Time
Started by parsonstreet, 4th April 2019 13:42 in Science & Astronomy

1. #1 | 2110193
    here
    Wales

APR

Default Time

Can you have time without matter and motion?

Can you describe time without matter and motion?
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

2. #2 | 2110199
    Official Forker the Porker
    stalker
    Pakistan

APR

Default Re: Time

parsonstreet
    Does it matter?
    Rees Mogg for PM
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2110206
    BC Member
    England

APR

parsonstreet

You can get time for arson.

HTH
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!
    Liked by: BobBobson, sphinx

4. #4 | 2110207
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

parsonstreet

Did you listen to the Radio programme on animals perception of time? The answer in that programme might be no. Our human time is simply a measure of those things. As flies (for instance) process many more things in one second (one of our seconds) their time is slower. That's why they can dodge getting squatted, the piece of newspaper is travelling slower to them than it is to us. I hope this helps your attempt at appearing philosophical over a subject you just heard simply explained.

5. #5 | 2110217
    here
    Wales

APR

Dordie
    You can get time for arson.

HTH
    Time for reflection.
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

6. #6 | 2110218
    here
    Wales

APR

Time seems necessary for matter and motion to exist in some kind of interdependence.

7. #7 | 2110224
    Independent
    United Kingdom

APR

parsonstreet
    You have become interesting in my absence. Good question.

No I can't, but that's not conclusive.

Time without Motion: If things didn't move nothing would change and if nothing changed, time would seem to be a meaningless concept. If you had two identical snapshots of the Universe, there'd be no way to tell if a second or a century had passed between the first and the second.

Time without matter: If we are defining "matter" as that which has mass, then according to Einstein all matter experiences the passage of time whereas massless objects don't. Relativity says that everything moves through 4D spacetime at the same speed but when modelled 2Dimensionally, some of that motion is on the space axis and some on the time axis. For an object at velocity=c all of the motion is on the space axis, i.e. no time passes. For an object with non-zero mass, velocity=c is impossible, so some of its spacetime motion must be on the time axis. Thus, matter without time cannot be, but does that mean also that time without matter can't happen either?

My conclusion: Without motion and matter, there would be no way to measure time or to experience time so to all practical intents it wouldn't exist.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: Dordie, JaketheHuman, sphinx

8. #8 | 2110316
    Absquatulated

APR

Dole scroungers have loads of time, but the only motion you see from them is going to sign on.
    That's a matter of fact.
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

9. #9 | 2110317
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

APR

Memnoch
    You have become interesting in my absence. Good question.

No I can't, but that's not conclusive.

Time without Motion: If things didn't move nothing would change and if nothing changed, time would seem to be a meaningless concept. If you had two identical snapshots of the Universe, there'd be no way to tell if a second or a century had passed between the first and the second.

Time without matter: If we are defining "matter" as that which has mass, then according to Einstein all matter experiences the passage of time whereas massless objects don't. Relativity says that everything moves through 4D spacetime at the same speed but when modelled 2Dimensionally, some of that motion is on the space axis and some on the time axis. For an object at velocity=c all of the motion is on the space axis, i.e. no time passes. For an object with non-zero mass, velocity=c is impossible, so some of its spacetime motion must be on the time axis. Thus, matter without time cannot be, but does that mean also that time without matter can't happen either?

My conclusion: Without motion and matter, there would be no way to measure time or to experience time so to all practical intents it wouldn't exist.
    Fuck off yer pretentious twat. I'm really interested to see how Joe reacts to his displacement.

10. #10 | 2110431
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

APR

Nice Fred
    but the only motion you see from them is going to sign on.
    Surely they can do that 'on line' nowadays? Or at least by post.

Thread Information