have to be capable of discriminating a time interval of less than a picosecond, which is surely absurd?

Of course, I don't need accuracy anywhere near 1/100th of an inch, and it would be pointless even I did need that level of precision because you can't position the device itself that accurately, but still, if they're just making up silly numbers how can you trust it at all? So I was wondering if anyone here has one and if so, how accurate have you found it to actually be?
    I have one and it's accurate to 1/100th of an inch.
    Liked by: Fork Me

3. #3 | 2115912
    The second referendum just
    happened - Escape won big
    style

MAY

It's nice to see you looking at a product that advertises as an environmentally friendly item.
    Well done, you little eco-warrior
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

4. #4 | 2115913
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

MAY

Nice Fred
    It's nice to see you looking at a product that advertises as an environmentally friendly item.
    Well done, you little eco-warrior
    I won't say what he needs it to measure.

5. #5 | 2115916
    The second referendum just
    happened - Escape won big
    style

MAY

As long as it's longer that 2/100th of an inch, he's fine
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

Thread Information