Why are there never any Threads about Ēostre /Ostara Celebrations?
Started by Bill. MC, 13th April 2019 15:07 in Paganism & Divinatory Arts

1. #1 | 2111662
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

APR

Default Why are there never any Threads about Ēostre /Ostara Celebrations?

The 3X3 Druid has posted threads for all the paganistic solar and seasonal celebration, but never any about Ēostre or Ostara.

2. #2 | 2111710
    BC Member
    Ireland

APR

Default Re: Why are there never any Threads about Ēostre /Ostara Celebrations?

Maybe you should start one, Bill, I am sure it would be good.
    Liked by: Bill. MC, sphinx

3. #3 | 2111886
    Stonehenge Enthusiast
    Isle of Man

APR

I believe that 'Ostara' is the Ancient Celtic Term for Spring Equinox.

Instead of calling it 'Ostara', I just call it 'Spring Equinox'.

But indeed Post things about Ostara here!

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.
    Liked by: Plutonium, sphinx

4. #4 | 2111887
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

I thought the Romans just commandeered it and called it Easter, or are you trying to be clever and obtuse?

5. #5 | 2112123
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

APR

Reg Perrin
    I thought the Romans just commandeered it and called it Easter, or are you trying to be clever and obtuse?
    The Christian Easter is based on the Jewish Passover. It is Christmas that the Romans commandeered. They took the winter solstice festival of Sol Invicta, the unconquered sun, and Christianised it. All the evidence indicates that Jesus was born in the summer.

6. #6 | 2112132
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

Plutonium
    The Christian Easter is based on the Jewish Passover. It is Christmas that the Romans commandeered. They took the winter solstice festival of Sol Invicta, the unconquered sun, and Christianised it. All the evidence indicates that Jesus was born in the summer.
    Oh, my History lecturer was wrong then.

EASTER IN THE UK
    In the UK Easter is one of the major Christian festivals of the year. It is full of customs, folklore and traditional food. However, Easter in Britain has its beginnings long before the arrival of Christianity. Many theologians believe Easter itself is named after the Anglo-Saxon goddess of the dawn and spring - Eostre.

7. #7 | 2112199
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

APR

TheDruid 3X3
    I believe that 'Ostara' is the Ancient Celtic Term for Spring Equinox.

Instead of calling it 'Ostara', I just call it 'Spring Equinox'.

But indeed Post things about Ostara here!

3X3
    No Eostre or Ostara was the West Germanic fertility goddess who was celebrated during the Spring Equinox. I blame the Wiccans for your misunderstanding of this historical fact. The Wiccans hi jacked the term and used it for their Spirng Equinox celebrations.

Nevertheless I expect the Celtic folk and other Europeans also celebrated Eostre/Ostara, thus explaining why the early Church fathers transferred her into Easter.

There is another fertility goddess with a similar sounding name - Ishtar - a Babylonian goddess, which was probably common throughout the Mediterrian. She was also associated with eggs and bunnies and shared the same fate from the Church as did as Eostre/Ostara.
    Liked by: sphinx

8. #8 | 2112221
    BC Member
    Ireland

APR

Celts always respected eggs and Hares as symbols of fertility.

The Easter Bunny came to us from america via German immigrant folk tales of an egg laying bunny!
    Liked by: Bill. MC

9. #9 | 2112355
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

APR

Plutonium
    Bad Google!

10. #10 | 2112367
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

Because you dedicated 10 obsessive minutes to doing a good one, right?

Thread Information