Henry and Anne (special FAO Chris Mitchell)
Started by Luna, 11th January 2019 20:44 in TV & Entertainment

1. #1 | 2100552
    BC Member
    Ireland

JAN

Default Henry and Anne (special FAO Chris Mitchell)

I have just watched this extraordinary documentary on DVD -It is (as you may have guessed) an account of the love affair between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. It is presented by historian, Dr Suzannah Lipscomb, and is not the usual 'historical Mills & Boon' type of thing at all - but is based on documentary evidence. Dr Lipscomb visits the places where Anne and Henry lived and shows us parts which, perhaps, are not open to the public. She travelled to france - to the amazing palace of Queen Claude and Francis I, and spoke to historians about life at the french court at the time Anne was educated there. - which was not, apparently, as licentious as novelists/film makers would have us believe.

Dr Lipscomb also takes us to the National Archives looks at the passionate love letters, written transcripts of Anne's trial - even an eye-witness account of her last words on the day of her execution. I had not realised it was customary for a scribe to be present at important executions for this very purpose. Also in the NA was a 'Book of Hours' beautifully illustrated - used by both Anne and Henry - as their handwritten love notes in the margins show. Imagine being able to look at/handle something that belonged to two such influential characters from the past! It is a truly remarkable documentary - for anyone interested in Tudor history anyway.

The most remarkable thing being - in the credits - ti was filmed, produced and directed by ...

Chris Mitchell !!

Thanks Chris - and well done - it is brilliant!

2. #2 | 2101361
    Fluffed out
    England

JAN

Default Re: Henry and Anne (special FAO Chris Mitchell)

Luna
    I have just watched this extraordinary documentary on DVD -It is (as you may have guessed) an account of the love affair between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. It is presented by historian, Dr Suzannah Lipscomb, and is not the usual 'historical Mills & Boon' type of thing at all - but is based on documentary evidence. Dr Lipscomb visits the places where Anne and Henry lived and shows us parts which, perhaps, are not open to the public. She travelled to france - to the amazing palace of Queen Claude and Francis I, and spoke to historians about life at the french court at the time Anne was educated there. - which was not, apparently, as licentious as novelists/film makers would have us believe.

Dr Lipscomb also takes us to the National Archives looks at the passionate love letters, written transcripts of Anne's trial - even an eye-witness account of her last words on the day of her execution. I had not realised it was customary for a scribe to be present at important executions for this very purpose. Also in the NA was a 'Book of Hours' beautifully illustrated - used by both Anne and Henry - as their handwritten love notes in the margins show. Imagine being able to look at/handle something that belonged to two such influential characters from the past! It is a truly remarkable documentary - for anyone interested in Tudor history anyway.

The most remarkable thing being - in the credits - ti was filmed, produced and directed by ...

Chris Mitchell !!

Thanks Chris - and well done - it is brilliant!
    Aha! Missed this post, Luna, so thanks for the reminder

By a strange coincidence, I missed your post because I was in London - where I happened to watch that very programme! The following day, I went to Hampton Court Palace, and saw Henry VIII's apartments.

I'd love to take the credit for the programme (which was indeed very good), but alas I cannot tell a lie (except when Scrot asks me if his arse looks big in his new dress, then I can). Chris Mitchell seems to be a remarkably common name (I knew two Chris Mitchells in Bristol alone - one who worked at the Bristol Spark, and another who was about my age, lived a couple of streets away from me and was also an raving poovre). If you Google Chris Mitchell and do an image search, I'm number 39. The most famous one was apparently a Scottish footballer who was tragically hit by a train two years ago and was killed.
    Liked by: Luna

3. #3 | 2101371
    Fluffed out
    England

JAN

Even more extraordinary - I've just seen you said you saw it on DVD, so it's all the more remarkable that Channel 5 just happened to show it last Saturday, the day after you posted this!
    Liked by: Luna, sphinx

4. #4 | 2101450
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JAN

I too watched the programme, it was excellent.

p.s. and there's me thinking I was on a forum with a famous member
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

5. #5 | 2101458
    Fluffed out
    England

JAN

superwoman

p.s. and there's me thinking I was on a forum with a famous member
    I'm not sure about famous members, but there are some right tools on here!
    Liked by: sphinx, superwoman

6. #6 | 2101462
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JAN

Chris Mitchell
    I'm not sure about famous members, but there are some right tools on here!

7. #7 | 2101463
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JAN

Chris Mitchell
    I knew two Chris Mitchells in Bristol alone
    I know a Mitch Cristell...

8. #8 | 2101479
    BC Member
    Ireland

JAN

superwoman
    It gave a new perspective on that whole affair - and Suzannah Lipscomb's enthusiasm is compelling!

9. #9 | 2101481
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

JAN

Luna
    It gave a new perspective on that whole affair - and Suzannah Lipscomb's enthusiasm is compelling!
    Not half as compelling as yours. :
    Liked by: Luna

10. #10 | 2101488
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JAN

Chris Mitchell
    Chris Mitchell seems to be a remarkably common name (I knew two Chris Mitchells in Bristol alone -
    Reminded me of this great bit of comedy from The Van (based on the third book in The Barrytown Triligy by Roddy Doyle), the important bit starts 47 seconds in.

TheDruid 3X3
    I am a Perfectly Useless Jackass who Know Nothing

Thread Information