Today is Holocaust Memorial Day
Started by Plutonium, 27th January 2019 11:58 in Serious Discussion

1. #41 | 2104021
    Fluffed out
    England

FEB

Default Re: Today is Holocaust Memorial Day

Plutonium
    It's interesting how this thread about Holocaust Memorial Day has been hijacked for a bit of good old Israel bashing.

Perhaps the anti-Zionists need to stop and consider that the Holocaust is the very reason for Israel's existence. Prior to the rise of the Nazis, Jews in European countries mainly considered themselves to be citizens of those countries; they were French, Germans etc of the Jewish persuasion, no different from being Catholics, Protestants, atheists or whatever. That idea died in the Nazi Holocaust. People of a quarter Jewish ancestry or more were targeted. irrespective of whether or not they were practising Jews - many had converted to Catholicism. So after the war, with the liberation of the concentration camps and the discovery of the atrocities there, there was an overwhelming movement to give the Jews a homeland of their own, where they would be safe from any future pogroms.

The only question was, where this should be? Obviously the Bible says it should be in Palestine. But in practical terms, I would have said the best place for it would have been in territory seized from the Germans. Silesia, Pomerania and East Prussia were ethnically cleansed of Germans and incorporated into Poland and the USSR. That area could have been used as the Jewish homeland. However, it wasn't, and the young UN decided to apportion Palestine between Israel and the Palestinians. The upshot has been, unfortunately, a second diaspora, of Palestinians into neighbouring countries. But we are where we are. I don't think it is constructive to say the solution is for a return to the pre-1947 situation; the only people who maintain that are extreme anti-Zionists and anti-semites (and there is of course an overlap between the two). The only way forward, IMO, is a just solution based on two states in the area; and the Palestinian diaspora, most of whom now were born in their current countries, should be given full citizenship in their countries of birth.
    Totally agree. I think, in some respects, the "bad guy" in this - or at least, the naive one - was Britain who promised exactly the same land to both Jews and Arabs after WWI, but without telling the other party.
    Liked by: Plutonium

2. #42 | 2104066
    Hammond and May out
    England

FEB

Chris Mitchell
    Totally agree. I think, in some respects, the "bad guy" in this - or at least, the naive one - was Britain who promised exactly the same land to both Jews and Arabs after WWI, but without telling the other party.
    Had they been told they would still have rowed, the Arabs are are always rowing.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.
    Fork Me is a decent type, pity he's such a twat!

3. #43 | 2104068
    Fluffed out
    England

FEB

Dordie
    Had they been told they would still have rowed, the Arabs are are always rowing.
    Gently down the stream?
    Liked by: nicknotnicked

Thread Information