Benidorm
Started by Reg Perrin, 20th April 2019 12:29 in Talk & Chat

1. #1 | 2112768
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

Default Benidorm

When I was a teenager in the early 70's I worked at a Kennels. The owners Mr and Mrs Foizey went on holiday every year to Benidorm. It was a thriving holiday resort even then. Makes you wonder when it transformed from a sleepy fishing village doesn't it.

Oh.....there you have it. Sometime prior to 1950.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. #2 | 2112790
    Love, love, love

APR

Default Re: Benidorm

Well, I'm fascinated by the modern history involved in this topic so it's unlikely I'll manage any sleep until I've researched it.
    Always remember to be kind, bright, and happy

3. #3 | 2112793
    Love, love, love

APR

Hang on, I've just realised.
    There was a Labour government in 1950 so most of Britain must have gone over that year in the hope of getting out of their way for a week or so.

You remember that bunch of idiots, they were the ones that tried growing peanuts in Tanganyika, a place that was useless for growing peanuts, but the idiotic project cost a lot more than peanuts - Labour governments are always peanut brained, just that lot actually tried it.
    Always remember to be kind, bright, and happy

4. #4 | 2112912
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

Did anyone visit Benidorm before it changed from a sleepy fishing village to a tourist hotspot in 1950?

5. #5 | 2112954
    BC Member
    Cyprus

APR

Nice Fred
    Hang on, I've just realised.
    There was a Labour government in 1950 so most of Britain must have gone over that year in the hope of getting out of their way for a week or so.

You remember that bunch of idiots, they were the ones that tried growing peanuts in Tanganyika, a place that was useless for growing peanuts, but the idiotic project cost a lot more than peanuts - Labour governments are always peanut brained, just that lot actually tried it.

Yes, the government that founded the NHS. One of the greatest and most important British Institutions ever to exists.

One that still exists despote constant Tory attempts to dismantle it.

Only a complete moron would ignore that to concentrate on peanuts...
    TheDruid 3X3
    I am a Perfectly Useless Jackass who Know Nothing

6. #6 | 2112965
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

Did you go to Benidorm when it was a sleepy fishing village Ponsonby? Being "well travelled" 'n all that?

7. #7 | 2113034
    Fluffed out
    England

APR

Reg Perrin
    Did you go to Benidorm when it was a sleepy fishing village Ponsonby? Being "well travelled" 'n all that?
    I'm amazed it got so busy by 1950 - I'd assumed it would have been the 1960s package deal boom.

You'd have to be knocking on a bit to have gone there prior to 1950. Ponsonby would be old enough, but I doubt he would have bothered going until till they stopped doing tapas and started doing Watneys Red Barrel and scampi and chips.

Thread Information